Wear Your Helmet

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Derek Swift, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    I was riding last night along the River Parks on a club ride when a young guy (mid 20s) rode by on a
    full suspension C'dale mountain bike (no helmet or anything). I didn't think much of it. He was
    pogoing and his tires were humming. He was going over our group speed of 16mph.

    We came up on him later. Somehow he had managed to get thrown from his bike and smacked his head on
    the pavement (no helmet). It looks like someone had splattered red paint all over the trail. We had
    to call 911 because he was incoherent.

    As we rode away, someone said "I am glad we have helmets." I could not agree more.

    Derek

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    masquerades as common sense. I would hate to have to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.

    "Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was riding last night along the River Parks on a club ride when a young guy (mid 20s) rode by on
    > a full suspension C'dale mountain bike (no helmet or anything). I didn't think much of it. He was
    > pogoing and his tires were humming. He was going over our group speed of 16mph.
    >
    > We came up on him later. Somehow he had managed to get thrown from his bike and smacked his head
    > on the pavement (no helmet). It looks like someone had splattered red paint all over the trail. We
    > had to call 911 because he was incoherent.
    >
    > As we rode away, someone said "I am glad we have helmets." I could not agree more.
    >
    > Derek

  3. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    > masquerades as common sense. I would hate to have to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.

    So you think that if this guy had worn his helmet that he STILL would have been incoherent?

  4. Beach

    Beach Guest

    My father, in his late 70s, rides almost every day. A regular mountain bike. He is on a county
    maintained paved bike trail in South Florida, when he ducked under a leafy branch, stuck his head
    back up, smack into a 6" thick limb hanging over the course.

    He ruined a perfectly good helmet!

    Thanks God!

    Bob

    BethF wrote:

    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    > > masquerades as common sense. I would hate to have to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.
    >
    > So you think that if this guy had worn his helmet that he STILL would have been incoherent?

  5. Harv

    Harv Guest

    You're an angry sombitch Doug. Get that burr outta your saddle blanket and chill dude.

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    > masquerades as common sense. I would hate to have to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.
    >

    > "Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was riding last night along the River Parks on a club ride when a young guy (mid 20s) rode by
    > > on a full suspension C'dale mountain bike (no helmet or anything). I didn't think much of it. He
    > > was pogoing and his tires were humming. He was going over our group speed of 16mph.
    > >
    > > We came up on him later. Somehow he had managed to get thrown from his bike and smacked his head
    > > on the pavement (no helmet). It looks like someone had splattered red paint all over the trail.
    > > We had to call 911 because he was incoherent.
    > >
    > > As we rode away, someone said "I am glad we have helmets." I could not agree more.
    > >
    > > Derek

  6. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Beth:

    I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers." Maybe
    it'll catch on.

    Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in an otherwise fatal accident,
    but there isn't much doubt that it reduces the severity of cosmetic injuries and other traumas. I
    went down on a moped sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks telling people why my head was
    bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph wearing a helmet, leathers and
    gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my knee, but virtually no other visible sign of the
    accident. No road burn, other than a small patch on my elbow where the leather was torn. (The helmet
    was a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same controversy exists in the
    motorcycle community.)

    No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory lederhosen, though.

    --
    --Scott [email protected]ail.com Cut the "tail" to send email.

    "BethF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    > > masquerades as common sense. I would hate to
    have
    > > to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.
    >

    > So you think that if this guy had worn his helmet that he STILL would have been incoherent?

  7. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Beth:
    >
    > I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers."
    > Maybe it'll catch on.

    Send pictures. Need fodder for blackmail.

    > Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in an otherwise fatal
    > accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces the severity of cosmetic injuries and other
    > traumas.

    I agree, however it sounds like in THIS case, it would have helped.

    > I went down on a moped sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks telling people why my head was
    > bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph wearing
    > helmet, leathers and gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my
    knee,
    > but virtually no other visible sign of the accident. No road burn, other than a small patch on my
    > elbow where the leather was torn. (The helmet
    was
    > a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same controversy exists in the
    > motorcycle community.)

