Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Beastt said:
You actually make some fairly sound points, duluth_rider. I love your dedication to the environment as I feel much the same way. I'm not going to bag on JHuskey here, but you're correct. People in America are so driven to succeed that I think we often forget that resources are limited. If I have more than I need, then someone somewhere in the world probably has less than they need. Since you're so in tuned to the environment, I'm sure I'll see your posts on some of the diet related threads and I look foreward to reading them.

As to your ability to rate my intelligence based on whether or not I have a LiveSTRONG wrist band on my arm, I think you've weeded out a few important variables. I think I know where you're coming from. It's not completely unlike the way I feel when I see people driving around with little American flags clipped onto their cars to show support for America. Support for America isn't a bad thing but I personally feel they'd do better to remember that those flags are supposed to be representative of things that America seems to have lost touch with. I'd rather see them reading the Constitution or posting a copy of it for others to read.

I have no doubt that Nike will profit from the sale of these wrist bands or from any of the other items they're marketing. And there is no question that they are using their association with Lance Armstrong to increase their profits. But I find that I do have choices. I could buy Adidas clothing and no wrist band and none of my dollars go to cancer or I can jump on the band wagon and feel that I've done a little something to perhaps reduce the suffering of one or two people. The whole cancer thing is a bonus for me. I'm an Armstrong fan and a fan of cycling in general. As such the band is more than a statement about the desire to donate to cancer research, it's also a statement about cycling and about Lance Armstrong.

I think you're dead on the money about how many silly little campaigns get started and millions of people latch onto them without having the slightest clue about the true motives behind many of them. But I will have to disagree with you concerning your contention that anyone wearing one of these bands is intellectually inferior to yourself. There are a number of factors involved in accurately assessing intelligence and a number of factors will determine whether or not each person will choose to buy or wear a wrist band.

As a final comment; thank you for your original post. You've stirred a bit of controversy in the thread and I think that's good for the thread as well as the people who visit here. It gets people thinking and involved. I can't agree with your overall conclusion but you shouldn't take the full load of everyone's objections by yourself. You do have a sound basis for your objections but not every program that attracts a lot of attention is necessarily a bad thing even when it helps large corporations to increase their profits.
Thanks. I don't really think I am more intelligent than anyone else. I was just being obnoxious to illustrate my point.

You did a much better job of making my point, yellow bracelet or no yellow bracelet.

I used o be a big Lance fan, but I tend to jump off a badwagon and route for the underdog when someone gets so good that they demolish the competition. I just wanted my bias to be plain to see. I like Lance better when no one believed he could do it. I don't blame him for being so good. It isn't his fault. I just find him less rootable now. I also thought he acted like a bully with Simeoni. But, no doubt, he is the best cyclist in the world.

I am taking my family to visit a Solar Home in Maine in 3 weeks, with the hopes of emulating it. I am counting the days. This house lives on the grid and actually generates enough power to sell back to the electric company for credit. They use that credit when they have low power output.

As far as diet. That is my wife's department. She is very into Yoga and nutrition and I almost always eat what she gives me, and it is always something healthy and natural. I do still sneak unhealthy stuff from time to time.

duluth_rider said:
You were bragging about your money to show how smart you are. Less than .03% of homes are solar powered so it is a pretty safe assumption that yours are not.

Also, most people who have solar powered houses are environmentally aware and would see the gross excess of one family having two houses.

Enjoy them.

"They saves all the trees and put them in a tree museum. Then they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them"

Maybe if LA promoted the environment with a green bracelet you would get it. Sadly, you probably still wouldn't.

You don't know the first thing about me.
Actually one of houses is rented to a family with a lot of medical problems. Sometimes they can't pay rent on time but we get by. I suppose I could burn it and leave them homeless but that would pollute the air. Someone beat me to the "intellect should not be based on wearing appare"l. And I suppose your computer runs on horse SH*T. which you are full of. You should get a life obviously you are not a happy person. I am not basing that on what you wear but what you have posted.

jhuskey said:
You don't know the first thing about me.
Actually one of houses is rented to a family with a lot of medical problems. Sometimes they can't pay rent on time but we get by. I suppose I could burn it and leave them homeless but that would pollute the air. Someone beat me to the "intellect should not be based on wearing appare"l. And I suppose your computer runs on horse SH*T. which you are full of. You should get a life obviously you are not a happy person. I am not basing that on what you wear but what you have posted.

You know I would like to retract this reply ,except for the part about the rent and you not knowing me because, I don't know you. Picture this you are holding your wifes hand while she has a large needle thrust into her hipbone for bonemarrow test knowing her mother has already gone through years on chemo. You know about solar power . What do you know about cancer survival rate. I am finished on this subject and ready to move on.

