Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Yo, amigos - I only had time to skim some of the comments on the LiveSTRONG bands, but I just wanted to add this: yes, they're kind of trendy/cool these days, and it seems like everyone has 'em, but my wife and I got them at the very start. We're both cancer survivors, my brother died from cancer, and now my mother has it. Since we found out my mother has it, I've been wearing mine every day.

I bought one, because I'm all for the charity, but I do not wear it, because I consider Nike to be a completely immoral company. I won't do any free advertising or PR for them until they start selling rubber wrist bands to benefit their Malaysian slave labor work force. This is a good charity, but I think Nike has ulterior motives for riding this wave of generosity.

I tried to get my hands on one when I was in the US for Thanksgiving last year and they were pretty much impossible to come by at that time. A friend sent me a "Count Me Blue" bracelet shortly after that trip (which is actually a lot more useful for an American living overseas) and I wear it regularly.

I wear it everyday 24/7. I think it's just out of laziness. It's weird when you smoke and have a Livestrong band on your wrist. I guess the idea is to support the cancer foundation while i still have the chance :D.

Cycling and smoking? They're both highly addictive.

haha yeah I have one. I bought it for the cause but now it's all fashionable, I still wear it. I guess there is something capitalist and conformist about having cheap yellow bands that all say the same thing on your wrists. 'Course now people have them all over, "Give Blood" "Breast Cancer" my school even made one saying the school name on it, "Stuyvesant High School" yadayada. It's like they are some sort of merit badge. eh whatever... it's people like me who will be blamed in the history books for some catastrophic thing happening because I chose not to stand up for my rights or something.

I have mine wrapped around the light on my handlebars to remind me to push a little harder and it gives me a little inspiration to strive for more.

Hey GDIZA, If you are looking for the bands they are all over ebay. you can get them for a buck. its all in what you want to spend on them

Good luck
wear it proud!!!:D

I wear one, but it has nothing to do with Lance or being fashionable. I wear the band for all the family members & friends of mine who have been hit with cancer.

I actually get annoyed when I see people with them on who obviously have no idea what the band signifies. And don't get me started on the different color bands for every charity under the sun. It's almost as aggravating as those damn ribbon magnets on the back of cars (here in the US).

KrisPistoferson said:
I bought one, because I'm all for the charity, but I do not wear it, because I consider Nike to be a completely immoral company. I won't do any free advertising or PR for them until they start selling rubber wrist bands to benefit their Malaysian slave labor work force. This is a good charity, but I think Nike has ulterior motives for riding this wave of generosity.

I don't understand. You bought one, a product made by Nike, but won't wear it? I'd venture a guess that 99.9% of people who see the yellow wristbands ever associate them with Nike.

BanditBoyDavid said:
Ever since I got my yellow band I see them every where. I don't know if I've just started noticing or if they're becoming more popular. I hope people aren't just using them as a fashion statement. I hope they know why they were it. I know I do.
many people don't wear them because they want to help any more. they wear them because everyone else does, and they think it makes them "cool."

and there are also about a thousand different designs that copied it, with cheesy logos in annoyingly bright colors.

rant over.

poop_007 said:
many people don't wear them because they want to help any more. they wear them because everyone else does, and they think it makes them "cool."

and there are also about a thousand different designs that copied it, with cheesy logos in annoyingly bright colors.

rant over.
I couldnt agree more. It is very annoying to see people who wear them and have no idea what i really means. I lost a good friend of mine to cancer at the beginning of last year. Horrible to see him suffer.
I work in the Emergency Medical field and some of the nasty drunks and people who we take to the ER have them on and i ask them if they know what they are wearing that band for, and the common answer is ....... i dont know!!!
And to the other wrist bands that are out there , find something else to represent your cause!!

Venting! sorry!!

I got mine off Ebay as it was the only place I could find one!
While on holiday this year my wife took a picture of mine and my little boys hand, think it is excellent!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/p5484b35a5e03c802b6102965ab3a67e6/f3929553.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/p144da000e5eb792e1cb2778137a1089c/f392954a.jpg

url]

And after some playing with.
url]

Dave

poop_007 said:

rant over.
You guys need to realize that the LIVEstrong bands becoming "cool" is the WHOLE POINT! They were supposed to become cool.....the "hip" thing to do. There is a reason the bands are making so much money...that is because ignorant people think it is the cool thing to do.

If you guys really had family that you care about with cancer you should be happy it has caught on...even to ignorant people that do not know what LAF is.

FastFly said:
You guys need to realize that the LIVEstrong bands becoming "cool" is the WHOLE POINT! They were supposed to become cool.....the "hip" thing to do. There is a reason the bands are making so much money...that is because ignorant people think it is the cool thing to do.

If you guys really had family that you care about with cancer you should be happy it has caught on...even to ignorant people that do not know what LAF is.

I can't agree more. Who cares if people wear them just for the hell of it or for the symbol it stands for? The point is that it's generating money to help those who are in dire need of support. So whether one knows what it stands for or not, let them wear it.

consider this..
What if a person with cancer walks by someone obliviously wearing a LIVEstrong band, maybe that clueless person can make someone smile. LIVEstrong band...$1.00, making someone smile....priceless, for everyone else nagging of other peoples stupidity....LIVEstrong and just shut it.

Life is short, ride a little longer.

i'm afraid i omly wear the orange multiple sclerosis band. my wife had it for many years until she died in 1992

I have been wearing one pretty much since they came out, and I will continue to wear one until I can't get find them anymore.

New to forum been pretty much a lurker , but here is a question to all is your band fake or real. I've had one for about a year went back to the bike store next day sold out. Two month ago went to the Nike store brought five of them they don't look the same, color is different, lettering is different, say's made in Taiwan, My original is made in China, call the Armstrong Foundation ask them where are the bands made they say China there are none made in Taiwan. Went back to the first store recently and they had new ones bought one to see color is like my first,but lettering is slightly different,the word LIVE is not as BOLD made in China.So is Nike selling their own version or fake. Looking for responses. Thanks

karlo48 said:
New to forum been pretty much a lurker , but here is a question to all is your band fake or real. I've had one for about a year went back to the bike store next day sold out. Two month ago went to the Nike store brought five of them they don't look the same, color is different, lettering is different, say's made in Taiwan, My original is made in China, call the Armstrong Foundation ask them where are the bands made they say China there are none made in Taiwan. Went back to the first store recently and they had new ones bought one to see color is like my first,but lettering is slightly different,the word LIVE is not as BOLD made in China.So is Nike selling their own version or fake. Looking for responses. Thanks
Both China and Taiwan bands are real. If you buy from LAF.com you wills **** getting taiwan bands. Must have gotten a cheaper dealer from a supplier in Taiwan.

I have three bands. 2 Adults, a china and Taiwan, and a child, china.