    The problem is that a relatively small bump to the skull can cause brain injury. If wearing a little
    helmet can prevent it, then Why the hell not?

  8. Harv

    Harv Guest

  9. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was riding last night along the River Parks on a club ride when a young guy (mid 20s) rode by on
    > a full suspension C'dale mountain bike (no helmet or anything). I didn't think much of it. He was
    > pogoing and his tires were humming. He was going over our group speed of 16mph.
    >
    > We came up on him later. Somehow he had managed to get thrown from his bike and smacked his head
    > on the pavement (no helmet). It looks like someone had splattered red paint all over the trail. We
    > had to call 911 because he was incoherent.
    >
    > As we rode away, someone said "I am glad we have helmets." I could not agree more.

    My garage has a set of stairs against the left wall that lead to a landing and then they turn right
    and on up. This cuts through the left side of the garage. If the car is in there, you have to lean
    your head far to the right as you walk by. Yesterday I was walking too close and WHAM!!!!!!!!, I
    smacked my head dead on the corner! Good thing I had just got home from my bike commute and was
    wearing my helmet. Not to trivialize the injuries of the C-Dale's rider, but had I not been wearing
    my helmet, I would have been one hurting dude. I know there are those who will now advocate (with
    much sarcasm) wearing helmets in garages. They are welcome to stop by and try it sans helmet.

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Freewheeling wrote:

    > ... No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory lederhosen, though.

    Do the lederhosen have hip padding?

    I am thinking that I should wear hip and elbow pads. To understand my reasoning, try cornering a
    lowracer harder and harder on a wet parking lot and observe which two body parts make the hardest
    contact with the ground when the traction limit of one of the tires is exceeded.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  11. "Freewheeling" skrev ...
    > Beth:
    >
    > I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers."
    > Maybe it'll catch on.

    Kewl...we can learn to yodel too. Keep the bears away if you're in sunny Alaska and save me the cost
    of an Airzound. (which would be illegal here anyway).

    > Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in an otherwise fatal
    > accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces the severity of cosmetic injuries and other
    > traumas.

    Doctors here estimate that about half the bikers that died of headinjuries would have survived with
    a helmet. It does actually work. But noone mentioned mandatory helmetlaws did they? Its your noggin
    so you decide whether to wear something on it.

    (and before anyone goes "Dont come running to me when you get hurt" I A: wear a helmet and B: pay
    for healthcare through taxes in Denmark) ;o)

    Mikael

  12. Tom Sherman wrote:

    > I am thinking that I should wear hip and elbow pads

    A lot of the racers are wearing elbow pads or guards these days. I could have done with some in
    Manchester last year when I decked the Baron and grazed my arm. It wouldn't have been so bad had Mrs
    Larrington not attacked it with a door, resulting in its becoming infected and me spending the
    entire Easter weekend in bed with a temperature high enough to fry eggs on my forehead :-( I will be
    getting some for this season, I think.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. My brother has went down twice om his semi lowracer hurting his left elbow in the same spot both
    times. In time he will grow his own elbow padding..

    For the record, i have gone down twice too without visible damage doing 10 times his distance (well,
    OK, visible damage to the clothes, front skewer and seat). I sometime think of him as D. Duck ;-)

    Torben

    > Freewheeling wrote:
    > >
    > > ... No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory lederhosen, though.
    >
    > Do the lederhosen have hip padding?
    >
    > I am thinking that I should wear hip and elbow pads. To understand my reasoning, try cornering a
    > lowracer harder and harder on a wet parking lot and observe which two body parts make the hardest
    > contact with the ground when the traction limit of one of the tires is exceeded.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

  14. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Beth:
    >
    > I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers."
    > Maybe it'll catch on.

    Scott,

    All older Bavarians that I saw in their lederhosen were bow-legged. Perhaps someting to do with the
    way that leather rubbed the inside of their thighs. So, at your suggestion, I could not help but
    picture a bunch of old farts (self included) riding around bow-legged on recumbents. Now, that would
    be something.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

  15. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >when he ducked under a leafy branch, stuck his head back up, smack into a 6" thick limb hanging
    >over the course.
    >
    >He ruined a perfectly good helmet!

