Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Beastt said:
It's an option at the time the poll/thread is created. I simply felt if people wanted to voice an opinion, they shouldn't have a problem with backing their voice. So I chose to make it visible.

:)

I'm missing something...where does it show that?

I wear my band. Fellow cyclist from Texas was in our community on vacation. He joined our weekly club ride. After the ride he handed each of us a band. I said what's this for. After he told me I have been wearing it. I then saw the popularity of it. Saw athletes in the Olympics wearing them. Some wearing on each wrist. My wife wishes she had one too. Can't fine them now.

I lost my Grandfather to cancer, but I would never wear a wrist band or ribbon, to me they say "I care more then you".

Lance who?

BikerTrash1130 said:
I lost my Grandfather to cancer, but I would never wear a wrist band or ribbon, to me they say "I care more then you".

Lance who?

To each their own. As you say, that's what they say to you. I can only truly speak for myself when I say that all it says is that I care. It's not a comparison. If I were to guess how others feel about it, I would assume that most feel the same way. I would also guess that a big part of the reason they've been so successful is that they're inexpensive and they give you a little something to show for your money.

"then you"?

my physics teacher wears one. i haven't asked her if she is a cyclist yet, i just started class today.

Dudee said:
TrekDedicated, Great statement, thats exactly how I feel, I got my dad and I one each before they became all "cool" and stuff for people that don't even care for the sport or the cause.

I'm just wondering do you guys wear it when you cycle too? I don't because I don't want it to be all nasty and stuff when I'm not on a bike, just wondering.

It pretty easy to clean.
I wore mine to the opera.

Got my local bike shop to order a whole bunch and baught one there, only R10.Shweet.:)

duluth_rider said:
I never meant to imply that the LAF is a money-making ploy. I believe in the sincerity of their mission. I just don't believe in the sincerity of the "livestrong" campaign. Nike is set to make mountains of money off of what they said was a donation to help fight cancer. I don't know if LA himself is getting a piece of that mountain, but I think it is safe to assume he is. Personally, I find that insulting.

Is 'livestrong" a cancer research money raising vehicle or a Nike clothing line?

I'm intimately familiar with the LAF/Nike agreement and Nike isn't making a dime. They provided a $1M initial gift, absorbed the cost of the marketing for the campaign, and gave the LAF the first 5 million bands for free to sell on: http://store.laf.org. The LAF is the only entity benefitting from the popularity of these bands (aside from a few greedy #$% on ebay). Neither Nike nor Lance are profiting from their sale. To some this may be a fashion trend, but for many of the 10 million cancer survivors in the US alone, it is a symbol of hope, support, and recognition of their battle.

caribbeandiver said:
I'm intimately familiar with the LAF/Nike agreement and Nike isn't making a dime. They provided a $1M initial gift, absorbed the cost of the marketing for the campaign, and gave the LAF the first 5 million bands for free to sell on: http://store.laf.org. The LAF is the only entity benefitting from the popularity of these bands (aside from a few greedy #$% on ebay). Neither Nike nor Lance are profiting from their sale. To some this may be a fashion trend, but for many of the 10 million cancer survivors in the US alone, it is a symbol of hope, support, and recognition of their battle.

Thank you for that information, caribbeandiver. The need for such clarification has existed for some time now. It's good to hear that Nike is willing to front the money to kick off such a program. I'm guessing that the publicity they receive will help them recooperate their investment but since few here seemed to be as aware of the arrangement as you are, it would seem that they're doing little to pursue that end.

I wore mine every day until it broke yesterday. I kinda expected it to happen at some point. Got mine originally at the US Pro in Philly back in June. Wore it to the Tour and gave it to a German fan who was nice enough to let me have a Champion hat we grabbed simultaneously when the publicity caravan went by outside of Villard de Lans. I bought five more from a guy selling them in Bourg d'Oisan the day of the Alpe d'Huez TT. I kept two and gave the rest out to other fans I met during the remainder of the Tour.

I mainly wore mine in memory of my grandmother who died of cancer three years ago, a friend who is currently going through chemo (I gave him one of the ones I had leftover), and my wife's uncle who was recently diagnosed with colon cancer.

A lot of folks would ask me what the band was for and it was neat to tell them why I was wearing it. Plus it was an instant bonding symbol with folks you bumped into who were also wearing one.

I'm seeing alot of cyclists talking about how this LAF wristbands are for the sport.....you should be a cyclist or a fan....I don't really care for the sport myself....my mom rides and I'm proud of her acomplishmints....as for LIVESTRONG, why do I have to be in your circle to belive in that theroy....I'm a Raver, I go to outdoor dance gatherings and I wear a wristband because it is a positive thing in a world full of bad JuJu...Why cant you just leave it at that? Why does it have to be a bike thing or a cancer thing....I know that the proceeds go to cancer reserch, and Lance Armstrong rides a bike....BIG DEAL, people act like its some kind of clan.....we should support every human being to live strong.....keep their head up.....and move forward in life.....regardless of where and how they got or did not get their little yellow bracelet. Get one on E-bay or at sport chalet of find it in the gutter...I dont care, if you wear it, let it be a reminder to better yourself,and that they're people who have harder roads ahead
Live in Love,
JimmyC

Mine was supposed to be shipped with my 12-hour '03 TdF DVD set, but alas, it was backordered at the time. I hope to get mine soon now that they're starting to get back in circulation...

Jimmy Chaotic said:
I'm seeing alot of cyclists talking about how this LAF wristbands are for the sport.....you should be a cyclist or a fan....I don't really care for the sport myself....my mom rides and I'm proud of her acomplishmints....as for LIVESTRONG, why do I have to be in your circle to belive in that theroy....I'm a Raver, I go to outdoor dance gatherings and I wear a wristband because it is a positive thing in a world full of bad JuJu...Why cant you just leave it at that? Why does it have to be a bike thing or a cancer thing....I know that the proceeds go to cancer reserch, and Lance Armstrong rides a bike....BIG DEAL, people act like its some kind of clan.....we should support every human being to live strong.....keep their head up.....and move forward in life.....regardless of where and how they got or did not get their little yellow bracelet. Get one on E-bay or at sport chalet of find it in the gutter...I dont care, if you wear it, let it be a reminder to better yourself,and that they're people who have harder roads ahead
Live in Love,
JimmyC
Jimmy,

I agree with you up to the point where you mention e-bay. Although I do use e-bay for certain things, apparently many of the e-bay Livestrong bands are counterfeits, which means that purchasing it enriches a crook and does nothing for cancer research.

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.

My Wife is a Cancer survivor, we're also huge Lance Fans, we wear ours all the time...we ordered 12 of them to support the cause and still have 10 of them in a Box...they came with 12 Livestrong Postcards...

:)

Dudee said:
TrekDedicated, Great statement, thats exactly how I feel, I got my dad and I one each before they became all "cool" and stuff for people that don't even care for the sport or the cause.

I'm just wondering do you guys wear it when you cycle too? I don't because I don't want it to be all nasty and stuff when I'm not on a bike, just wondering.

I donated a buck to the organization. You'll never see me wearing one of those bracelets though. I support the research. Of course. But the bracelets are so amazingly trendy.

Dudee said:

I eventually got mine in Paris (don't mean to sound smug) at the TDF, I liked the fact that the money stays in the country where you buy the band. I think it's a good idea. I've had a few relations who died of cancer.