Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

BomoSammo said:
I'm sorry PJF, as you are not the only one, but as a LA appreciater (if not necessarily a fan) and a cancer survivor (so far, touch wood) I find it abhorrent that you bought from eBay (none of your money goes to charity) rather than the Lance Armstrong Foundation (you can order from their website and the money goes to charity).
I hate to ask, does yours even have LIVESTRONG stamped on it? If not, it was never a charity raiser at all.
"Abhorrent" is a bit harsh BomoSammo. I live in New Zealand and the postage to here would have been $12 - I bought mine from an online Nike supplier who guaranteed that $1 from the band would go to LAF as other Nike suppliers do. LAF charge $10 for 10 bands so would have recieved the same dollar via Nike. And yes, it came in official packaging with LiveStrong stamped into it.

PearlJamFan said:
"Abhorrent" is a bit harsh BomoSammo. I live in New Zealand and the postage to here would have been $12 - I bought mine from an online Nike supplier who guaranteed that $1 from the band would go to LAF as other Nike suppliers do. LAF charge $10 for 10 bands so would have recieved the same dollar via Nike. And yes, it came in official packaging with LiveStrong stamped into it.
Then I humbly apologise as I wrongly assumed that it was a eBay sale from a private individual rather than an authorised outlet that still guarantees that the charity receives it's cash.

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.
I don't have one, dont want one... I think its a bit silly that someone would buy this band because lance armstrong is involved. I have contributed to different charities and will in the future without needing lance to make it cool...

In your lifetime you'll have a 50/50 chance that your opinion will change. The broader issue involved is to raise awareness for that aspect of the disease of cancer and to allow individuals all over the world the means to partcipate as advocates for a solution.

Even if you are a complete d*ckhead, that's actually pretty cool. :p

e0richt said:
I don't have one, dont want one... I think its a bit silly that someone would buy this band because lance armstrong is involved. I have contributed to different charities and will in the future without needing lance to make it cool...

Hmmmmm. I think it's a bit silly....no, make that stupid.....that someone would actually think that everyone who wears a LiveStrong band is doing so because Lance Armstrong is involved. There are more than a few of us whosed lives have actually been affected by cancer--either personally or via a loved one or friend with cancer--and therefore we don't think there's anything "cool" about it: we think it's important, urgent, necessary.

Just as there are people who wear LiveStrong bands because it's allegedly fashionable, there are also idiots, posing wankers who think it makes them cool or individual by not wearing one whilst while spewing **** about wearers of the band.

I think we know which group e0richt fits in.

alienator said:
Hmmmmm. I think it's a bit silly....no, make that stupid.....that someone would actually think that everyone who wears a LiveStrong band is doing so because Lance Armstrong is involved. There are more than a few of us whosed lives have actually been affected by cancer--either personally or via a loved one or friend with cancer--and therefore we don't think there's anything "cool" about it: we think it's important, urgent, necessary.

Just as there are people who wear LiveStrong bands because it's allegedly fashionable, there are also idiots, posing wankers who think it makes them cool or individual by not wearing one whilst while spewing **** about wearers of the band.

I think we know which group e0richt fits in.
I re-read my post and even though I didn't say it explicitly, I did imply that... my apologies...

I support many charities throughout the year....some of those are medical and some are involved in cancer research...while I respect what Mr Armstrong has accomplished professionally as a rider, and also as a cancer survivor....I have no respect for him as a husband/father...so I will continue to support the charities I do, but no way will I wear a yellow wristband associated with Armstrong....I've worn the ribbons on my lapel during work for breat cancer awareness....and I even wear a purple wristband for diabetes awareness...but I will not wear the Livestrong bracelet....I think it's great that so many people enjoy wearing them, it's just not for me.

Pharmr said:
I support many charities throughout the year....some of those are medical and some are involved in cancer research...while I respect what Mr Armstrong has accomplished professionally as a rider, and also as a cancer survivor....I have no respect for him as a husband/father...so I will continue to support the charities I do, but no way will I wear a yellow wristband associated with Armstrong....I've worn the ribbons on my lapel during work for breat cancer awareness....and I even wear a purple wristband for diabetes awareness...but I will not wear the Livestrong bracelet....I think it's great that so many people enjoy wearing them, it's just not for me.

You'll have to excuse me, but I'm afraid it's not obvious how exactly you're privy to the details of Armstrong's personal life. My guess is that you have no clue but are relying on assumptions, instead. Typical. You know someone could presume just as easily that you're a shite father and a **** husband. Of course, that might make you bristle since you think you hold some bit of the moral highground.

Alas, it seems you're naught but a blowhard, and a presumptive blowhard at that.

alienator said:
You'll have to excuse me, but I'm afraid it's not obvious how exactly you're privy to the details of Armstrong's personal life. My guess is that you have no clue but are relying on assumptions, instead. Typical. You know someone could presume just as easily that you're a shite father and a **** husband. Of course, that might make you bristle since you think you hold some bit of the moral highground.

Alas, it seems you're naught but a blowhard, and a presumptive blowhard at that.
listen jacka$$...all I did was offer my opinion...which was asked for in this thread...excuse me if it doesn't fall right in line with yours...you do what ever the hell you want and why don't you let the rest of us do the same....alas....it seems to me the biggest blowhard on this thread is you....typical.

Pharmr said:
listen jacka$$...all I did was offer my opinion...which was asked for in this thread...excuse me if it doesn't fall right in line with yours...you do what ever the hell you want and why don't you let the rest of us do the same....alas....it seems to me the biggest blowhard on this thread is you....typical.

