Wear Your Helmet!

The main reason not to wear helmets is that 20 or 30 years ago people didn't wear them and now they don't wear them either. At a more serious level people do wear them because of the speed, it's safer.

Sunflogun said:
The main reason not to wear helmets is that 20 or 30 years ago people didn't wear them and now they don't wear them either. At a more serious level people do wear them because of the speed, it's safer.
True.

In our village, even motor bike riders don't wear helmets. Their reason? They are inside the village. Last year there was an accident when a motorbike hit an oncoming car. It was a head on collision that instantly killed the rider and his passenger in the motorbike because they didn't have their helmets on. Worse, those dead were holding their helmets instead of wearing them.

I hope that would serve a lesson for bikers to always wear their helmets.

I cringe any time I see people riding without a helmet. I can't understand why people do it. I see kids all the time without helmets and it drives me nuts. A little comfort vs. your life. Pardon the expression but that is a no brainer.

Corzhens said:
In our village, even motor bike riders don't wear helmets. Their reason? They are inside the village. Last year there was an accident when a motorbike hit an oncoming car. It was a head on collision that instantly killed the rider and his passenger in the motorbike because they didn't have their helmets on. Worse, those dead were holding their helmets instead of wearing them.

I hope that would serve a lesson for bikers to always wear their helmets.
So true, it's a matter of habit. To be honest, when I am riding inside the park with the kids I don't see a reason for it, I just put it so that the wife doesn't become nervous.

A helmet must be worn by every cyclist. A helmet will shield you against injuries incase of an accident. Without a helmet you may get serious injuries. We must encourage our children from young age so that they get used to wearing helmets.

That's true considering we are on the road or at high speeds, but just a small ride in the park hardly represents danger. Ultimately yes, the helmet is very much needed.

Thanks for the reminder everyone should be aware that it's very important to wear a helmet during their ride. ^_^

You seem to be making a joke with it, but it's true, especially with small kids it's very important. In long rides it's a must too, especially if we are on the road.

Honda helmets for bicycles, really? I thought Honda only made them for motorbikes.

Saying that it's just a small ride or that you aren't going very far, or that you are just in a park is all bull ****. Sorry. If you are on a bike wear a helmet.

Helmets can save a lot of people from injuries. What have we got to lose in wearing helmets? It's an added protection and it's a guarantee against major head injuries. People here are very stubborn, in my country. They refuse to wear helmets when riding bikes or motorcycles. And if am accident does happen, their injuries are very bad, sometimes even leading to death. There really should be stricter rules when it comes to helmet use.

That must have have hurt, good to know you didn't get run over though. It is imperative that personal protective equipment be worn when doing activities that require them. So good warning, people wear your helmets.

I'm going to get a new helmet this winter, my full face is fun so I will replace my bucket.
Definitely getting something from Kali protective, maybe the viva.
Unless anyone can advise me otherwise.

A helmet really is one of the cheapest safety equipment available. It can save your life easily and I always wear a helmet even in short trips to avoid injuries.

Oh my, I am glad nothing worse than that happened to you!
But, yes you made a good point, people should always think of their own life first and their own safety and make sure they are wearing helmets. They can save lives.
I hope you learned from this, as you have already said, but really learned, and it is good that you are spreading the words here so people can relate and learn from your mistake.