Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

duluth_rider said:
If people cannot lives trong without a little piece of plastic, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick of Nike and Lance Armstrong Enterprises, than they should take a good hard look at themselves.

I think it is extremely silly and if LA himself passed me on a climb and handed me one I would do my best to catch him and tell him that. Or maybe he would wait at the top to hear my opinion.

Your $1 does not do anything to help cure cancer. This is nothing more than a ploy by Nike and LA to sell more gear. Get a bunch of non-thinking knuckle heads hooked on livestrong by giving them a cheap plastic bracelet for $1 and then get them to buy their expensive livestrong gear. Want a $20 T-shirt with that pair of live strong shoes?

The T-shirts and shorts are already out. Buy em now, Lemmings. Of course, none of that "REAL" money goes to cancer research. Just that little $1 bill from that piece of plastic.

All of the information that I could find on the web (including numerous sources that have no connection to LA or the LAF) say that all of the profits from sales of the wristbands go toward cancer research. It also says in several places that Nike donated $1 million to kick things off.

Are you personally aware of some great conspiracy that somehow slipped by the rest of the world? Where do you get your information? I'm guessing that it may have been pulled from a dark and not so pleasant smelling crevice on your body? Or maybe you're just having a bad day?

I wear one to support cancer research and to show my love for cycling. My wife had cancer and is a survivor, my grandfather has cancer, I have had two cousins die from cancer and another one who is terminal. My wife's best friend just got over brain cancer. We bought fifty of the bands back in June. The scary thing is we gave every single one of them away in about a week to close friends and family who either have cancer, had cancer, or a family member has had it. Needless to say, cancer has had a profound impact on my life. To the naysayers who say this is a marketing scam, I say go to www.laf.org and see how much money the foundation has generated for research and then tell me it is a marketing scam by Nike and Lance. Peace.

duluth_rider said:
Aesop's Fables, Dr. Seuss, Little Golden Books.

It helped with my deductive reasoning. That is how I was able to quickly figure out that this is just a marketing ploy, while others think it is some kind of revelation.

Keep buying those bracelets. It allows me to see who is worth talking to without a word being spoken.

So you base your opinion of a person on what they wear or how they appear to you. Those of us that you do not wish to converse with will sadly miss your intuitive wisdom and on behalf of all us undesirables in the the world I thank you for your thoughtful neglect.

duluth_rider said:
Aesop's Fables, Dr. Seuss, Little Golden Books.

It helped with my deductive reasoning. That is how I was able to quickly figure out that this is just a marketing ploy, while others think it is some kind of revelation.

Keep buying those bracelets. It allows me to see who is worth talking to without a word being spoken.
Hey Sherlock, you haven't figured out jack...b. Your statement makes no sense...How can you see who buys the product? and c. If you haven't noticed...there are no words spoken on this forum. So....

You should go back to reading "Horton hires a Ho" or perhaps "The Cat who Shat in the Hat" since you are still an infant... :rolleyes:

duluth_rider said:

What do you say about AIDS ribbons and Breast Cancer pins etc? Are those ploys to?

meehs said:
All of the information that I could find on the web (including numerous sources that have no connection to LA or the LAF) say that all of the profits from sales of the wristbands go toward cancer research. It also says in several places that Nike donated $1 million to kick things off.

Are you personally aware of some great conspiracy that somehow slipped by the rest of the world? Where do you get your information? I'm guessing that it may have been pulled from a dark and not so pleasant smelling crevice on your body? Or maybe you're just having a bad day?
What conspiracy? I never said there was a conspiracy. Just clever marketing. Nike and LA get essentially free advertising by saying they are doing all this for cancer. Sure, all the money from the bracelets go to the LAF. I have no problem with that. That was nice.

But they used the free publicity and the "livestrong" name to market a whole line of clothes with that name. As far as I can tell, none of that money goes to Cancer.

So, for a $1 million investment (not a donation), they get free publicity that generates hundreds of millions in revenue.

Seems rather shady to me, but buy it and wear that stuff all you want. You are helping a good cause. Nike and LA need more money. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it is some generous gift from Nike and LA. The majority of the money is coming from people like you.

BTW, I am having an okay day. Thanks.

zapper said:
Hey Sherlock, you haven't figured out jack...b. Your statement makes no sense...How can you see who buys the product? and c. If you haven't noticed...there are no words spoken on this forum. So....

You should go back to reading "Horton hires a Ho" or perhaps "The Cat who Shat in the Hat" since you are still an infant... :rolleyes:
Sometimes I go out in the real world and when I see someone wearing that bracelet I know that I am dealing with a total simpleton. A typical pop-culture moron that cannot think for themselves.

Sorry if that sounds like someone whose teeth you brush.

TrekDedicated said:
What do you say about AIDS ribbons and Breast Cancer pins etc? Are those ploys to?
Does Nike and LA have some new lines coming out? Pink would be great for the Breast Cancer pins. Breasts always make me pedal faster. Especially if they are on a nice looking woman.

