Wear your helmet!

It happened a few months back when I took a roundabout way too fast in the wet at Coolangatta. The bike spun out stupidly fast and my head was the first thing that hit the road. My helmet got a major crack in it (meaning it had to be replaced straight away of course) but other than a couple of scars on other body parts (where I landed and slid away after bouncing off my head) there hasn't really been any long term damage.

Has anyone ever noticed the number of people (usually teenagers but not always) who ride with their helmet tied to their handlebars rather than actually wearing it? Seems a little strange to me. If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of getting one, you might as well wear it, right?

Or am I just being simplistic and there's some kind of ultra-spanky explanation for this behaviour.

???

Has anyone ever noticed the number of people (usually teenagers but not always) who ride with their helmet tied to their handlebars rather than actually wearing it?  Seems a little strange to me.  If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of getting one, you might as well  wear it, right?

Or am I just being simplistic and there's some kind of ultra-spanky explanation for this behaviour.

???

Yea i am nearly a teenager (12 yrs) and I always where my helmet wherever I go on my bike. i know people that ride to school and at our school you do not have to wear a helmet even though we are encouraged to do so. Especially the older students they tend not to where helmets because it might ruin there reputation they may not look cool in a helmet, people may think that their mummy made him put it on. it all starts just becasuse of someone taking the mick out of someone esle for wearing a helmet

Especially the older students they tend not to where helmets because it might ruin there reputation they may not look cool in a helmet,

I guess it's a question of what looks more uncool -- wearing a helmet or re-learning the alphabet in diapers.

yes i agree i see on tv how many pros do not where helmets and i think its stupid. You can be the best bike handler in the world but if there is some one stupid and they hit you you will need your helmet. I think my helmet looks cool ;D its a met Stradavarius and its the best helmet ever it fits like a clove and has excellent air flow

yea i spose ppl would where helmets if they looked cool (whicht he ne wones and pro ones do) but ppl cant be btoehred to pay £59 for a pro helmet its just too much

im not really bothered what helmet i wear!

I bought myself a Giro Pneumo (ONCE Ltd Ed, if have to add ;D) recently, and although it is not completely comfortable yet, it is a huge improvement from my old helmet. Now it is even more "cool" (literally) to wear my Giro!!

Although it is a sales pitch, this URL gives you a good idea of what can happen. http://www.giro.com/europe/gir_crash.html

I, too, have a Blue Pneomo and it sure is sweet (although I think cycling caps look sweeter). But if you want to go all out, empty your pockets with the Pneumo Rabobank edition. What a schweet helmet! And it also comes with the helmet pod, the best protection for your head's protection.

The Rabobank replica looks OK. Here's a pic of mine, I just never put the "sun thingy" on.

pneumo_once.jpg

yea i spose ppl would where helmets if they looked cool

Maybe there's something in this. Think about it... to design a helmet marketed toward teenagers wouldn't really take all that much. Maybe some radical political slogans, cartoon characters, sex, satanism... some real possibilities here. The way I see it, the helmet to which the parent says "you're not riding around the block in that!" is the one most teenagers will go for every time!

;D

When I was a teenager I fell off my skateboard was not wearing a helmet :'( this was back in the 70's when nobody was wearing them. cut a long story short I was 2 weeks in hospital 4 weeks off school,never again, I always wear one now (when riding that is) ;D 8)

I;ve had more falls than I care to remember, never hit my head on the road tho  ;D I've always had a helmet on, luckey it was never damaged hehe  ::)

I;ve had more falls than I care to remember, never hit my head on the road tho  ;D I've always had a helmet on, luckey it was never damaged hehe  ::)

I landed head first in a crash last October (took a roundabout too fast in the wet). Good thing I had my helmet on. Otherwise, what would this forum be without my spanky posts? ;D

(feel free not to answer that!)

:eek: :eek: All you guys (and girls) who have managed to crack your helmets. WOW!! I have fallen on my head (helmet on) about 5 times now (in a year) on my MTB. Three of them were huge and I expected to find the helmet cracked. (Coz I was seeing stars, dizzy and feeling nauseus after the fall, so I knew I had fallen hard.) To my surprize, my helmet (an MET Roadrunner II) stood upto the abuse and there are no cracks. (I've looked really carefully and it has a crash guarantee so if it was I'd get it replaced)

Nevertheless, I fell hard. If you fell and were not wearing a lid, your head would be splattered all over the road. I shudder just thinking about it. Besides, I actually feel uncomfortable riding without one, so I'm glad I've got into the habit of not being able to ride a bike unless I'm wearing my lid. 8)