Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

Pharmr said:
I'm am both a husband and a father...but you know now I think all of you are correct...everyone should get married, have kids, and then when things aren't just peaches and cream, they should get divorced...how could I have been so wrong?...I apologize for my opinion...I think broken families are a good thing.

It's wonderful that you can boil things down to such black and white terms. You know, everything in life must be as simple, obvious, and uncomplicated as you claim.

You obviously have no clue as to how bad marriages can deteriorate and how damaging that can be for kids. If you think every marriage is the Pollyanna existence that you lead, you're sorely mistaken. Spend some time observing the real world, and you might actually learn something. If marriage were such a simplistic thing, then there'd be no need for police to respond to couples' homes, for children's services to get involved to protect the welfare of children, for psychologists to spend time trying to help a grown up come to terms with the f*cked up existence his or her childhood was with his or her mom and dad in the house....the list goes on and on. People in health care see the fruits of your sort of thinking every week. Obviously you've not seen it, and you have no clue just how bad it can get.

So, are you one of those "pharmacists" that refuses to dispense the morning after pill?

e0richt said:
I don't have one, dont want one... I think its a bit silly that someone would buy this band because lance armstrong is involved. I have contributed to different charities and will in the future without needing lance to make it cool...
+1

Especially with anything involving Armstrong. The guy is a proved doper and a fraud. Six positves for EPO in retro-tested urine samples. Case closed.

Even apart from Armstrong misleading people with cancer, I think wearing symbols like the yellow band is stupid. People cannot just give to a charity, they have to announce to everyone what a good person they think they are, using some bogus concept of "awareness" to justify their self promotion. What the hell is "awareness" anyway; it sounds like some New Age clap trap that you bring about by sitting in a circle and sending out positive waves.

The situation is now ridiculous. There are twenty different colors of wrist bands and every other jerkoff on the road has a ribbon of some sort on the back of his vehicle. Everyone is fighting to prove what a saint they are. The only decent one I have seen was a ribbon that said, "I'm supporting the Chinese who made this ribbon."

Pharmr said:
if you think that the proper use of "jacka$$", and "hell" each one time constitutes a "curse-filled response"...then you should weep for yourself....bottom line is you're the one that is ignoring what has been said in this discussion...and you're the one that continues to be insulting....typical.
Don't give it a second thought. Alienater is a blue ribbon asshole and he cannot stand it that other people have different opinions. He's proved it time and time again on many different sites.

Bro Deal said:
Even apart from Armstrong misleading people with cancer, I think wearing symbols like the yellow band is stupid. People cannot just give to a charity, they have to announce to everyone what a good person they think they are, using some bogus concept of "awareness" to justify their self promotion. What the hell is "awareness" anyway..."

Bro, please- spewing all this rage towards Alienator has gotten you talking **** about something you obviously don't know anything about. God forbid- if you had this illness- honestly tell me you wouldn't want Armstrong fighting for you.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/01/10/armstrong.guestcommentary/index.html

alienator said:
It's wonderful that you can boil things down to such black and white terms. You know, everything in life must be as simple, obvious, and uncomplicated as you claim.

You obviously have no clue as to how bad marriages can deteriorate and how damaging that can be for kids. If you think every marriage is the Pollyanna existence that you lead, you're sorely mistaken. Spend some time observing the real world, and you might actually learn something. If marriage were such a simplistic thing, then there'd be no need for police to respond to couples' homes, for children's services to get involved to protect the welfare of children, for psychologists to spend time trying to help a grown up come to terms with the f*cked up existence his or her childhood was with his or her mom and dad in the house....the list goes on and on. People in health care see the fruits of your sort of thinking every week. Obviously you've not seen it, and you have no clue just how bad it can get.

So, are you one of those "pharmacists" that refuses to dispense the morning after pill?
first off, I had trouble getting through your limp curse filled response...what did you say about that and a weak mind??...and isn't it a bit ironic that you accuse me of judging and assuming things about Lance and then spew nasty things at me for doing so, and then you turn around and do it yourself in reference to me??...dude, you've got some issues....and no, I'm not a Pharmacist.

Pharmr said:
first off, I had trouble getting through your limp curse filled response...what did you say about that and a weak mind??...and isn't it a bit ironic that you accuse me of judging and assuming things about Lance and then spew nasty things at me for doing so, and then you turn around and do it yourself in reference to me??...dude, you've got some issues....and no, I'm not a Pharmacist.