It would be kind of hard to make money off of AIDS though, so Nike and LA will probably stay out of that arena.

A friend gave me one. I wore it for a couple weeks, now I wear it one or two times a week. It's just rubber so it'll eventually get worn out. It's been a conversation starter and I've noticed lots of people in non-cycling venues with them too - we usually nod at each other with acknowledgement.

I don't think many folks know about the Nike connection - Nike may be getting some publicity out of it but that's why corporations make charitable contributions to any cause - I've never heard of an annonymous corporate donation. The company decides how much it wants to be charitable and to whom based on image and publicity and benevolence... hardly a conspiracy or scam.

My best friend died in his teens of cancer. My wife's best friend died in her late twenties. Two grandparents as well. Cancer is very very close to me and my family, and I hate it. No, I am not wearing one of those stupid wristbands.

Although I'm happy to see the cause getting this attention, I hope it's really the cause that's getting attention, vs. people just making a fashion statement, or a statement around some kind of political correctness.

If you want to further cancer research, please please do donate. I think LA is doing some great things to help fund research, and the LAF is NOT a money-making ploy, but respeced non-profit. That said, my $$$ are going to organizations such as the American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org).

You can learn more about cancer research and these kinds of foundations at the National Cancer Institute website, http://cis.nci.nih.gov.

duluth_rider said:
Sometimes I go out in the real world and when I see someone wearing that bracelet I know that I am dealing with a total simpleton. A typical pop-culture moron that cannot think for themselves.

Sorry if that sounds like someone whose teeth you brush.

Yes I am such a Moron. How much money do you make in a year? I the Simpleton will not tell you exactly but I am so stupid that I live very comfortable,own two homes ans will retire at 55. My wife the other Simpleton hold two degrees and is VP at a bank. Amazing what complete naive idiots can do. What a country. You are about to catch a lot of **** from alot of people would be my guess. I don't know you but you should not make broad generalization about people you don't know.

RC2 said:
My best friend died in his teens of cancer. My wife's best friend died in her late twenties. Two grandparents as well. Cancer is very very close to me and my family, and I hate it. No, I am not wearing one of those stupid wristbands.

Although I'm happy to see the cause getting this attention, I hope it's really the cause that's getting attention, vs. people just making a fashion statement, or a statement around some kind of political correctness.

If you want to further cancer research, please please do donate. I think LA is doing some great things to help fund research, and the LAF is NOT a money-making ploy, but respeced non-profit. That said, my $$$ are going to organizations such as the American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org).

You can learn more about cancer research and these kinds of foundations at the National Cancer Institute website, http://cis.nci.nih.gov.
I never meant to imply that the LAF is a money-making ploy. I believe in the sincerity of their mission. I just don't believe in the sincerity of the "livestrong" campaign. Nike is set to make mountains of money off of what they said was a donation to help fight cancer. I don't know if LA himself is getting a piece of that mountain, but I think it is safe to assume he is. Personally, I find that insulting.

Is 'livestrong" a cancer research money raising vehicle or a Nike clothing line?

jhuskey said:
Yes I am such a Moron. How much money do you make in a year? I the Simpleton will not tell you exactly but I am so stupid that I live very comfortable,own two homes ans will retire at 55. My wife the other Simpleton hold two degrees and is VP at a bank. Amazing what complete naive idiots can do. What a country. You are about to catch a lot of **** from alot of people would be my guess. I don't know you but you should not make broad generalization about people you don't know.
I don't base people's intellect on how much money they have. I am happy that you have all that though. Whatever makes you feel better. I prefer to live a simple life that is harmonious with the land.

I wonder if all that extra electricity that has to be generated to your "2" homes could have anything to do with Cancer. Keep wearing that yellow bracelet and ignoring the fact that conspicous consumption like yours is part of the problem and the reason our environment is going down and cancer rates are going up.

Most people can be happy with one home.

duluth_rider said:
I never meant to imply that the LAF is a money-making ploy. I believe in the sincerity of their mission. I just don't believe in the sincerity of the "livestrong" campaign. Nike is set to make mountains of money off of what they said was a donation to help fight cancer. I don't know if LA himself is getting a piece of that mountain, but I think it is safe to assume he is. Personally, I find that insulting.

Is 'livestrong" a cancer research money raising vehicle or a Nike clothing line?

Ok I read once that Nike is a for profit organization and I am sure that Armstrong doesn't ride entirely for his health but if the effort saves one life its ok by me. If they help find a cure they may insult the hell out of me.

duluth_rider said:
What conspiracy? I never said there was a conspiracy. Just clever marketing. Nike and LA get essentially free advertising by saying they are doing all this for cancer. Sure, all the money from the bracelets go to the LAF. I have no problem with that. That was nice.

But they used the free publicity and the "livestrong" name to market a whole line of clothes with that name. As far as I can tell, none of that money goes to Cancer.

So, for a $1 million investment (not a donation), they get free publicity that generates hundreds of millions in revenue.

