Wearing bike shorts / tights

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Hotboder, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Hotboder

Hotboder New Member

Im male and am self-consious about wearing my shorts still. I think I'm worried about what others think, especially women. Any words of advice?

Tags:

2. sogood

sogood New Member

You aren't riding hard enough! When you are half dead on a ride, your appearance is the last thing on your mind. :p

Of course, if you are in cycling because it's fashionable. Then you have a problem... :eek:

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

If you've got it then flaunt it!

Even on a girls bike! ;)

4. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Get a pair of baggy shorts to wear over the top of your cycling knicks if you are really that self-conscious.

5. Bargearse

Bargearse New Member

You're self-conscious with a name like hotboder?

6. asterope

asterope New Member

from a females perspective... male cyclists look great in lycra, if you have the body then flaunt it... but we can pick a self-concious guy a mile away, and being self-concious isnt very attractive.
    seriously, if you have a toned body and you are still self-concious about cycling clothes then you may be in the wrong sport!

7. Rockslayer

Rockslayer New Member

I assume you talking about Lycra shorts/Knicks etc..?
    Hmm could be cultural thing which I noticed over there, a in Canadian/North American thing, wearing bike shorts is almost as close to being naked there. The general population there are funny about skin tight lycra and even stuff like budgie smuglers for swimming.

1. Are they really looking?
    2. Do they really care?
    3. If you in your saddle and riding can't really notice your bulge if thats what you are worried about.
    4. Change into your normal clothes or throw on a pair of shorts as soon as you finished riding. Don't go walking around the shops/mall in them. :eek:
    5. Riding in baggies suck, chaffing on thighs scrunching etc.. why suffer!
    6. They probably think you are serious athelete/cyclist.
    7. People only care as much as you do about it.
    8. Ride with others like a team or something, you'll feel better if everyone else is doing it.
    9. What everyone else said, if you riding hard enough you won't be thinking about it anymore.
    10. Wear basic black or blue its more subtle, throw out your pink ones.
    11. The chicks really like to perve but they won't say it, think of it as doing them a favour and giving them something to look at.
    12. Move to Australia or Europe, we/they don't really care. :cool:
    Lucky 13. You and the boys will feel comfy.

Just enjoy your cycling. :D:D:D nuff said.

8. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

I work at a high school and try to time my arrival when kids are in class...

When I ride anywhere else I don't care what anybody thinks... On the SUnday team rides if you're not in lycra you feel like a dork...

9. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

A sock.

But, in all honesty, just go ride in bike shorts and you'll eventually stop caring I bet...

10. Hotboder

Hotboder New Member

Thanks for the support!! I went for a ride today, and gosh darn it, I do look good in my shorts:) . To heck with what others think!!!!

11. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

After you get over caring what people think, you'll appreciate the quality in these products. ZERO wind resistance is a nice thing, plus you stay dry and cool.

12. Glenfiddich_Man

Glenfiddich_Man New Member

I just don't care what other people think. lol
    I run in tri shorts, which are tight. And I swim in jammers, which are the same way.

If someone has a problem with that, its exactly that THEIR PROBLEM.

13. navitatl

navitatl New Member

I've got the same problem. Recently I've just been riding casually to class and wearing my usual attire (dressy pants), but now I'm starting to get serious about long-distance touring.
    When I wear dress pants on a hot day and bike somewhere, I end up with a problem known as the "copious sweat stains on my ass" malady. I guess I'll have to figure out a solution.

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Put a cucumber in your shorts. As a bonus, if it's fresh out of the fridge, it'll help keep you cool, and if you bonk, you can pull it out and consume some carbs.

Another option is to keep printed images of the nude humans of your preference on your bike. This will help to maximize your dimensions.

A third and better option is to keep pedaling. No one can see your junk when your in the saddle pedaling.

15. navitatl

navitatl New Member

I like the cucumber idea. I think the pedalling would give it a comical metronome-like movement.

16. jb092

jb092 New Member

There are companies that make bike shorts that are inside of baggy shorts. I would try that if it is a big problem.

17. liketobike

liketobike New Member

I wear lycra shorts and form fitting shirts when I ride and don't feel self concoius at all. I would if I were walking around dressed like that for no reason, but cycling and spandex go together and are widely accepted all over the world.

18. ebola

ebola New Member

I have to say i rarely wear propper cycling gear, just wearing regular clothes or a tracksuit (cycle to work & gym.. lunch-hour rides.. very rarely getting out just to cycle.)

I have had a couple of girls in the office suggest that I SHOULD wear propper cycling shorts :) but to be honest I expect I'll get a lot of stick from male colleagues if I do, and it's about 15:1 men:women in our office..

The times I have worn cycling gear I did definitely notice extra aerodynamic effect. So i guess I'm missing out.

19. oscarjane

oscarjane New Member

Just a short note from a female rider to male riders dont wear light blue nics as they are just too revealing. :eek: But apart from that we are all in the same boat and if anything makes me want to train more to do my nics justice. I also once on the bike no-one cares anyway because then it becomes about the ride not the look.

20. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

a cousin started cycling and had the same apprehension. take a look at all of the roadies you see cycling. are the majority of them wearing lycra, or are they wearing baggies. not wearing lycra actually makes you the odd man out. you are the outsider. much easier to blend in when you look like everyone else.