Why doesn't everyone go the rec.racing forum through the "road" forum and see the multi-page discussion on this topic instead of taking this as a personal issue because one person disagrees with the rest of the board.

I happen to agree with the basics of what he says.

While the LAF is a noble and just group that is trying very hard to raise awareness and promote research for cancer victims, the whole idea of the Livestrong band and its backing by a company that is notorious for doing anything to make a buck leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

There is no doubt that cancer has in some way effected pretty much everyone on the planet in some capacity, some people much more than others. But to think that this "flavor of the month" symbol will really promote any more change and awareness than is already out there is simply being blind to the realities of the world. I guarantee you that the only people that will still be wearing them six months from now are hard core cyclists and their immediate families, and friends of LA. It is an unfortunate fact that overexposure creates fads, and right now if you want to be hip, you wear a Livestrong band.

I would rather take my $1, or even more, and send it directly to the A.C.S. or Hopkins (since they are local to me) and have them put the money to good use. At least then I know exactly where it is going.

Just my worthless opinion.

jhuskey said:
You know I would like to retract this reply ,except for the part about the rent and you not knowing me because, I don't know you. Picture this you are holding your wifes hand while she has a large needle thrust into her hipbone for bonemarrow test knowing her mother has already gone through years on chemo. You know about solar power . What do you know about cancer survival rate. I am finished on this subject and ready to move on.
Relax. Someone asked the question about the Yellow Bracelet and I gave my reply. Ease up.

I guess the same kind of person that would think they are doing something special because they wear a yellow plastic bracelet made in China is the same kind of person that would take what people say on a message board so seriously.

No one asked for your life story.

duluth_rider said:
I was just being obnoxious to illustrate my point.

...I tend to jump off a badwagon and route for the underdog...

If you're going down that "root", you should learn to distinguish the difference between "route" and "root". You wouldn't want to look like a simpleton.

Livestrong is a new educational division within the LAF. Nike donated an original 1 mil no questions asked, paid for the 5 mil wristbands produced and all proceeds are going to the LAF. That's 6 mil all up and they are probably going to have to make more of them if they haven't already. Does Nike expect to get anything from this, yes just what every other for profit business would get from this type of conduct; support from customers for a job well done. By the way how much marketing has Nike done to sell the Livestrong wristbands. None that I can see, it's all being done through the LAF and Livestrong. In fact most people don't even realize Nike is behind the scene making this happen for the LAF.

If they are indeed now selling apparel as well, you can bet that all the proceeds are going to be going to the LAF also. Since there doesn't appear to be any concrete evidence on this yet it would be reasonable to assume this rather than assuming Nike is profiting from it.

And who cares whether some people don't really understand what it is for or are doing it as a fad to be cool thing, we got a dollar from them and that's all that counts. There are plenty who do understand what it's all about, and unfortunately they have cancer. :eek:

Rompinrhino said:
It would seem that some of you missed something.

--DiabloScott

--meehs

Interesting! I got the wristbands that I have when I made a donation to the LAF. They came in a big, clear plastic bag without the cardboard "Nike" display card on it. I've never seen them packaged individually like that. I admit that if Nike is trying to profit form the LIVESTRONG campaign it's pretty lame! The bands themselves however have no Nike logo on them (at least the ones I have), they just say "LIVESTRONG".

The one thing that it did say on the bag thay my wristbands came in (in large black letters) was "MADE IN CHINA"! I was disappointed to see that I have to say.

We're all entitled to our own opinions about the wristbands and the LAF. Personally I think that in the end it's for a good cause. If some people are bilking profits off of it, it's sad but the campaign has still made a lot of money for cancer research. there's certainly no need to attack anyone personally for wearing a wristband. For instance suggesting that everyone who wears them is of lesser intelligence.... Or poking fun at a guy's dog... ;)

izzodesh said:
took me a month to find it and now it aint coming off for a Longggggggggg
time

Wore mine for some time and it is now displayed on my handlebars. It is more than just a band, but a message as to how to live life.

duluth_rider said:
Maybe I have had to deal with plenty and dealt with it without some phony symbol that does not mean anything.

It means nothing to you. It might be phony to you but I would argue that it might mean something a little different to each person wearing it. I doubt it means nothing to Armstrong and his fellow cancer surviviors. It means what you think it means.

duluth_rider said:
Like you said, it is just a piece of plastic. In reality it means nothing.

Now maybe you're catching on. In reality it does mean nothing. The folks who wear them instill their own beleifs in it's meaning. Just like a crucifix or a diamond wedding ring (I'm sure your wife probably wears a ring made out of organically grown hemp twine so maybe you wouldn't understand that) or a Greenpeace pin.