    Been there, done that....twice.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  16. Von

    Von Guest

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Beth:
    >
    > I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers."
    > Maybe it'll catch on.
    >
    > Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in an otherwise fatal
    > accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces the severity of cosmetic injuries and other
    > traumas. I went down on a moped sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks telling people why my
    > head was bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph wearing a helmet,
    > leathers and gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my knee, but virtually no other
    > visible sign of the accident. No road burn, other than a small patch on my elbow where the leather
    > was torn. (The helmet was a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same
    > controversy exists in the motorcycle community.)
    >
    > No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory lederhosen, though.
    >
    > --
    > --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
    >

    > "BethF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Perhaps the subject should have been "D. S. will wear his helmet." The conspiracy of ignorance
    > > > masquerades as common sense. I would hate to
    > have
    > > > to add a.r.b.r. to the hell-mutt rule.
    > >

    > > So you think that if this guy had worn his helmet that he STILL would have been incoherent?

    After more than a decade of 5,000+ km. per year and no accidents,Why wear a helment? I started to
    question myself on helmet wear. Than one day riding on a bike path i went over the bars (DF) and
    cracked the helmet in two places. Result one seperated shoulder no concussion and a very scared 7
    yr. old grandauther(Riding her own bike).I know without a doubt I escaped serious injury. Also my
    sweetheart was scared enough, What if grandpa was laying there unconscious.I always wear a
    helmet,should you wear one? that's up to you,Free choice is what it's all about!

  17. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    Spare the cows. Ride a trike instead.

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    crispy wrote:

    > Spare the cows. Ride a trike instead.

    Preferably one with a seat pad cover made from a natural vegetable fiber such as industrial hemp.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  19. Hairyone

    Hairyone Guest

    there is nothing wrong with free choice. The only people who should wear a helmet are those who feel
    that they have something worth protecting. IMHO Those who don't wear them are showing that they have
    nothing very important there to protect anyway. I would never ride a foot without my helmet. A
    helmet saved me once. If others dont, thats their right. I just hope that I dont happen along and be
    the first one to find them after bad head first fall . Harry VR40

    [email protected] (Von) wrote:
    >"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Beth:
    >>
    >> I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them
    my
    >> "cycling leathers." Maybe it'll catch on.
    >>
    >> Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in
    an
    >> otherwise fatal accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces the severity of cosmetic
    >> injuries and other traumas. I went down on a moped sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks
    >> telling people why my head was bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph
    >> wearing
    >> helmet, leathers and gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my
    knee,
    >> but virtually no other visible sign of the accident. No road burn, other than a small patch on my
    >> elbow where the leather was torn. (The helmet
    was
    >> a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same controversy exists in the
    >> motorcycle community.)
    >>
    >> No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory lederhosen, though.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
    >>

    >> "BethF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    The
    >> have
    >> >

    >> > So you think that if this guy had worn his helmet that he STILL would
    have
    >> > been incoherent?
    >> >

    >After more than a decade of 5,000+ km. per year and no accidents,Why wear a helment? I started to
    >question myself on helmet wear. Than one day riding on a bike path i went over the bars (DF) and
    >cracked the helmet in two places. Result one seperated shoulder no concussion and a very scared 7
    >yr. old grandauther(Riding her own bike).I know without a doubt I escaped serious injury. Also my
    >sweetheart was scared enough, What if grandpa was laying there unconscious.I always wear a
    >helmet,should you wear one? that's up to you,Free choice is what it's all about!

    Harry VR40/oss

  20. Pc

    Pc Guest

    On 9/16/2001, I was crossing a street leading to the Brooklyn Bridge on my BikeE when I was hit by
    an emergency vehicle returning from the World Trade Center site. My head went right through the
    windshield and I was thrown quite a distance by the impact. I sustained lots of minor cuts and
    bruises but, miraculously, no serious injuries whatsoever. Without my helmet, it would have been a
    different story. These days, I often advise folks who ride without head gear to change their
    attitudes.

    PC BikeE AT Lightning Stealth