Weapons an Cycling

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by jhuskey, Aug 31, 2004.

1. copwatch

copwatch New Member

Sounds AWESOME! If my wife does her job and picks the winning lottery number this week, I'd love to take the whole family to visit South Africa! :D Can I bring my Glock or S&W?
    We just got a new MTB tandem and a new MTB for my son. We like to load up on our truck and head off into the Navajo Indian reservations near 4 corners (Where the states of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico meet.) I always carry the Glock legally in three of those states, New Mexico is crazy) for both two legged and four legged beasts. There have been an increasing number of mountain lion attacks in much of the western US. We've ridden the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the much more touristed south rim. It's incredible. A while ago I was out in Califonia for a few months and got to ride on the gorgeous coast there. Great cycling country too, but it's practially UN occupied:)

I remember the Atlantic coast of SA being awe inspiring. What area of SA are you in?

Keep ridin' and have fun!

2. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

I'm on what we call the "Highveld" - the highest part of the country, right in the middle, towards the top - about a 1000km from our nearest neighbour, about 600km from the nearest coast. About 65km from Pretoria.....

Also the most crime-ridden area............

3. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Hey!!! It looks like George W. Bush has won the election!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

At least he's not an apologetic weak sister like that Kerry guy, the UN representative.......................

:D

4. koremitsu

koremitsu New Member

I carry a lightsaber in my shorts. i developed a special crotch pocket for it. it not only makes me look good for the ladies, but also provides unparalelled protection. except one time when it accidentally switched on when i was being chased by a tuskan raider on a cannondale(saeco team model). almost hurt myself. it ripped off my shorts because of the fierce pressure from the tightness from the spandex. the shorts fired into some nearby pine trees and i was forced to ride naked from the waist down. It was raining....

word on the street is that darth vader uses Dura Ace. He averages a blistering 28 mph during the mountain stages of the tour de mos eisley, according to rumor. He dominates most likely due to the black life support skinsuit he wears. The dark side is constantly upgrading since they have unlimited funds. it is also rumored that he is doping, but has yet to be tested.

I occasionally encounter jawas and slice their heads off at 25 mph for fun.

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

No the Vader outfit is just an old team jersey that hasn't been launderd in 4 seasons.
    May the Farce be with you.

6. babybirdie

babybirdie New Member

Im thinking pepper spray will be part of my kit from now on.
    Lighter than a gun, small and compact. Blinds recipient so they cant identify you. And last but not least, gets your point accross to the A-holes that think that cyclists are an easy target to screw with.
    ***yes i had a bad experience recently...***

7. koremitsu

koremitsu New Member

No way man. thats a full custom skinsuit similar to the bianchi TT setup jan wore. Jan is vader's apprentice. soon to be known as darth Jan and win the next 7 tours. i'm rooting for the darkside. even lance lack faith in that mans power.

8. niwatori

niwatori New Member

it's crossed my mind to carry something to scratch a car's paintwork with if they behave like a *astard on the road [rolls eyes]
    but i've never done it, and i never will.

however, when i'm hit by a car i hold on tight to my bike as i'm thrown across their bonnet. if i'm lucky, the pedal leaves a good long scratch for them to remember me by.

9. sstaurus

sstaurus New Member

Ditto.

But why not equal the playing field and make it so no one can carry guns? Like the rest of the civilized world? No offense but I'm glad I don't live there either.

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The civilized world sure has a lot of its own troubles.

11. amaddeus

amaddeus New Member

In America, by being armed, (at least in our homes) we ARE leveling the playing field. Criminals still use guns, obviously, they don't follow the law, that is why they are criminals.

I'm ecstatic that I have the priviledge to live in America!

12. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Because there is no equality in nature. If some urban gorilla wants the posessions of a frail, 100 pound grandmother, having both unarmed gives advantage to the gorilla. With both armed, the playing field is leveled.

Likewise when forces of numbers are present al la Bernard Goetz.

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for dinner. Our constistutional republic based on democratically elected representatives is much like that, only the lamb is armed.

13. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Brilliantly put - I was going to get rude and nasty to the idiot who says that the civilised world is unarmed..... but you said it so much more nicely.

History should have documented all the 'successful' societies in which the citizens were unarmed and in which the man in the street was free - but how come I can't find examples of that anywhere?

I'm reminded of Nazi Germany - the last step before mass execution of the Jews was disarmament of the civilian population. I guess they were happy to be part of a 'civilised' society...

14. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

And the civilized world kills a hell of a lot of people in sporting events.
    No not the participants the fans.

15. amaddeus

amaddeus New Member

Huh? The fans of sporting events are being killed - a lot? I missed that news story.

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I guess not a lot in the grander scheme of things but one is a hell of a lot if it is someone you are attached to and I was infering on a global basis.
    My point was that people can be violent and kill without a gun.

17. amaddeus

amaddeus New Member

I have one more point about guns. And it involves the U.S. Constitution, 2nd Amendment. It says "A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

What if your government decided to do crazy stuff. Such as the example above, start WWII and kill 6 million Jews in Concentration Camps. How do you fight back? The answer is, if the 'People' are allowed to own guns, then they control the government. That sounds like democracy. What about if the 'People' in a country do not own guns, and their government starts doing things the people don't agree will, maybe even removing the ability to vote. Now what do you do? The answer is nothing. Just ask 25 million Iraqis how they liked the lack of an ability to fight back.

18. amaddeus

amaddeus New Member

Ahh, I see. You are correct about that. Guns don't kill people, people do.

19. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Well, then you don't follow soccer - it seems that the British soccer fans view killing opposition fans as something of a must-do....

In South Africa we regularly have people killed at soccer matches.

Makes you wonder.... why they don't take up cycling!!!!!!!! :)

20. Mankul

Mankul New Member

Guns are not allowed here in Singapore. Anyone caught in possession will be brought behind bars. But US is a big country so its a whole different story.