Wear Your Helmet!

dook

Jul 23, 2006
I'm 15 and I just got a new road bike like 4 weeks ago. Two days ago i went across a round-about and car on my left didn't give-way and hit my back tyre. i wasn't wearing a helmet and i didn't have lights on my bike. I got a head injury I was taken to the hospital in a ambulence and i had to get my head glued. I was aslo forced to get a blood test to prove that i wasn't drunk. It was the first time since i got the bike that i rode it without wearing a helmet. It could of been alot worse then what it was and the people who saw it said i was lucky i wasn't run over by anouther car. Wear your helmet. Dont be an idot!

Always do...It was my parent's rule years ago but I've just made it my own rule after seeing some pretty nasty crashes.

to add to that.... there was a guy a few months ago that was riding on one of our beach trails w/o a helmet at about 12mph... a lady shook out a beach towel causing him to serve and he fell ... he died due to severe head injuries. people say that if you fall that hard, a helmet won't help... well, any bit helps and what about that ONE time that you fall where it would have helped? just wear the stupid thing... it's part of biking... its not like you're wearing a helmet while jogging or anything

Wow! I'm super sorry to hear about your accident, that doesn't sound like any fun! I lived in a European country for 18 months and I never had to wear a helmet because everyone was looking out for bikers. But now that I'm back in the US I've realized I need to buy one so I'm safe and nothing super bad will happen. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing a helmet while cycling (on any level). It is extremely important to wear protection, even if you do not think it would happen to you. One time I was riding down and saw a fellow cycler without a helmet. I tapped on mine and he began peddling faster, most likely due to being embarrassed. In other words, wear your helmet!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Wearing a helmet is always a priority when it comes to riding a bicycle, motorcycle or any vehicle running on two-wheels only. These very different from cars because the two-wheel vehicles need to be balanced and they are not stable. It is always risky when riding these especially on roads that have a lot of cars and traffic. It also required in some places as implemented by law for the safety of the riders. Wear your helmet always, because the head is a vital part of the body. We can break our arm or leg in accidents and still be alive, but when our head becomes injured we may end up being in a coma or worse, dead.[/SIZE]

So sorry to wear about that. :( Hope that you're better now.
Yeah thanks for the reminder it's always important to wear you helmet.

It is really important that a person wears a helmet. It is one of the most important rule of a of biking. It can be life threatening if one does not wear a helmet.

Yes it is very important and crucial to wear a helmet. I can't stress it enough to the kids who always ride without one. I'll be sure to use your story in order to shock the kids into wearing one!

Wearing my element has been a problem lately simply because I'm not necessarily doing any kind of serious competitive biking and I'm not actually going down any dangerous trails. So since I'm not going out any dangerous trails and I'm not doing any competitive biking I haven't really been wearing my helmet like I did when I was mountain biking seriously.

I had a friend that passed away from head trauma when he crashed his bike. When we arrived at the scene we saw that his helmet was still strapped on his bike and not on his head where it should of been. He hit the pavement hard and that was the last time he was conscious. He later passed due to head trauma.

It is important that you wear your helmet, no matter what.

It's pretty important to wear the helmet because we are safer, not to mention that it's a good example to kids. If for some reason we fall and hit the head the helmet can save our life, pretty much like the safety belt.

My girlfriends life was saved by a helmet, or at least serious trauma. The helmet was destroyed but she was fine after a car hit her and sent her flying! I can't recommend them enough, you only have one life.

That was what I was talking about, one might not see it as important until we have a serious accident, so nothing like wearing one and be safe for any possible accident.

To be honest I don't wear my helmet as often as I should but now that I'm teaching my daughter to ride a bike I will definitely be wearing it every time we go out.

Great post thank you for sharing.
A good friend of mine was hurt on his bike a few decades ago which resulted in a brain injury. Now the part of his brain that tells him he is full doesn't work. He is always hungry. He can finish and entire meal and feel like he hasn't eaten in days.
You can imagine how terrible this is, someone else has to constantly monitor his food intake. He has wild weight swings.
One day I will go to the home he is in and he will be 200lbs.
Next time I visit he could have gained or dropped tens of pounds. His workers say this is wreaking havoc on his body.

If you are thinking of going out without a lid, remember these two things:
1) Guys (or girls) like men(or women) that can remember their name...
2)Ever see a pro-cyclist with no helmet on? Nope. Since the ones that didn't wear one got hurt and could not longer compete.

I live in the UK. It's not the most cycle friendly place, but Cambridge is pretty good. Last August, I was cycling in a cycle lane at 18mph when a car traveling next to me suddenly hit the brakes, signaled and turned into a driveway. This all took the span of less than 2 seconds.

Naturally, I didn't have a chance to stop. I hit the front fender so hard that I flew over the hood of the car and landed head-first on the road. My helmet (a catlike whisper) fractured in multiple places, but it did it's job: not only did I not lose consciousness, but I didn't even suffer bruising on my head. I did, however, suffer compression fractures in my T-spine and a fracture in my c-spine that caused some temporary numbness in my fingers.

When I relayed this story on a British cycling forum, I encountered incredible hostility. People decided to try and tell my that my helmet made my injuries worse and that it had failed catastrophically, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

I don't understand why people don't wear helmets.

Owboduz said:
I live in the UK. It's not the most cycle friendly place, but Cambridge is pretty good. Last August, I was cycling in a cycle lane at 18mph when a car traveling next to me suddenly hit the brakes, signaled and turned into a driveway. This all took the span of less than 2 seconds.

Naturally, I didn't have a chance to stop. I hit the front fender so hard that I flew over the hood of the car and landed head-first on the road. My helmet (a catlike whisper) fractured in multiple places, but it did it's job: not only did I not lose consciousness, but I didn't even suffer bruising on my head. I did, however, suffer compression fractures in my T-spine and a fracture in my c-spine that caused some temporary numbness in my fingers.

When I relayed this story on a British cycling forum, I encountered incredible hostility. People decided to try and tell my that my helmet made my injuries worse and that it had failed catastrophically, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

I don't understand why people don't wear helmets.
That really makes sense. What you've said is quite interesting actually and I can see that a lot of people actually don't wear helmets and there's no reason why, but I guess some people find it uncomfortable?