Wearing bike shorts / tights

ranger39000 said:
I see a certain theme developing here. Most of the reply'ers seem to be fitness/racers/fun riders. When a cyclist chooses cycling as a lifestyle, such as commuting, he must integrate a little more with the society around him than the weekend or evening warrior, such as stoppin at the 7-11 for hydration, or changing at work round a bunch of other dudes. Which means, yer gonna take a little ribbing here in the good ole' US of A. Just get bak in they're faces with some ribbing of your own. Overall, it's OK. B cool and get over it. Cycling is worth it. And it's not really as bad as u think. I think they're more fascinated than anything :cool: . Just dont wear blue tights :eek:

Seems to be a geographic thing too. In Sydney most commuters wear bike shorts/bib shorts.

mikesbytes said:
Seems to be a geographic thing too. In Sydney most commuters wear bike shorts/bib shorts.
Very geographical and topographical. With all the hills around in Sydney, you have to have a bit of dedication to cycling to ride for distances and that should explain the gears used. As for a flat city, you can hop on a bike wearing a suit and you'll still look decent at the other end.

Sydney sucks in this respect but is great for fitness development. :D

I feel weird too. Especially when my boxer shorts get all bunched up underneath my bike shorts. Can anybody offer any help in preventing this?

Miah said:
I feel weird too. Especially when my boxer shorts get all bunched up underneath my bike shorts. Can anybody offer any help in preventing this?
As I am starting to discover, don't wear boxer type shorts when cycling. :p

Nothing beats a good pair of Lycra Shorts with a good Shamois, NOTHING,

You will forget about your Butt once you start riding with them.
I mean these things don't help just a little, they help ALOT.
Well worth the $$$$$.

If you want to mess up a good thing, wear something else over or under them.

Miah said:

Don't wear anything underneath!

Never never NEVER wear underwear under your bike shorts. Period. They are made to be next to your skin.

Worth the money to get a really nice pair though, or nothing, not even the best chamois cream, will ever make them comfortable.

Chili Pepper said:
Never never NEVER wear underwear under your bike shorts. Period. They are made to be next to your skin.
Sure this is not just girl talk? ;)

I was hoping to ask a lady, if a good pair of bike shorts is as good to them as it is the dudes? Any comments?

I was joking goofballs!
Chili Pepper said:

Worth the money to get a really nice pair though, or nothing, not even the best chamois cream, will ever make them comfortable.

Ny Cykel said:
I was hoping to ask a lady, if a good pair of bike shorts is as good to them as it is the dudes? Any comments?
thats a pretty silly question... of course they are.
After all, we all have to sweat away and sit on rock-hard seats just the way you do.
We may not have the 'arrangement' issues that some guys do (and i would like to believe that most of the gentlemen on here know how to arrange themselves for the most comfortable ride) but we still get sore arses, just like you do.

So the answer is YES.

asterope said:
thats a pretty silly question... of course they are.
After all, we all have to sweat away and sit on rock-hard seats just the way you do.
We may not have the 'arrangement' issues that some guys do (and i would like to believe that most of the gentlemen on here know how to arrange themselves for the most comfortable ride) but we still get sore arses, just like you do.

So the answer is YES.
Hey things arrange well when you are seated. But not so well when you stand up in your bib shorts.

Forgot to mention. The chamois protects against camel toe - all too often occuring at the gym.

Wear loose shorts over top if it freaks you out that much. More macho guys tend to do this. If you are a professional you will just wear them. There are professions or sports that guys wear this. Do what makes you happy. I think a guy might be more self conscious worrying about what other guys think, not women. Women hardly ever get to see men wearing things like this.

You really shouldn't worry about what other people think about what you are wearing. You need to wear what you're comfortable in and what gives you the best experience while you are riding.

If you're worried about other riders judging you, that's more likely to happen if you don't wear them! It seems like basically everyone does anymore.

I really don't think the average person on the street cares what a cyclist wears. They are so used to seeing cyclists ride past them with all sorts of colorful and tight clothing, that it's not a huge issue for them. You should just wear what feels more comfortable and helps you to ride better. I'm not a fan of tight cycling pants, I prefer to wear normal running or Bermuda shorts.