TrekDedicated said:
You should go to a hospital and go tell some child that people only donating a dollar to help save them is useless. I really hope that child is wearing a LA braclet cause then you will be an ass hole. For all you know that braclet could be what is keeping that kid going...
From page 3

Duleth, are you going to?

meehs said:
Interesting! I got the wristbands that I have when I made a donation to the LAF. They came in a big, clear plastic bag without the cardboard "Nike" display card on it. I've never seen them packaged individually like that. I admit that if Nike is trying to profit form the LIVESTRONG campaign it's pretty lame! The bands themselves however have no Nike logo on them (at least the ones I have), they just say "LIVESTRONG".

Mine came in only the bag too - no card... given to me by a friend who bought a 10-pack. Probably the ones at the NIKE store have those cards, people who buy them or see them there probably do make the NIKE/Livestrong connection. The LBS has a big jar full of them in the same kind of bags - no cards.

I find NIKE's business plan offensive for other reasons, not for this.

TrekDedicated said:
I think a lot people will stop in the next few months (ie the people who don't ride or really know what it's about). Some of my friends don't even know what the band is really for/what it means.

It's really sad that it's become a 'fad' for SOME people to look cool. I know there are a lot of people, including me, that know what this band truly represents and that is all we can really ask for....so be it...

Since I just got mine, I know when I am climbing up hills, or forcing a killer sprint, I'll be able to do that extra pedal revolution(s) b/c I'm lucky to be alive and be able to ride a bike and that is what the band will do for me at least.

liveSTRONG.
thats my issue. How many r wearing it just as a fashion accessory. Its 4 a good cause & it's non-profit but everyone & thier brother wants one. I hear they're backordered on the net.People come into the shop, where i work & ask 4 a wristband & when i say we don't have them, 4 one reason or another; they turn @ & walk out.Probably hav'nt ridden a bike in years, if ever. It seems as if many r wearing them so they can b like thier friends & not be ostracized or laughed at by thier cliq. What do u think ?

g8000 said:
I think the wristbands are pretty tacky

That's fine but can you tell us why you think they're tacky? Is it a fashion concern or do you find the whole idea to be distasteful?

davidmc said:
thats my issue. How many r wearing it just as a fashion accessory. Its 4 a good cause & it's non-profit but everyone & thier brother wants one. I hear they're backordered on the net.People come into the shop, where i work & ask 4 a wristband & when i say we don't have them, 4 one reason or another; they turn @ & walk out.Probably hav'nt ridden a bike in years, if ever. It seems as if many r wearing them so they can b like thier friends & not be ostracized or laughed at by thier cliq. What do u think ?

I'm sure you're correct that a lot of people will wear them just because they're a current fad and they don't want to risk being different.

But I wonder; is it possible that you're hyperfocused on what the bands mean to others when perhaps you should be more focused on what it/they mean to you? Certainly a lot of non-cyclists are wearing them but they're really not intended to be about cycling. They're about people grouping together to help support research to combat cancer. I'm totally into the whole cancer/cycling/Armstrong aspect of them but for me that's just all the more reason to wear one. They will be fashion to some, fad to others, cancer research to many and links to cycling and/or Armstrong to others. What matters most to me is what the band means for me. I leave it up to others to decide why they choose to wear or not wear one.

OK this thread is geting kinda stupid! just calm the f@#k down every one! and go ride your bike! [cool of a little] thats what this whole yellow band thing is all about, if there was no such thing as cycling there wouldnt be any yellow bands! so go ride your bike! If it go's to cancer reserch then why be so up tight with the whole thing! if your a lance fan/cyclist "or not a lance fan, but support cycling" and dont have any thing against supporting cancer research then whats the freakin gosh damn big deal? Im going to order one for myself butt i probably wont buy any nike aperell. I just like to concentrate one one of the things i dearly love, cycling! I will wear it to school and people will probably ask what the hell it is. Then they will know im a cyclist and they may think im a dork because i dont like football or basket ball [wich is what most of those little shmucks at school think] then at least they will know who i am! whos with me? all cyclists untie and most importantly LIVE STRONG!

ryan_velo said:
OK this thread is geting kinda stupid! just calm the f@#k down every one! and go ride your bike! [cool of a little] thats what this whole yellow band thing is all about,
(...snip)

I'm going to assume you posted this before reading to the current end of the thread since the only one I see here who currently appears to be upset is you. Certainly there were some aggressive posts for and against the bands but you tend to find such strong feelings about minor things in all parts of life and it breathes life into the thread.

You are of course correct that the bands, aside from being primarily about cancer, are about cycling and cycling is what brings us all to this forum. People always seem to be more focused on their differences than what they have in common, myself included. I suppose that's something we can all work on but I don't see any harm in a little lively discussion even if it gets a bit heated at times.

:)

This thread needs some humor..
cuz you critics are taking this way out of hand!
Live strong! and bunnies rule!