Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Thanks for the website info, Larry.
Things are well on the mend for me so should be back on my bike sometime in the Summer.
Cheers,

Sammo

I wore one for a long time - as did my husband, son and daughter. Now, the yellow bands (along with other bands) are a fashion statement for middle schoolers - so we have taken ours off for now.

We still (financially) support cancer research, of course, since cancer has struck our family several times. LAF is a great organization!

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.
i received mine from the wife of my best friend who passed away 3 weeks after receiving word that he had cancer. he would have been 58 years old this june 4th. he was about 6'2" approx 240 lbs and in great shape. we skied and kayaked together for many years. we grew up together, i knew him from the time he was 3 years old.

i wear the yellow wrist band every day in memory of George Baldwin, my friend. i have a very large void in my life. he was a most unique and fantastic person.

I have worked in a radiation oncology center for 5 years and one of the guys I work with is a 2 time cancer survivor and is big into cycling. He is the reason I train. We do an annual ride of about 140 miles (next Saturday...ugh) to celebrate the anniversary of his last day of treatment (now 7 years from his most recent cancer) So, of course I wear one. Besides my friend here at work, I wear it for my mom who died from lung cancer in '99 and for all of the patients I help take care of....also, in a way I wear it for my 3 girls (4 yrs old, and 20mo old twins) in hopes research will prevent them from ever having this terrible disease....

scott0425 said:
I have worked in a radiation oncology center for 5 years and one of the guys I work with is a 2 time cancer survivor and is big into cycling. He is the reason I train. We do an annual ride of about 140 miles (next Saturday...ugh) to celebrate the anniversary of his last day of treatment (now 7 years from his most recent cancer) So, of course I wear one. Besides my friend here at work, I wear it for my mom who died from lung cancer in '99 and for all of the patients I help take care of....also, in a way I wear it for my 3 girls (4 yrs old, and 20mo old twins) in hopes research will prevent them from ever having this terrible disease....
Well, I think that it is VERY important for all of us to wear the yellow band! It actually brings cancer to mind on the part of people who see them when you go somewhere. We are going to have to get some more of them. We have an extremely large kitten, Bert, who is attracted to them and has, so far, destroyed at least one! (We call him "Comin' Through Kapinski" because if you happen to be walking where he is planning to run, he just sorta knocks you over! Naturally, he couldn't BE nicer about it! (His people were apparently VERY large cats, possible Maine Coon cats or Norwegian Forest cats.)

scott0425 said:

Well, I think that it is VERY important for all of us to wear the yellow band! It actually brings cancer to mind on the part of people who see them when you go somewhere. We are going to have to get some more of them. We have an extremely large kitten, Bert, who is attracted to them and has, so far, destroyed at least one! (We call him "Comin' Through Kapinski" because if you happen to be walking where he is planning to run, he just sorta knocks you over! Naturally, he couldn't BE nicer about it! (His people were apparently VERY large cats, possible Maine Coon cats or Norwegian Forest cats.)

RuthA said:
I forgot to sign my name - thanks from RuthA

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.
I have one and I put it on my seat post along with my bracelet from the Diabeties Foundation. I wear a POW/MIA bracelet from Vietnam and have done so for over 8 years...this is why my LAF bracelet is on my seatpost.

Lance has been and still is an inspiration to me and for my riding but I donated to the foundation because I lost my mother to cancer and the bracelet is for that, above and beyond my support for him going for #7 :D

jaguar75 said:
I have one and I put it on my seat post along with my bracelet from the Diabeties Foundation. I wear a POW/MIA bracelet from Vietnam and have done so for over 8 years...this is why my LAF bracelet is on my seatpost.

Lance has been and still is an inspiration to me and for my riding but I donated to the foundation because I lost my mother to cancer and the bracelet is for that, above and beyond my support for him going for #7 :D
I, too, wear a red "Insulin is not a cure" bracelet right next to my LiveStrong! I will always be a Type 1 and I just hope that getting more LiveStrongs can help the never-ending fight against cancer!

RuthA

Yeah. I look down at it when I am pushing myself and it stops me from stopping. I just see yellow and keep going.

:) I wear many bracelets, one for breast cancer because i'm a survivor one for world unity because i feel that we should accept everyone no matter what they believe in or who. I wear a yellow livestrong bracelet also not just because i support the cause or i love to bike but because i'm alive when members of my family are not because of cancer. I do not wear any of the bracelets when i'm riding they are all in the bike pack on my trike i do not wear any jewelry not even my wedding rings or star of david...but they are in my heart and when i feel like i can not go another inch they bring me what i need to go on.

