Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Beastt, Aug 1, 2004.

1. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Crap, some animal rights activist is going to be all over your ass.

I see the headline now...

"Humans testing pancakes on innocent, cute, fuzzy bunnies. Butter burns..."

2. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I prefer Guinea Pigs and Waffles, but whatever floats your boat works for me. ;)

3. Puddin

Puddin New Member

I've been wearing mine since I got it at the LBS in June, for several reasons:

1) My mom is a cancer survivor. It's in her honor that I wear it. All 3 of my deceased grandparents died of cancer. 3 of my wife's 4 grandparents died of cancer. My uncle is a cancer survivor. Heck, I could go on forever with this list. I also run in the local Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer run. I started buying Yoplait yogurt when they had the pink lids & donated money to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I still buy Yoplait today because I learned to like it from that. Is Yoplait a bad company for indirectly making money off of a campaign to raise money & awareness for breast cancer?
    2) I'm a cyclist and big LA fan.
    3) The money goes to a great cause.

To the morons who can't separate the good of the cause from the ancillary benefits Nike may receive:

- You say people could just donate $1 to the ACS. Well, they could. But guess what, they don't. Whether these people are buying the Livestrong band because they want to support the LA Foundation (whose mission is to enhance the quality of life for those living with cancer), whether they're buying it because of the LA/cycling connection, or whether they're now buying them because it's the hottest fad/fashion trend around is irrelevant. The bottom line is that $8.8 million has been raised for the foundation. I don't care if people buy them with drug money. I don't care if Al Qaeda members buy them. The money is going to a good cause.
    - So what if Nike profits from a related clothing line. The bottom line is that the money from the bracelets goes to the LAF. That is a good thing.
    - When people ask me what it is, I respond that it's a bracelet sold for $1 and that the proceeds go to the LAF which works to enhance the quality of life for those living with cancer. I tell them the initial goal was to raise $5 million, and that so far they've raised $7 million with an add'l $1.8 million in backorders. If they don't already know, I tell them about LA, his battle with cancer, his comeback, and the 6 straight tours. I tell them I personally wear it 1) to show support for the LAF 2) in honor of my mom, a cancer survivor and 3) because I'm a cyclist & LA fan, so I can also show my support for Lance & the sport.

I find it quite funny that I accidentally wound up on the cutting edge of fashion over the last few weeks. I've read the articles about Bush, Kerry, and celebrities wearing them and how it's now turned into the lastest fashion craze. I've had people ask me where I got my "Lance bracelet" because they've called all over town & can't find them and they're on backorder on the website. I don't really care what their reason is for wanting one, I know the money is going to a good cause. I remember back in June when I read about them on wearyellow.com, I thought to myself that they wouldn't hit their $5 million goal. Little did I know that it would become the fashion trend of the summer! I've had 4 extras laying around the house since June, and just this week I gave them away to friends, co-workers, etc. after being bombarded with questions on where to get them.

BTW, I plan on wearing mine until it breaks. I never take it off. I wear it to bed, in the shower, when I ride, to work, etc. The only time I've taken it off was when I was stripping & staining an entertainment center & didn't want to get chemicals or stain on it.

4. Beastt

Beastt New Member

You do furniture refinishing in the nude?

Uhm... that's a joke. A little humor. Perhaps too little?

;)

5. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Is this in the "my bloody soapbox" forum? because if it is'nt, it should be after that rant. You r entitled to your own opinion but don't take it the next level & shove it down our throats. Its good to have a "lively" debate but not good to assume everyone else is, in your own words, "a moron".

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I said I was essentially done with this discussion but .Sir, do you drive the Belt Way? If so you have my sympathy and I am sure ,soon, my condolences to your family.In may be naive but that road is the Twilight Zone on wheels.

7. starship

starship New Member

Is it two late for a simple response?

I wear mine so when people ask I can mention support for cancer research.

And I'll wear it until they find a cure! (or it breaks).

