Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

meehs said:
I've said right here in this thread several times that I don't care whether a person wears one or not (I think others have said the same thing). That's their own business. Duluth_rider is the only one (that I'm aware of) that went ahead and passed judgement on people based on whether they do or do not wear a wristband. You should try reading the posts in the thread.
I had read the previous posts. Did u not c that i commented that "idiot" might have been over the top ? Stop speed reading my replies & read them word 4 word. You have now convinced me that people who wear it r indeed tools for corporate advertising through thier ignorance (idiocy) of the buisiness link. There, r u happy ? People have the option of giving directly through cash donations to various cancer research entities or wear a shirt espousing thier support w/o having a corporate logo.

davidmc said:
I had read the previous posts. Did u not c that i commented that "idiot" might have been over the top ? Stop speed reading my replies & read them word 4 word. You have now convinced me that people who wear it r indeed tools for corporate advertising through thier ignorance (idiocy) of the buisiness link. There, r u happy ?

Haha! You said in your previous post (the one I was responding to) that some of the posters on the thread were acting as though there was no moral justification for not wearing a wristband. My point is that no one said that. In fact most of us said that it's up to the individual whether they wear one or not and also what wearing the wristband means to them. So I don't think you really were reading the posts to have made a statement like that. Yes, I did read the part where you said that "idiot" may have been excessive but it's beside the point in this context.

As far as the opinion you've formed that those of us who wear them are "tools for corporate advertising", you're perfectly entitled to it however misinformed it might be.

meehs said:
Haha! You said in your previous post (the one I was responding to) that some of the posters on the thread were acting as though there was no moral justification for not wearing a wristband. My point is that no one said that. In fact most of us said that it's up to the individual whether they wear one or not and also what wearing the wristband means to them. So I don't think you really were reading the posts to have made a statement like that. Yes, I did read the part where you said that "idiot" may have been excessive but it's beside the point in this context.

As far as the opinion you've formed that those of us who wear them are "tools for corporate advertising", you're perfectly entitled to it however misinformed it might be.
You make good points, I should'nt generalize but there have beena post or 2 saying, essentially, "just wear it" Its only a $1 & its 4 a good cause. I am biased in this matter(not biased against cancer) but i'm not an LA fan, not a roadie(although i ride a bike daily & choose it over a car frequently) & against corporate welfare in many of its forms. Does my argument move u at all !!!Even a scintilla in my direction !!! I realize there r many who r on a mission to obtain & wear these bands

davidmc said:
You make good points, I should'nt generalize but there have beena post or 2 saying, essentially, "just wear it" Its only a $1 & its 4 a good cause. I am biased in this matter(not biased against cancer) but i'm not an LA fan, not a roadie(although i ride a bike daily & choose it over a car frequently) & against corporate welfare in many of its forms. Does my argument move u at all !!!Even a scintilla in my direction !!! I realize there r many who r on a mission to obtain & wear these bands

Hey, I totally understand your not wanting to wear a yellow wristband if you're not an LA fan. If Bernard Hinault were selling t-shirts for a worthy cause, you wouldn't see me wearing one (I respect Hinault but I'm not a big fan). So, yes! That argument I can relate to. And actually, I can also understand people who say they don't want to wear them because they think they're a corporate advertisement (I admit it took a little persuading for me to agree with that one). The only probelm I have is when folks start bashing on people who have chosen to wear the things. That's all. To each their own. You know?

davidmc said:

You just ain't makin' no sense at all, man! The point is that the 8.8 million people who are gobbling up these bands probably WOULD NOT and DO NOT just donate money to cancer foundations. I don't care who wears them and who doesn't, for someone to say that all these people should just donate money to a cancer foundation is idiocy. They want the bands. The cancer donation has become secondary to most (those who want one because they're hip, not to show support for the LAF, LA, cycling, or a loved one who's battling/battled cancer), but the bottom line is that the money goes to the LAF, which is a good thing.

davidmc said:
this thread could have been named-"Lets gang up on duluth_ rider"
No..not to turn political why don't we name this thread let's gang up on kerry who sports the LIVESTRONG band but blew off the children on D. Imus' farm who are cancer patients....

Puddin said:
You just ain't makin' no sense at all, man! The point is that the 8.8 million people who are gobbling up these bands probably WOULD NOT and DO NOT just donate money to cancer foundations. I don't care who wears them and who doesn't, for someone to say that all these people should just donate money to a cancer foundation is idiocy. They want the bands. The cancer donation has become secondary to most (those who want one because they're hip, not to show support for the LAF, LA, cycling, or a loved one who's battling/battled cancer), but the bottom line is that the money goes to the LAF, which is a good thing.
I hate the term"bottom line"so you're essentially saying the ends justify the means. I also cater 2 that method in certain circumstances. Incidentally, the fact that nearly every teen & preteen in the country wants to spend thier(parents) $ on these as opposed 2 a phish concert or meth overjoys me !!!I never denied that it was'nt 4 a good cause either. The cancer of the variety that afflicts men has been virtually ignored while there have been @ 2 events/week for the past decade devoted to breastcancer. The only solace i have is this might have raised awareness of mens health issues ,although i doubt it , if you believe the media's portrayal of a vast # of americans who seem to be sedate, overweight & of dubious intelligence judging by the voting turnout & results.Incidentally, I'm a vet. so it would be a waste of time 2 call me un-american. It does'nt mean i'm brilliant, just that i've served.

zapper said:
No..not to turn political why don't we name this thread let's gang up on kerry who sports the LIVESTRONG band but blew off the children on D. Imus' farm who are cancer patients....

