Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Definitely not. I am proud to be the 101st person to vote "if you gave it to me i wouldn't wear it" and at the same time proud to say I donated the cost of 5 wristbands to LAF - and proud not to be boasting my generosity with brightly-colored armbands. THATS WHAT I SAID. J :mad:

:) Hi All,
I too wear the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band along with my three cycling mates affectionately known as the 4 Spokesmen Team UK.
We wear them ALL the time, in work, in the gym,at work and of course ON THE BIKE!!.
Any form of recognition and support for such causes as the one Lance started has got to be good.
Too much is concentrated on the "bad" things in life so its great to see people
getting behind things can can make a difference to others not so fortunate.

For all you cycling guys out there who fancy a small but excellent charity ride
of 30 miles, then check out our website www.1bm.me.uk.
(assuming you live in or around the UK)!!!

Cheers
Paul Mack

No room for Mr. Armstrong's band on my wrist. Occasionally sporting a nice "THINKBLUE IN 2008" band instead.

I have had mine long before they were popular. I wear mine for several reasons:

1) I lost my Dad, my paternal Grandfather, and my maternal Grandmother, to cancer, and a dear friend to Lukemia.

2) My Mom has cancer.

3) The key reason I ride is to try to stay as healthy as I can and have fun doing it. Wearing the band reminds me of that fact everyday.

4) Due to my family history, I have always assumed I would die from cancer, although I read Lance's books long after wearing the band, his story was so inspiring to me, that should I get cancer in the future, I know I don't have to, and won't surrender to it.

I intend to be buried with it. (I even have spares).

vl1016 said:
I stopped wearing mine after the Tour. Perhaps because it does seem to be kind of fashionable now, but mainly cause it's cheap plastic and yellow. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to wear it and support the LAF (and gave away many of them myself), but I don't know that it's really appropriate professional attire at this point in time.
I guess some can always opt for the double-brested, Dior with wingtips as a show of their support to a cause. I have worn mine EVERYDAY day since I was able to hunt them down on line and order them. I've passed my original 20 out, and just ordered 20 more today. I don't wear it as a fshion statement. It is worn as: a show of care and concern for cancer Survivors; a show of support of the LAF and its cause; and as a show of support and respect to my fellow countryman and Tour OWNER.

Got one, but since the majority of people I work with and know, know nothing about the charity or the band itself. They seem to think it's some sort of cheap bracelet thing.

One chap in the office does have one, but the general consensus was that his boyfriend gave it to him.

nasz said:
One chap in the office does have one, but the general consensus was that his boyfriend gave it to him.
i think this sums up the whole yellow bracelet wearing thing for the majority of the free thinking...

long live the old republic.

I got mine and one for my wife last May. My mom dies of cancer so things like this are important to me. I then bought them for my groomsmen at my wedding (they all ride) and a couple of days before the wedding the bridemaids wanted them, so i went and got more for them and both of our parents. We even did a pic of the wedding party wearing them and will be sending the pic with a donation. I don't care if they are fashionable or not, I know what it means to me and I know that many people understand. I can't tell you how many times people ask about it or merely give me a thumbs up. All I know is that $40m have been raised for cancer research. If one more person survives cancer then it was worth it to wear.

I've stopped wearing mine at the moment, every idiot in the street has about 50 different colours wrapped around their arm, and thats not why i wore one in the first place. When the fad dies out, i will start again.

As a type 1 diabetic and survivor of a car accident that left me without a left arm, I made the switch to cycling after the sport of drug-free bodybuilding became "no-so drug free". I'm now using the power developed through years of heavy strength training to try and make a name for myself in the sport of track cycling. I wear the liveSTRONG band to show my support for cancer survivors (of which my family has several) and for those who are redefining the word overcome!

I live in Austin, and of course, everyone has one, including myself. I bought my first one at the L.A. 6th win celebration parade - which was awesome. I lost it however (it was the adult size and I have small wrists), and bought my second one (kids size) at the Discovery Store at the mall. I still think it's cool, no plans to take it off, even when I'm out with my "posh" girlfriends. I won't wear any of the other support bracelets - not that trendy. Just a biker supportin' Lance and the rest of the cancer survivors. :)

I have nothing against it. I admire Lance and the way he uses his fame to positive effect. I support cancer research with donations, but I'm not one to wear my heart on my sleeve, as they say.

Yes, I've got one and I wear it 24 hours a day 7 days a week, no matter what I'm doing. Had it since July last year, thanks to a nice lady in Kansas who sent me it following a plea on the VeloNews TdF forum (you couldn't get 'em in Scotland at that time and I really wanted one)

Funny thing is - when I'm at the gym, or out on my bike, and I'm feeling a bit knackered and thinking of chucking it in, the band is a wee reminder that I'm a hell of a lot luckier than a lot of people, people who would give anything to be able to cycle or run but can't 'cos they're too sick. Maybe that's pathetic, and maybe I should be able to get motivated without it, but it's the way it is.

:) The braclet represents the fight against cancer..what a fantastic idea to raise awarness and money for the cause. It reminds me everyday that life is incredibly short and should be lived to the fullest. I give Lance alot of credit for beating that disease..what an achievement!!

I have been a big LA fan from the late '90's but only ordered/started wearing the band since I was diagnosed with cancer late last year.
It's still quite the thing amongst the kids to wear support bands in the UK but it just sticks in the craw a little when they've no idea what it stands for.
Also my look of astonishment, followed by <expletive deleted> when they ask me if I got mine on E-Bay . . . has nobody under 20 heard of the LAF and their website before?

BomoSammo said:
I have been a big LA fan from the late '90's but only ordered/started wearing the band since I was diagnosed with cancer late last year.
It's still quite the thing amongst the kids to wear support bands in the UK but it just sticks in the craw a little when they've no idea what it stands for.
Also my look of astonishment, followed by <expletive deleted> when they ask me if I got mine on E-Bay . . . has nobody under 20 heard of the LAF and their website before?
Too may copycat bands that have made the original LAF less poignant.

Most girls clothing stores in the UK sell 'fashion bands' - is that what they are? I thought they were to show support for a good cause - but when Premiership footballers jump on the badwagon it can have a negative effect.

I still wear my LAF yellow one 24/7 along with a dark blue one supporting my financially unsound football club (that's soccer to any US readers, or proper football as we like to call it in Blighty!). BTW that is Oldham Athletic's Keep The Faith campaign.

PS How can people sell Livestrong bands on Ebay in any colour other than yellow??? FAKE

I wear one I bought 20 of them and have been giving them out to frienda and family. My Dad died of Stomach cancer a couple years ago he got me into cycling and when he was really sick he told me all the make relatives on his side of the family except his brother and his father had died of cancer...
I wear it for spport and am glad to inform people when they ask...
Jeremy

Hi BomoSammo,

>I have been a big LA fan from the late '90's but only ordered/started wearing the band since I was diagnosed with cancer late last year.

you may want to check out
http://www.ridetolive.org/ccc.nsf/aboutus.htm

it is an email group of bikers that have cancer related concerns. very pro LA.

i hope that your cancer treatment is effective.

cu,
larryb
oral cancer - 4 yrs ago. :D