Weak Legs!!! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Stormsgate, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

About a month ago i suffered from what seems to be severe dehydration. Ever since then my legs have been very weak. I feel like I'm walking on stumps and my legs give out very quickly when exerting very hard. I have been to the doctor and they did a test on blood cells and electrolytes and told me everything was normal. I have had several days off at a time and it does not seem to do any good. Everything seems normal except my legs. It is really hurting my cycling. Now on three weekends in a row on group rides that I could normally dominate or at least be with the fast group, I am now in the situation of ALMOST NOT MAKING IT HOME. I have no idea what is going on. Does anybody have any advice? I'm desperate for ideas and help on this situation!!!

Tags:

2. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

I forgot to say that my heart has been fluttering a whole lot.....like all the time even though my electrolyte test came out fine.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Sounds like you are or were fit,but you don't state you age, sleep patterns,diet,training routine and other information. Of course even if you did we amateur diagnosticians couldn't give a reasonable answer. That being said a lot of things can cause weakness beside electrolytes.
    Thryroid imbalance and several other conditions can cause weakness.
    It may be time to get more indepth diagnostics if it doesn't clear up soon.
    I know of a pro cyclist named Jan that has been suffering from Pfeiffersche Druesenfieber the last few weeks. I haven't researched the translation to exactly what that is but it does cause weakness I hear.

4. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

Thank you! Love your state by the way!! Did three state this year in Chattanooga.....beautiful!

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Thanks, I like it even better a little further east in the mountains. I just wish the temperature would drop a little.

6. lanierb

lanierb New Member

My first reaction was to say you should just take a week or two off and not think about training or dieting during that time and get good sleep, and I'd bet it would pass.

I still think that, but if your heart is actually "fluttering" then there could be something wrong and you might want to get that checked.

7. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED. It was not over training but lack of Potassium. It also runs in the family without even exercising! I thank GOD. I'm:D very Happy! have most of my strength back! I need a lot more potassium than the average athlete and this heat in the south this summer did not help things!

8. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

Potassium is defiantly underrated.

I saw good gains too when I started taking a multi-mineral complex.

9. CaLDwELLkID

CaLDwELLkID New Member

What did u take ? Or just eat mass bananas ? lol Im having the same problem. Getting beat by people i normally beat. Feeling dead after a couple of sprints. Walking up my stairs in my house feeling it hard in the legs! Only the legs...Im taking Stim-o-Stam.
    What did u take ?

10. Rolandfernandez

Rolandfernandez New Member

Go to your doctor man. If your low on pottasium your doc will give you pottasium pills. you'd have to eat A LOT OF BANANAS to make that up. Your doc will give you the best results.

11. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

I agree with that. That is where Im getting them from

12. CaLDwELLkID

CaLDwELLkID New Member

Can u test if u are low on potassium ? B/c my blood tests came back normal. Still go and get the pills ?

13. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

Or better still purchase a Multi-mineral complex which covers everything. Potassium, magnesium and calcium are the main players though of that complex.

14. Stormsgate

Stormsgate New Member

Mine too! Make sure you go see a sport medicine doctor that specializes in endurance type sports because it could be a lot of things. He should be able to help you when a normal doctor may not