Seems rather shady to me, but buy it and wear that stuff all you want. You are helping a good cause. Nike and LA need more money. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it is some generous gift from Nike and LA. The majority of the money is coming from people like you.

BTW, I am having an okay day. Thanks.

Oh, I see. So you don't dispute the fact that the money for the wristbands goes toward cancer research but you're contending that the LAF and Nike have done this as a marketing ploy to sell merchandise? Well... the only merchandise being sold with the "LIVESTRONG" logo on it is through the LAF and part of the proceeds for each sale go toward cancer research. I doubt anyone is going to be making huge amounts of money off of this. So again where are your facts? Where'd you get your information? Specifically, where do you get the idea that Nike and LA are going to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars using these wristbands as their primary source of advertising? Did you just pull that out of the dark recesses of your bitter little head? The wristbands have no Nike or LAF logo on them. You should really have some facts to back-up what your saying before you just start spewing out ass juice.

Oh! And if you see me walking down the street with my yellow wristband on, please keep your promise and don't talk to me. I have no time for simpletons either.

jhuskey said:
Ok I read once that Nike is a for profit organization and I am sure that Armstrong doesn't ride entirely for his health but if the effort saves one life its ok by me. If they help find a cure they may insult the hell out of me.
I have no problem with anyone making money. Even you. It just seems to me to be disingenous to turn all that free publicity from the "livestrong" campaign into a clothing line.

How many people will buy those clothes and think that some of the profits go to fight cancer? I think you know that is true and will happen.

All I ask is for some honesty in how Nike and LA make their money!

meehs said:
Oh, I see. So you don't dispute the fact that the money for the wristbands goes toward cancer research but you're contending that the LAF and Nike have done this as a marketing ploy to sell merchandise? Well... the only merchandise being sold with the "LIVESTRONG" logo on it is through the LAF and part of the proceeds for each sale go toward cancer research. I doubt anyone is going to be making huge amounts of money off of this. So again where are your facts? Where'd you get your information? Specifically, where do you get the idea that Nike and LA are going to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars using these wristbands as their primary source of advertising? Did you just pull that out of the dark recesses of your bitter little head? The wristbands have no Nike or LAF logo on them. You should really have some facts to back-up what your saying before you just start spewing out ass juice.

Oh! And if you see me walking down the street with my yellow wristband on, please keep your promise and don't talk to me. I have no time for simpletons either.
Where do I get my information from? From the Nike Store in my town. They have livestrong T-shirts, shorts and shoes and I see people buying them en masse.

Where do you get your information that Nike is donating that money to the LAF? I could be wrong, but all I ever saw was that the bracelets were donated.

Surely, you don't think the bracelets need to have the Nike logo on them for people to associate the bracelets with the clothing line.

"Livestrong"

duluth_rider said:
Where do I get my information from? From the Nike Store in my town. They have livestrong T-shirts, shorts and shoes and I see people buying them en masse.

Where do you get your information that Nike is donating that money to the LAF? I could be wrong, but all I ever saw was that the bracelets were donated.

Surely, you don't think the bracelets need to have the Nike logo on them for people to associate the bracelets with the clothing line.

"Livestrong"

Nike has no LIVESTRONG merchandise on their web site. I had no idea that Nike was involved with the wristbands until I read this thread. And I have one on my wrist.

I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that you're that much smarter than the millions of people (you know? us lemmings) that have fallen for this ingenius worldwide marketing scam. I really admire you for being able to see through this terrible sham.

duluth_rider said:
I don't base people's intellect on how much money they have. I am happy that you have all that though. Whatever makes you feel better. I prefer to live a simple life that is harmonious with the land.

I wonder if all that extra electricity that has to be generated to your "2" homes could have anything to do with Cancer. Keep wearing that yellow bracelet and ignoring the fact that conspicous consumption like yours is part of the problem and the reason our environment is going down and cancer rates are going up.

Most people can be happy with one home.

You are the one that brought up money and appearances. I was only giving you an avenue to respond. There again for all you know my homes may be solar powered.You are again making generalizations without facts. I didn't say money made me happy but with it we are able to assist more people who need help and that is what the wristbands are all about. Why don't you attack the sorry SOB"s that are filfthy rich and never help anyone.They never make the news fo not donating.

meehs said:
Nike has no LIVESTRONG merchandise on their web site. I had no idea that Nike was involved with the wristbands until I read this thread. And I have one on my wrist.

I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that you're that much smarter than the millions of people (you know? us lemmings) that have fallen for this ingenius worldwide marketing scam. I really admire you for being able to see through this terrible sham.
I think you are being sarcastic. Do you have a Niketown store near you? Go and look at all the livestrong gear they have.

I cannot find one thing on the web about Nike donating the proceeds of anything but the bracelets.

Sorry if you didn't like the term "Lemmings". But anyone can donate $1 to cancer research anytime they want. It shouldn't take a fashion statement or people wanting to look "cool" to do it.

Maybe you should think about your own motivations before attacking mine.