I bought a slew of the bracelets (yes, at the Denver Nike store) last year when they came out. Gave two to a girl I was dating (one for herself, one for her son), then a friend of mine left to Hawaii to die (he had cancer of the esophagus that had metastasized), and at his party I handed out maybe 50 more. I wore my original bracelet until it disintegrated and snapped, and just lately, seeing a lot of bikers on the trails still wearing theirs, I went down to the Nike store and bought two more. You know, never bought any Nike gear there, never will. Not a big fan of the mega-stores.

But I do like it that duluth_rider brought up a little consciousness. Actually, a normal donation to a charity (for whatever purpose, be it health-related, or not), by law, has only a few legal parameters. Only 10% of money donated HAS to go to the stated purpose (for instance, the Red Cross got millions after 9-11, but only used 10% for the "relief", as per code). The other 90% can and usually DOES go towards the administrative "expenses" of the charity or 501(c)(3) (non-profit). So, when someone donates $1 directly to, say, a cancer-related non-profit/charity, only $0.10 goes to the intended recipient(s), either cancer research or whatever. The rest goes towards the "administrative expenses".... which explains why Bob Dole's wife was the head of the American Red Cross, for instance. She got PAID a lot of money for ostensibly heading up what is generally perceived as a charitable organization (except by the French hemophiliacs who received AIDS tainted blood under Dole's watch, that is)....
Anyway, my uncle Charles died of cancer, as did his wife Ruth. My other uncle Eddie also died of cancer.
Who knows.
Live life one day at a time.
And live it strong.
Carpe diem.
And really, petty rants like duluth-rider's ..... while bashing corporations is always fun (for me, too), I truly believe that LAF, as it DOES contribute ALL of the $1 for each bracelet towards cancer research, separates itself from other charities and has MY vote. And going down to the 16th Street Mall and buying the bracelets has not enticed me to buy ANY of their Nike gear. Nor will it.
:)
For what it is worth.

WKrider said:
I was at work yesterday and someone asked me what it was. I told them it was to support cancer research and he asked how long was I supposed to wear it. I told him as long as I liked. But then I started thnkning about it. How long do I wear it?

Mine broke about a month ago. I feel there are times, especially in a professional business environment when handling customers, where it wasn't appropriate, so I'd take it off. Unfortunately, they take to being taken on & off as well as a tubular.

I'd like to get another - mine was given to me by a 20-something friend who's 20-something wife & mother of their 2 kids had cancer in her thyroid. I have also lost family & friends to cancer. Gotta' get another one (or two).

-Joe

I've had one since they started in June, 2004 and except for breaking my wrist, having it cut off in the ER, and not being able to wear a new one for 6 weeks (I only have one arm), I haven't taken it off since.

Lance overcame cancer and in supporting his cause for the many of my family members who have succumbed to cancer and to my overcoming my loss of an arm to continue cycling, I believe in wearing it until I die!

I bought 80 of them when they first came out and passed them on to friends and family. I thought the support for the LAF would be a great thing to make popular here in town. However, I see everyone wearing them now more for a fashion statement. But I just bought another one (since my first one broke) and have it on right now. I guess that's the breaks for being such a trend setter :cool:
:rolleyes: ;)

Dudee said:
TrekDedicated, Great statement, thats exactly how I feel, I got my dad and I one each before they became all "cool" and stuff for people that don't even care for the sport or the cause.

I'm just wondering do you guys wear it when you cycle too? I don't because I don't want it to be all nasty and stuff when I'm not on a bike, just wondering.
Ha Ha! I have a solution ... I bought 20 of them & waited about 8 weeks for delivery. I was given my first one on a plane into Orlando when I sat beside a guy who was wearing one (just before the tour started last year), & recognised the one he had on. We bored everyone around us with bike talk & predictions for the tour - Ullrich to challenge (wrong), Lance to be run close (wrong), Hamilton to challenge (HaHaHaHa!). He gave me his & when it broke I bought 20 more. I give them to friends & acquaintences who want them, provided I'm not just subsidising someone's fashion-victimhood (ie they know what the whole thing is about).

So I never wear the same one for more than a couple of months - you pass on the one you're wearing & if anyone offers to pay I tell them to put a pound in the next cancer research box they see.

I'm doing this year's Etape to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care in memory of my Mum who died exactly a year (& 9 hours) ago & spent her last days in their care. You could (if you really wanted to) sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/justinbeattie

I ordered mine online ,but, I have recently seen them in convenent stores.

Rob (Fortworth,Texas.)