Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Beastt

Sep 19, 2003
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.
I got mine at a tour party the night of the team time trial and have been wearing it since. Not sure when I'm going to take it off.

I ordered 10 online and passed them around to family and friends. I think the LAF is a great organization and I like to support it and show my support of cyling. I think the band helps with that a bit.

I've tried to buy it online but can't seem to get the site to accept my credit card and we all know what its like living in a country where things take forever to arrive (or never arrive at all)

but if i have 1, i'd wear it.

I've been looking for one forever, but my gf got me one for my b day! It isn't coming off for a long time

Long5686 said:
I ordered 10 online and passed them around to family and friends. I think the LAF is a great organization and I like to support it and show my support of cyling. I think the band helps with that a bit.
well, it is and i'd like to support it myself but i can't get hold of the bands!!!
i actually wanna cry now

Long5686 said:

My wife and myself both have them and I am not trying to be sarcastic but they are to show support for cancer research. My wifes mother has cancer and we are both cyclist and love Lance also.

jhuskey said:
My wife and myself both have them and I am not trying to be sarcastic but they are to show support for cancer research. My wifes mother has cancer and we are both cyclist and love Lance also.

I was at work yesterday and someone asked me what it was. I told them it was to support cancer research and he asked how long was I supposed to wear it. I told him as long as I liked. But then I started thnkning about it. How long do I wear it? How long do you all plan on wearing yours? Its not like I was going to wear it just the length of the tour because cancer is a disease that goes on past the tour. I would like to waer mine for a long time but I was sjust curious what everyone else is doing. I see alot of people wearing them almost everywhere I go...thanks :) :D :)

WKrider said:
I was at work yesterday and someone asked me what it was. I told them it was to support cancer research and he asked how long was I supposed to wear it. I told him as long as I liked. But then I started thnkning about it. How long do I wear it? How long do you all plan on wearing yours? Its not like I was going to wear it just the length of the tour because cancer is a disease that goes on past the tour. I would like to waer mine for a long time but I was sjust curious what everyone else is doing. I see alot of people wearing them almost everywhere I go...thanks :) :D :)

Haven't really thought about it. I don't foresee not wearing it in the near future.

I think a lot people will stop in the next few months (ie the people who don't ride or really know what it's about). Some of my friends don't even know what the band is really for/what it means.

It's really sad that it's become a 'fad' for SOME people to look cool. I know there are a lot of people, including me, that know what this band truly represents and that is all we can really ask for....so be it...

Since I just got mine, I know when I am climbing up hills, or forcing a killer sprint, I'll be able to do that extra pedal revolution(s) b/c I'm lucky to be alive and be able to ride a bike and that is what the band will do for me at least.

liveSTRONG.

took me a month to find it and now it aint coming off for a Longggggggggg
time

I lost both of my parents to cancer, so I wear one for that reason (although I'm also a big fan of Lance Armstrong). The only time I take it off is when I'm playing in my band. I'm a keyboardist, and when I do smears across the keyboard it tends to get caught on the keys -- not a good thing! :eek:

I'm wearing one. I think that regardless of what you think of Lance Armstrong as a cyclist, you can't argue with the fact that the Lance Armstrong Foundation is a worthwhile organization supporting a great cause.

I stopped wearing mine after the Tour. Perhaps because it does seem to be kind of fashionable now, but mainly cause it's cheap plastic and yellow. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to wear it and support the LAF (and gave away many of them myself), but I don't know that it's really appropriate professional attire at this point in time.

WKrider said:

TrekDedicated said:
I think a lot people will stop in the next few months (ie the people who don't ride or really know what it's about). Some of my friends don't even know what the band is really for/what it means.

It's really sad that it's become a 'fad' for SOME people to look cool. I know there are a lot of people, including me, that know what this band truly represents and that is all we can really ask for....so be it...

Since I just got mine, I know when I am climbing up hills, or forcing a killer sprint, I'll be able to do that extra pedal revolution(s) b/c I'm lucky to be alive and be able to ride a bike and that is what the band will do for me at least.

liveSTRONG.
TrekDedicated, Great statement, thats exactly how I feel, I got my dad and I one each before they became all "cool" and stuff for people that don't even care for the sport or the cause.

I'm just wondering do you guys wear it when you cycle too? I don't because I don't want it to be all nasty and stuff when I'm not on a bike, just wondering.

vl1016 said:
I stopped wearing mine after the Tour. Perhaps because it does seem to be kind of fashionable now, but mainly cause it's cheap plastic and yellow. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to wear it and support the LAF (and gave away many of them myself), but I don't know that it's really appropriate professional attire at this point in time.

Sometimes you have to look beyond the actually physical piece.... This is one of those times... If someone hounds me for wearing it, then they should hound people who wear the AIDS ribbons etc etc..

I got my wrist band in June and I continue to wear it everyday. I love showing my support for the cancer community because I have family and friends who are cancer survivors and unfortunately some who were not so lucky. Lance inspires me to be a better person and a better athlete. Whenever I think I can't do something, that livestrong motto makes me realize that I can. And I don't care if it's trendy or not, but I love seeing other people with them on and starting conversations about living strong, cycling, or lance. I think that it's a great idea to inspire everyone to live each day to the fullest.

Beastt said:
If people cannot lives trong without a little piece of plastic, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick of Nike and Lance Armstrong Enterprises, than they should take a good hard look at themselves.

I think it is extremely silly and if LA himself passed me on a climb and handed me one I would do my best to catch him and tell him that. Or maybe he would wait at the top to hear my opinion.

Your $1 does not do anything to help cure cancer. This is nothing more than a ploy by Nike and LA to sell more gear. Get a bunch of non-thinking knuckle heads hooked on livestrong by giving them a cheap plastic bracelet for $1 and then get them to buy their expensive livestrong gear. Want a $20 T-shirt with that pair of live strong shoes?

The T-shirts and shorts are already out. Buy em now, Lemmings. Of course, none of that "REAL" money goes to cancer research. Just that little $1 bill from that piece of plastic.

duluth_rider said:
If people cannot lives trong without a little piece of plastic, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick of Nike and Lance Armstrong Enterprises, than they should take a good hard look at themselves.

I think it is extremely silly and if LA himself passed me on a climb and handed me one I would do my best to catch him and tell him that. Or maybe he would wait at the top to hear my opinion.

Your $1 does not do anything to help cure cancer. This is nothing more than a ploy by Nike and LA to sell more gear. Get a bunch of non-thinking knuckle heads hooked on livestrong by giving them a cheap plastic bracelet for $1 and then get them to buy their expensive livestrong gear. Want a $20 T-shirt with that pair of live strong shoes?

The T-shirts and shorts are already out. Buy em now, Lemmings. Of course, none of that "REAL" money goes to cancer research. Just that little $1 bill from that piece of plastic.

Whoa, did your mother not read you bed time stories??? YIKES!

TrekDedicated said:
Whoa, did your mother not read you bed time stories??? YIKES!
Aesop's Fables, Dr. Seuss, Little Golden Books.

It helped with my deductive reasoning. That is how I was able to quickly figure out that this is just a marketing ploy, while others think it is some kind of revelation.

Keep buying those bracelets. It allows me to see who is worth talking to without a word being spoken.