And Yes, I wear it while riding! :)

8. planetclearance

planetclearance New Member

I definatly wear one for all that they stand for. I think they were a great idea and am ok with the people who have no idea what it stands for, whatever LAF still got a donation out of them :)

On a similar note, My business sells alot of overstock, closeout, and demo bike stuff as well as used pro stuff from many domestic pro teams. We are currently running a promotion on ebay where a part of the proceeds some of our auctions benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

We have some Time and Look frames with between $25 and $50 of each being donated, we also have about 200 brand new pairs of various models (flystorm, cyclestorm, cyce 2003, mtb storm) of Nalini cycking shoes both mountain and road (2 carbon models!) that $5 of each pair is being donated and about 400 pairs of New Bergamo cycling socks of which $1 of each is being donated. I know some of these $ amounts don't seem like much but it will definatly add up quickly, through just the current ebay items we are trying to raise about $2000 for the LAF.

I hope posting this here doesn't upset anyone, I am just trying to bring in customers and raise this money for LAF. All of these products are between 75% and 40% off so I figured I would also help some fellow cyclists get some nice gear while saving a few bucks and supporting a good cause. If anyone is interested in checking these items out our domain is temporarily forwarded to our ebay store until the full launch of our online store at the end of august. The address is http://www.bicyclechemistry.com. If anyone wants to purchase anything but not deal with the hassle of ebay they can email us directly @ [email protected].

thanks
    Travis

9. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Are there any bears in the smokies. Do i need to finish it. I have to side w/ duluth rider on this one.

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yes there are bears in the Smokies. Wasn't asking who you sided with.I was just trying to be humorous about the drivers on the beltway. The are just as bad here but not going 80 or 90 mph. It is a true experience to drive it.

11. davidmc

davidmc New Member

I respect your opinion on this matter, i just don't like what people r implying about people who choose not to wear "the band". Judging by the previous posts's, this thread could have been named-"Lets gang up on duluth_ rider"

12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I respect his opinion I just took exception to his generalizations that I perceived as a personal attacks on anyone that wore a "Live Strong" armband and their intellectual level.

13. davidmc

davidmc New Member

I agree. Generalizations r no good.

14. mike7382

mike7382 New Member

I want one very bad. my friend have them only i cant find them around.

15. meehs

meehs New Member

All due respect but Duluth_Rider (you know? the guy you've said you "side" with on this debate?) is the one who started the negative aspects of the discussion when he said that everyone who wears a "LIVESTRONG" wristband is an idiot. Hello?

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Exactly! I probably would not have even posted on this topic until I read I was a simpleton. I don't really care if anyone else wears one or not. However the cause and the motto I like.
    Take it one step further.
    "Live strong or die miserable"

17. meehs

meehs New Member

I agree jhuskey. I wouldn't have continued to post to this thread either but when someone decides to say that "everyone who wears one is a simpleton" (or whatever it was that duluth_rider said), I feel like I have to add my two-cents worth. I don't really care if someone wears the wristband or not either. And I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on someone based on whether they do or don't. That's just ridiculous!

18. Puddin

Puddin New Member

Shove it down your throat? I suggest you go back to the top of the thread & re-read the original post and all that follow. Its intent was to find out how many people wear them & why. The "morons" are those who decided that they have to show how "cool" they are by bashing the Livestrong band because it's now become trendy, and God knows you're cool if you denounce all things trendy. Duluth went on to call everyone who wears one a simpleton and took the entire thread off-topic. I didn't assume anyone was a moron. You can read the posts, decide if you think the LAF supports a good cause, and then determine if you're a moron on your own. You don't need me to do that for you.

19. davidmc

davidmc New Member

saying you don't want 2 wear "the band", for whatever reason, is not negative. Some of you act as if the person not wearing one has no moral justification for it. If I choose not to wear one, even if i have a dollar in my pocket, does that make me evil or a bad person ? No. Idiot may have been a little excessive albeit the convieniently small nike swoosh on some of the packaging.

20. meehs

meehs New Member

I've said right here in this thread several times that I don't care whether a person wears one or not (I think others have said the same thing). That's their own business. Duluth_rider is the only one (that I'm aware of) that went ahead and passed judgement on people based on whether they do or do not wear a wristband. You should try reading the posts in the thread.