wearable gps / gps watch

DynV

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,

Now the issue at hand. This question is about different sports and activities. My main usage is cycling and cross-country skying but it could be for jogging, rollerblading, motorbike and even geo-tagging pictures (afterward).

The most important issue is a low price and quality/ruggedness. In counterpart I need little features, in fact I need just an indicator that it's tracking ; it could be just a flashing LED or the time of the last location recording. Of course having the current time would be nice and heart rate monitoring would be great but what would be amazing is a long lasting pretty cheap wearable GPS tracker. Wearing it as a watch would be nice but it could also be as armband, necklace and could even go so far as belt.

Of course the wearable tracker need to upload to a computer. Preferably with widely supported standards like USB ( likely with micro or mini connector) and Bluetooth which don't need driver ; drivers are a headache and need to be constantly updated for new software and are not available for all OS. I'd like to plug it in a common system and fetch the tracker data as there was an internal USB key which the device dumped data information into. I'd much prefer to get information than data, especially if the later is proprietary ; XML would be amazing.

I almost forgot! An important feature is battery availability ; if the device use an uncommon battery, I'll be limited for my replacement shopping and worse, if it stop being manufactured I'll be stuck with a bitter souvenir (device rendered useless). I'd like the tracker to either manually or automatically change settings to limit battery use. For example, when I walk I need longer to cross distance and change direction so the tracking can slow down, but cycling I need to track more as I can change direction faster ; the exception to this is when I'm on a motorbike, I don't need a precise route.

To sum up: I'd like a cheap, rugged, easy data fetching & easy information decoding wearable GPS tracker.

Thank you kindly /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

DynV said:
Hello, Now the issue at hand. This question is about different sports and activities. My main usage is cycling and cross-country skying but it could be for jogging, rollerblading, motorbike and even geo-tagging pictures (afterward). The most important issue is a low price and quality/ruggedness. In counterpart I need little features, in fact I need just an indicator that it's tracking ; it could be just a flashing LED or the time of the last location recording. Of course having the current time would be nice and heart rate monitoring would be great but what would be amazing is a long lasting pretty cheap wearable GPS tracker. Wearing it as a watch would be nice but it could also be as armband, necklace and could even go so far as belt. Of course the wearable tracker need to upload to a computer. Preferably with widely supported standards like USB ( likely with micro or mini connector) and Bluetooth which don't need driver ; drivers are a headache and need to be constantly updated for new software and are not available for all OS. I'd like to plug it in a common system and fetch the tracker data as there was an internal USB key which the device dumped data information into. I'd much prefer to get information than data, especially if the later is proprietary ; XML would be amazing. To sum up: I'd like a cheap, rugged, easy data fetching & easy information decoding wearable GPS tracker. Thank you kindly :)
First, you can control to some degree, how writing a post works for you. Look under My Profile>Edit Account Details. I know there are several wearable, GPS enabled watches/bike computers, but the only brand can think of right now is Garmin. I'm sure others will chime in with different suggestions.

The Garmin 405cx works for me. Nowadays a lot of people just use a smartphone. Bluetooth sensors are available for phones.

GPS data formats are largely open and interoperable. Tools like GPSBabel can convert one form to another.

I think I know what you're looking for ;-) Garmin is in the process of releasing a new GPS watch. The Garmin Forerunner 10 is reasonably priced at only $129.99 and is described as lightweight and stylish along with all of its great features. And oh, it has a rechargeable long lasting battery, high sensitivity receiver, and is compatible with Garmin Connect. I found the pink one in stock already at one store and I assume the others will follow shortly.

Here's where I found it: Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Watch

G'Luck!

Originally Posted by maydog .
GPS data formats are largely open and interoperable. Tools like GPSBabel can convert one form to another.
A bit late. Is there XML-based format that can be converted to? At least-text-based?

I got my 405 last christmas for $150 with chest strap.

I you want really cheap, you can use a small car nav GPS. Some of them do have logging capability. I had a MIO that was given to me, I used it to log a few rides. Downloading and converting the files were a hassle, but it did work.

I didn't see one at 100$
Timex Marathon GPS
$125

Ironman Global Trainer GPS Watch
$300
Maybe I'm prejudiced but at the same price 125 timex - 129 garmin, the later seem better. Am I wrongly assuming?

Update 1:
I keep seeing Polar, is it a solid brand? Also I saw some Timex reviews which made me question the brand (for GPS tracking).

Polar is alright, but their communication with a desktop and it's software are clunky. They are otherwise pretty good. I didn't see one at or less than $100.

I bought a watch in Hongkong 2 year ago:

Temperature, electronic compass, current speed, altitude, receiving the latitude and longitude, GPS navigation, map marked

happynicky said:
Although I sell the jersey, but I am more willing to help people
Meanwhile you inflict your spam because you're too cheap to advertise. Let's face it: spam is what people of your low character do.

I bought something nice from a small company once. It had no official support but a forum ; it closed after 18-24 months. I'm very lucky nothing happenned to it otherwise, the price of 30 minutes of electrical/software engineer would cost more than the brand new item.
No support = STAY AWAY, if the company isn't existing for a while nor has a reputation of proper support, you might very well end as I am.

So your suggested 89$ watch is worth 20$ to me.