And the fact that he didn't stop and say hi to them has harmed them in what way? If that's the best you can do, then perhaps your political tent is pitched in the wrong camp.

Beastt said:
And the fact that he didn't stop and say hi to them has harmed them in what way? If that's the best you can do, then perhaps your political tent is pitched in the wrong camp.
Is Bush sporting one too ? Does anybody know ? If he is, it just seems like another litmus test, just like saying so help me god after the swearing in ceremony & having to act as if you believe it. No right wing attacks on my veracity or sincerity please, thanks.

davidmc said:
Is Bush sporting one too ? Does anybody know ? If he is, it just seems like another litmus test, just like saying so help me god after the swearing in ceremony & having to act as if you believe it. No right wing attacks on my veracity or sincerity please, thanks.

Yeah, I've heard that Bush is wearing one. He's a fellow Texan you know and supposedly he called LA while he was on the GC podium at the TdF! He and Herman Munster are both wearing them. :D

Beastt said:
Just seems hypocritical to me. I wear mine because my family has a long history of cancer. Additonally, my father-inlaw whom I dearly loved died of a cancerous brain tumor. Currently, my wifes boss's wife is dying of a cancerous brain tumor. So, if you are wearing a wristband to show support for a cause, seems pretty hypocritical to not make the time for a few dying children.. If you have a problem with that, then take it to the "soapbox" and I'll meet you there!

zapper said:
Just seems hypocritical to me. I wear mine because my family has a long history of cancer. Additonally, my father-inlaw whom I dearly loved died of a cancerous brain tumor. Currently, my wifes boss's wife is dying of a cancerous brain tumor. So, if you are wearing a wristband to show support for a cause, seems pretty hypocritical to not make the time for a few dying children.. If you have a problem with that, then take it to the "soapbox" and I'll meet you there!
Isn't it also hypocritical that you attempted to bait people into a political debate with a post that started with "No..not to turn political . . ."?

I don't actually wear mine as such, its on the seat post of my bike, sort of wrapped around twice so that the wording is visible from behind. Its not as common over here I think and several mates have asked what its for. I have 9 left in a packet and when this one breaks down because of sunlight I'll replace it, that should give me enough for a few years at least.

Regards

Steve D

sdorrity said:
I don't actually wear mine as such, its on the seat post of my bike, sort of wrapped around twice so that the wording is visible from behind. Its not as common over here I think and several mates have asked what its for. I have 9 left in a packet and when this one breaks down because of sunlight I'll replace it, that should give me enough for a few years at least.

Regards

Steve D
sdorrity, would you be interested in sending me 2 via mail? please?
its not much of a "thing" in your area, hell, i can't even get them here in south africa!
plz!!??

Shreklookalike said:
Isn't it also hypocritical that you attempted to bait people into a political debate with a post that started with "No..not to turn political . . ."?
That was not my intent. I was merely pointing out an issue relating to the thread topic that happened to be related to politics. I do not want to destroy this thread with a left/right war. However, I thought that it was interesting...thats all pal. However, I'll say to you what I said Beasty boy... bring it over to the soap box and leave this thread alone. I Appologize if I offended anyone with any type of political reference here. But once again, it was related to the topic.

It's amazing how mainstream they are now. I chuckled when I read this month's Rolling Stone feature about Lindsey Lohan and the interviewer was describing how she was dressed and said she wore, "...a bright yellow bracelet that says LIVE STRONG and expensive-looking sandals decorated with..." but clearly the author had no idea what the bracelet meant.

duluth_rider said:
Sometimes I go out in the real world and when I see someone wearing that bracelet I know that I am dealing with a total simpleton. A typical pop-culture moron that cannot think for themselves.

Sorry if that sounds like someone whose teeth you brush.
??? Dude, you suck!

I wear one. I wear it all the time. Yeah, it's yellow, and it's made of rubber. I don't care what it looks like. I don't care if it looks professional or not. I DO care about what it means. Maybe I'm a bit behind on this but I can see who the simpleton is here. I'm hardly pop-culture, and I'm nowhere near a moron. I bought it before it was the cool thing to do. And to answer the question of when I'll take it off, I'll take it off when it wears out. And I'll put on another in it's place. My mom died of cancer. It was a terrible thing to see. If you haven't been through seeing a loved one taken by cancer, you need to keep your face shut.

I ride in an event to support the National MS Society. I "beg" everyone I know for a donation to help. I ask people I've just met for a donation. Does that also make me a pop-culture moron? If supporting a cause you believe in is something you can't or won't do, don't insult the rest of us who care enough to do what you won't.

It's kinda sad that 9 people wouldn't wear it if it were given to them... do they just hate Armstrong so much that they won't even support a foundation for a disease that kills millions?...

JTEK said:
It's kinda sad that 9 people wouldn't wear it if it were given to them... do they just hate Armstrong so much that they won't even support a foundation for a disease that kills millions?...

Some people won't even wear a seat belt that is provided (cost included at least) if it would save just one life,their own. Do they hate themselves and their loved ones that much? I am lost in the quandry!!! What does that have to do with the little band? Just an observation! Live strong and kick A**!!!! ,while you can.

jhuskey said:
Some people won't even wear a seat belt that is provided (cost included at least) if it would save just one life,their own. Do they hate themselves and their loved ones that much? I am lost in the quandry!!! What does that have to do with the little band? Just an observation! Live strong and kick A**!!!! ,while you can.
Won't wear one, don't care one way or the other about armstrong.You people have gone overboard on this issue. Accept it !!!