Weapons an Cycling

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
Many topics have been posted about bad drivers and encounters with offensive individuals. I was wondering how many people carry a weapon or have considered it for self defense or otherwise. I don't because I would probably end up using it and case great complications for myself.

I have twin mounted mini-guns on my bike, with a my back-up mortar launcher on the back rack just in case I need to take care of any aggressive volvo drivers. I pack a Magnum 44 in my jersey for when I'm off the bike - you can never be too careful.

Nice.

I have never carried a weapon -- Oh, I take that back, when I got pulled over two nights in a row in my car a few years back, and I didn't have insurance, I was told I would be arrested if I got caught again. So I started riding my bike. The problem was, I worked at UPS and started at 3:00AM. I had to go through a very bad part of town, so I wore my 9mm Smith & Wesson on my hip. No lie. I live in Arizona and anyone can wear a gun without a liscense if it is visible. I never had any trouble, thank goodness.

However, after reading all of the posts about being chased by dogs (I get chased one in awhile) and I still ride before light, I was thinking about investing in some mace. In fact, now that I think about it, where I ride to work, (I could drive now if I wanted to BTW, and did for a long time, but I choose to ride, It's good for the heart) most of the folks out walking for exercise carry sticks, so they must be worried about something, perhaps I should be also. (The 9mm is probably overkill, and back then I wore jean shorts when I rode, it would be a little hard to carry and handgun with my bike shorts, they don't come with belt loops)

b1_ said:
I have twin mounted mini-guns on my bike, with a my back-up mortar launcher on the back rack just in case I need to take care of any aggressive volvo drivers. I pack a Magnum 44 in my jersey for when I'm off the bike - you can never be too careful.

You da man!

And a few grenades can come into handy too.

Airweight is a revolver if I am not mistaken. Mine is a stainless steel, full size, 15 round clip, 9mm.

What state is that, anyway?

jhuskey said:
Many topics have been posted about bad drivers and encounters with offensive individuals. I was wondering how many people carry a weapon or have considered it for self defense or otherwise. I don't because I would probably end up using it and case great complications for myself.

When I cycled cross country I carried a machette and some mace. The machette I used to chop wood while camping. Otherwise, it was a waste of weight. But then I figured if any one tackled a 200 pound person with a machette showing had to be crazy and deserved what ever I gave them. To be honest, I've never even unpacked the mace. To date, no one has ever caused me trouble and I've cycled over 10,000 miles around the United States.

Trekker2017 said:
But then I figured if any one tackled a 200 pound person with a machette showing had to be crazy and deserved what ever I gave them.

Good point. That is kind of my feeling now, I weigh over 260, and am reasonably fit (~180 miles a week). So I don't worry about people so much where I go, but I have yet to meet a dog that cares how big you are. The bite still hurts. For this reason, I'm thinking of getting my hands on some mace.

However, if I mount it on my bike, that is one more thing I have to take off my bike each time I get to work. The other things include, panniers, headlight, headlight battery, 2 rear lights, cycle computer, water bottles, and then I can lock it up. It is a process.

amaddeus said:
Good point. That is kind of my feeling now, I weigh over 260, and am reasonably fit (~180 miles a week). So I don't worry about people so much where I go, but I have yet to meet a dog that cares how big you are. The bite still hurts. For this reason, I'm thinking of getting my hands on some mace.

However, if I mount it on my bike, that is one more thing I have to take off my bike each time I get to work. The other things include, panniers, headlight, headlight battery, 2 rear lights, cycle computer, water bottles, and then I can lock it up. It is a process.

They make pepper spray for runners that comes in small spray vials no bigger than a disposable lighter. They are sold at stores that cater to runners. I know it's still another thing to carry, but at least it is small. I just picked up one for use on dogs but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

keydates said:
Sounds dangerous. I guess it works (somewhat) though.
I live in AZ too, and that law (I think) actually works great. As my dad says, I'm not worried about the guys with the guns you can see, it's the ones you CANT see...

jhuskey said:
I carry a pistol in my Camelback whenever I'm not commuting to work - I'm military and you can't bring firearms on base. I have a concealed carry permit according to the law of my state and shoot regularly. I have found that I am actually much calmer and less likely to seek or escalate a confrontation when carrying a firearm because of the potential consequences. No flipping off drivers who get too close or anything similar. If you don't have that type of emotional control than I would stay away from firearms.

A big damn fist, a huge foot, a bike pump and when working an asp batton.
(and a loud mouth)

Don't need it. I have a flying "Mighty Mouse" and a "Tick" action figures mounted to my handlebars. They protect me ;)

Tim

I carry a stungun if I go into unfamiliar locations. Besides that, I have my portable pump on my back pocket... you'll never know when you need it, flats or otherwise...

With a few notable exceptions, most of the drivers in my neck of the woods are polite.

The ones who aren't, I ignore.

I figure that if anyone gets aggressive with me, they'll change their mind when they walk up to me and discover that I'm 6-foot-2, have a middle linebacker's build, and have an aluminum frame pump cradled in my right hand. :D

i actually carry a knife. after a few close calls with angry dogs, my mom asked that i start to bring one along. i have never had to use it though and often times i forget it (i can't imagine using it anyway, plus it must be one hell of a dog if it can outrun someone on a bicycle).

I have ridden with my 6 foot blowgun before and did squirrel shooting on the bike but I was only transporting the blowgun to my friends house.

All I need to do is flex my arms and my guns are unveiled....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

On a serious note, carry a weapon I think would just make a situation worse. Plus, I would be even more on edge, contemplating when to use my 'weapon'. I can understand why some people might, but I feel like I would make things worse if I had a real weapon.