Weapons an Cycling

I have two small bobbleheads statues on my handlebars- Jesus and Shiva (just in case one of them isn't right).

TD

Steerpike said:
I carry a knife in my pocket.

I don't carry any weapons, But I'm guessing I could just go McGuiver on their ass and stab them with my tire levers.
Speaking of knives and bicycles, though, I was in Europe recently and some news channel reported on a lady who was carrying a kitchen knife in her backpack (not for protection purposes) fell over and stabbed herself through the back pretty seriously, if not fatally.

Does it not alarm anyone that they live somewhere where carrying a weapon is even considered?

W8 thermonuclear device in pannier. Mutual assured destruction is the only way to go when dealing with road rage! :p

able organ said:
Does it not alarm anyone that they live somewhere where carrying a weapon is even considered?

It alarms me and disturbs me that people are killed over such things as sporting event soccer games ,football games,road rage. It's the attitude of people that disturbs me. We will find a way to kill each other emotions dictates we should do so. Weapons are not the cause. Animals don't have a thumb to grasp the bullet to place it in the chamber for firing .
We seem to be a primitive species on the emotional level with technology that eclipses us.
Then again what do I know .I am just a "Dumb Hillbilly" from the back woods.

H46Driver said:
I carry a pistol in my Camelback whenever I'm not commuting to work - I'm military and you can't bring firearms on base. I have a concealed carry permit according to the law of my state and shoot regularly. I have found that I am actually much calmer and less likely to seek or escalate a confrontation when carrying a firearm because of the potential consequences. No flipping off drivers who get too close or anything similar. If you don't have that type of emotional control than I would stay away from firearms.
Lady SW in Platypuss, all legal. Pepper spray on quick release. All new since my recent encounter. Geesh, it is getting so difficult.

I have a nice SpyderCo, but I rarely carry it.
I know about those laws in AZ. When I was going to school there, I got a ride from a classmate (also an out of towner), and when I got in his car, he put his 9mm on the dash. I had quite a surprised look, then he said the cops pulled him over for speeding and told him he had to have his gun in plain view. It felt strange riding with a gun right in front of me.:eek:

able organ said:

It alarms anyone who lives outside the USA. Obviously like you and me. But you can't blame these posters. They have been brought up this way to arm themselves, as the interpretation of the law allows, only because the equitability of the law allows his/her fellow American to likewise arm him/herself.

When you are on the outside looking in you see the absurd perspective.

I carry a pocket knife when I ride, but I consider it more of a tool than a weapon. I've never been too concerned about being assaulted while riding, and road rage is just a dumb reason to get into a fight. If I get into an argument with an outwardly aggressive person, the first thing I'm doing is getting out of there as fast as possible. There's absolutely no need to promote that kind of aggression.

I have a concealed handgun license in the state of TX. That being said, I carry everywhere. On the bicycle and the motorcycle I carry the KelTec P3ATand an extra magazine. It's a .380 with a capacity of 7 rounds.

cydewaze said:
Does mace/pepper spray work on dogs?

I don't know why it wouldn't. But, I could be wrong. There is something called Halt! that is supposed to be formulated for dogs.

bung said:
I don't know why it wouldn't. But, I could be wrong. There is something called Halt! that is supposed to be formulated for dogs.

I have found that a short blast from my zounds air horn often stops dogs in their tracks or sends them scurrying off the road

mike

cydewaze said:
I don't know either, but it's not something I'd like to find out while staring at a 90 lb Rot. ;)
try your h2o btl... in the face. Not your face.

bung said:

I have had first hand experience with halt.Dogs will drop and rub their eyes and roll. It works but if it blows back on you, your are screwed and if it is on your hands(and it probably will be) and you forget and rub or wipe your eyes, your screwed. It is not a good substance to be used while moving because you will drop rub your eyes and roll and ***** a lot :( .

able organ said:

In my travels around the United States, I have found nothing but the nicest most caring people I have ever encountered. When I first began my cycle touring, everyone I knew thought I was crazy for heading out alone. They were all sure that I was going to get mugged, robbed, murdered or raped. (The movie DELIVERANCE really struck a chord.) But none of that happened. And I came to the conclusion that this "fear" that seems to lurk behind those of us who carry/carried weapons was for the most part, media generated. (Thank you Michael Moore.)

The more time I spent on the road, the more I began to hear this kind of mantra: "Aren't you scared to be on the road by yourself?"
"Not in this town."
"Of course not in this town, but over in..." (and they would name the next town over. And I would cycle over to that town and they would ask the same aren't you scared question and I would say not in this town and they would say well of course not in this town and name another one. And I would cycle over to that new town and the mantra would be repeated until I reached the Pacific Ocean and ran out of towns.)

I can't tell you the number of times that people greeted me with smiles and invited me in for some Iced tea and some conversation. Michael Moore ought to make a movie out of that part of the American Experience because there are more people who will smile at you in this country than will try to kill you.

I do a little acting and a couple of years ago I was doing an off-off Broadway play down in New York City. One of the other actors had a broken leg and we were late getting out of performance and rushing over to Grand Central Station to get the last train out of the city. (Me on the Blue line, Matt on the Red). As we got into the Station, I realized there was no way that Matt who was on crutches was going to make it to his train. But then the strangest thing happened. One of the last homeless men to leave shouted at Matt "which platform?" Matt shouted back "22". Well the homeless man ran to platform 22 and shouted down to the conductor. "Man on crutches coming!" Do you know they held the train for Matt to get there. That's a New York City story... not that Farenheit 9/11 **** that Moore puts out to pander to the undeserving monied elite.

OK I'm off my soapbox. But if you want to meet some really nice people who will invite you into lunch and shake your hand after talking with you, just pick any blue highway and start peddaling.

jhuskey said:
I have had first hand experience with halt.Dogs will drop and rub their eyes and roll. It works but if it blows back on you, your are screwed and if it is on your hands(and it probably will be) and you forget and rub or wipe your eyes, your screwed. It is not a good substance to be used while moving because you will drop rub your eyes and roll and ***** a lot :( .
That's a good point. Maybe I'll stick to the water bottle.

Glock 27, 12% pepper spray, and a life long practice of Aikido (Which is totally useless when you're wearing speedplay cleats:) )

Only YOU can prevent yourself from becoming just another victim.

jhuskey said:
Many topics have been posted about bad drivers and encounters with offensive individuals. I was wondering how many people carry a weapon or have considered it for self defense or otherwise. I don't because I would probably end up using it and case great complications for myself.

szbert said:
Glock 27, 12% pepper spray, and a life long practice of Aikido (Which is totally useless when you're wearing speedplay cleats:) )

Only YOU can prevent yourself from becoming just another victim.
Well I do consider myself a weapon, as well as my heavy ass bike lock I wear around my shoulder. If I managed to clock someone on the head with that anchor, they'd go down for sure.