Wow. I was just asking where you got your privileged info, babycakes. What's the matter: is babycakes upset? You know it's an awefully weak mind that has to resort to cursing, cupcake. Maybe I touched a nerve. Maybe you suck as a dad and husband, too.

Pharmr said:

Armstrong did get divorced form his wife but many people get divorced. In fact more marriages end-up in divorce than not. But what I'd like to know Pharmr, is why you think Armstrong is a bad father. From everything I've read, even his ex-wife says that he's a very good father. I couldn't care less one way or the other as to whether or not you wear a yellow wristband. I don't (anymore). I'm just wondering on what grounds you formed this opinion.

alienator said:
Wow. I was just asking where you got your privileged info, babycakes. What's the matter: is babycakes upset? You know it's an awefully weak mind that has to resort to cursing, cupcake. Maybe I touched a nerve. Maybe you suck as a dad and husband, too.
yawn....I'm already bored with you....I offered up my opinion, in a non offensive way....you got your panties in a wad because not everyone wants to worship Armstrong...you insulted me and then act surprised when I give a little back, baby-cakes?...typical...and if your going to accuse someone of having a weak mind you should learn to spell "awfully"...cupcake.

meehs said:
Armstrong did get divorced form his wife but many people get divorced. In fact more marriages end-up in divorce than not. But what I'd like to know Pharmr, is why you think Armstrong is a bad father. From everything I've read, even his ex-wife says that he's a very good father. I couldn't care less one way or the other as to whether or not you wear a yellow wristband. I don't (anymore). I'm just wondering on what grounds you formed this opinion.
listen, I just don't think that good fathers leave/divorce their wives, especially when there are small children in the mix...period...I don't need to be privy to any secret information...I don't care if it's Lance or my next door neighbor...that's just how I feel...and if someone does so, I find it hard to respect them...I agree divorce is ridiculously out of hand...all of you are entitled to your opinions, just like I am...we can agree to disagree.

Pharmr said:
yawn....I'm already bored with you....I offered up my opinion, in a non offensive way....you got your panties in a wad because not everyone wants to worship Armstrong...you insulted me and then act surprised when I give a little back, baby-cakes?...typical...and if your going to accuse someone of having a weak mind you should learn to spell "awfully"...cupcake.

Very weak mind. You completely ignore your limp curse-filled response. And a spelling error? That's the best you can do? Wow. I weep for your kids.

alienator said:
Very weak mind. You completely ignore your limp curse-filled response. And a spelling error? That's the best you can do? Wow. I weep for your kids.
if you think that the proper use of "jacka$$", and "hell" each one time constitutes a "curse-filled response"...then you should weep for yourself....bottom line is you're the one that is ignoring what has been said in this discussion...and you're the one that continues to be insulting....typical.

Pharmr said:
if you think that the proper use of "jacka$$", and "hell" each one time constitutes a "curse-filled response"...then you should weep for yourself....bottom line is you're the one that is ignoring what has been said in this discussion...and you're the one that continues to be insulting....typical.

How would you know typical?

Say are you one of those "Promise Keeper" freaks? As for being a bad dad for getting divorced.....gee, it's much better to stay together no matter how bad things get. Yup. That's a real healthy environment: kids living in a home where mommy and daddy aren't diggin' each other anymore. Yup. Geez. Talk about close minded: you are that to a 'T'.

Pharmr said:
listen, I just don't think that good fathers leave/divorce their wives, especially when there are small children in the mix...period...I don't need to be privy to any secret information...I don't care if it's Lance or my next door neighbor...that's just how I feel...and if someone does so, I find it hard to respect them...I agree divorce is ridiculously out of hand...all of you are entitled to your opinions, just like I am...we can agree to disagree.

I'm sorry but that's just absolutely ridiculous! Are you a father? Are you even married? There are many instances where the parents divorcing and moving apart is not only not harmful to the children but actually healthy for the children. Do you really believe that it's better for small children to be around two parents who are estranged from one another and fighting all of the time than it is for them to be around each of their parents separately when they are happy and enjoying their childrens' company? To say that any man who gets divorced from his wife is automatically a bad father is just plain, flat-out wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not privy to Lance Armstrong's personal life and I don't know what kind of father he is (and you don't either most likely). You're certainly entitled to your opinion (however naive it may be) but with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to fatherhood and divorce.

meehs said:
I'm sorry but that's just absolutely ridiculous! Are you a father? Are you even married? There are many instances where the parents divorcing and moving apart is not only not harmful to the children but actually healthy for the children. Do you really believe that it's better for small children to be around two parents who are estranged from one another and fighting all of the time than it is for them to be around each of their parents separately when they are happy and enjoying their childrens' company? To say that any man who gets divorced from his wife is automatically a bad father is just plain, flat-out wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not privy to Lance Armstrong's personal life and I don't know what kind of father he is (and you don't either most likely). You're certainly entitled to your opinion (however naive it may be) but with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to fatherhood and divorce.

+1.

I'm in healthcare- I've got to say that the incredible cancer awareness as well as patient hope ( !!! ) Lance has given throughout his spotlight in cycling will forever make him a hero in my book. What is speculated of his private life- well that matters to me as much as which hand he waived with on the podium.

meehs said:
I'm am both a husband and a father...but you know now I think all of you are correct...everyone should get married, have kids, and then when things aren't just peaches and cream, they should get divorced...how could I have been so wrong?...I apologize for my opinion...I think broken families are a good thing.