I assumed you were 'cuz your profile said "pharma". So maybe you're farmer or something. Who cares?

The fact that you know so little about family life outside of your own is plainly clear.

Bro Deal said:
Don't give it a second thought. Alienater is a blue ribbon asshole and he cannot stand it that other people have different opinions. He's proved it time and time again on many different sites.

A few other sites? Really? Proof, please.

As for your thoughts. As a result of increased awareness, cancer deaths--for the last year tabulated--went down 8 times the rate they decreased the year before. For the record, those two years of decrease, in the US, are the first years since records have been kept that cancer deaths have decreased. If you don't think awareness is an issue, then you only need talk to all the familys of people who out of ignorance or lack of awareness never got treatment for the testicular, breast, coli-rectal, or whatever cancer.

Fashion statement? Maybe for some, but I don't care. The more people that by them, the more moeny that goes to cancer research. An effort to look cool? Wow. What an effete, weak claim. Sure, there is a minority of people who might wear them for that reason, but so what? That's no different than the reason that you do the things that you do. There are, however, a large number of us that wear them out of rememberance of friends and family who have had cancer, who've died from cancer, or who are struggling with and fighting cancer. That you can't see that speaks volumes about you. I don't care why someone wears a LiveStrong band anymore than I care why someone rides a bicycle. I only care that research gets funded.

As for the LAF, here is Charity Navigator's analysis and rating of LAF. As a charitable organization, LAF ranks very highly.

Lance Armstrong is smart and capable, and he's made the most of those qualities in the form of LAF. In the LAF, it's apparent that Armstrong is doing something to try and leave the world a better place before he dies. That's something everyone should strive for.

As for your doping insinuations. Yawn. You know nothing and have no facts. You bleat just like everyone else who has some personal interest in hating the man. Me? I don't care. I know that I don't have the inside scoop on his cycling life, so I choose to see things objectively and say that I don't know if he doped or not...because I don't. I do know that a book or two is not proof of any facts. I know that a newspaper article or two is not proof of any facts. Suspicion does not a fact make. Neither do your bleatings. It's baseless whining, such as yours, that makes the current struggle to find a solution to doping in sport so difficult to find. You're a witch hunter. You exercise zero objectivity.....much like the majority of your posts.

So, where is all of this "proof" that you have? What is it, exactly, that you know about professional cycling that no one else knows? What is it, exactly, that you know about cancer that no one else knows? What exactly is it that you bring, of benefit, to the table? I suspect it's as little as your skills of perception are small. That those are small is evident from what you've apparently "perceived" about me in internet forums. Yeah, as if you actually know me. What enlightment do have that you can share with anyone? Apparently it must be very great, because you seem to just know it all re: LAF, Armstrong, me, cycling, and people in general.

Wow. You got skillz.

Pharmr said:

I see you were unable to respond to the questioning of just how you know so much about family dynamics. I guess that shows that you have no knowledge, and that in fact, you were just spewing some dogma that some talking head spoon fed you.

You really should give independent thought a try.

Pharmr said:
I'm am both a husband and a father...but you know now I think all of you are correct...everyone should get married, have kids, and then when things aren't just peaches and cream, they should get divorced...how could I have been so wrong?...I apologize for my opinion...I think broken families are a good thing.

You should make a pink wrist band for good husbands and fathers. I'd buy one.

:eek:

alienator said:
I see you were unable to respond to the questioning of just how you know so much about family dynamics. I guess that shows that you have no knowledge, and that in fact, you were just spewing some dogma that some talking head spoon fed you.

You really should give independent thought a try.
you seem to have me mistaken for someone who has to justify/explain themself and their opinions to you...I'm not that person...you ramble on about this and that and verbally attack others like a lame high school bully...we're all impressed with how tough you are on your keyboard, really we are....you are such an independent thinker and so wise in the ways of the world....just keep telling yourself that, after awhile you might believe it...if only we all thought like you....actually, your pretty funny when I think about it.

Pharmr said:

Oh, yes! And we all know that all divorces happen because everything isn't peaches and cream! It's never because two individuals have grown so far apart that they can no longer maintain a healthy relationship no matter how hard they work at it. And yes, it's much better and healthier for the small children to stay stuck in the middle of a destructive relationship. Of course! How could I have been so wrong? I'm sure that if every man were as perfect as you and worked as hard as you do, that their marriage would remain as strong and wonderful as yours does. I guess you're the one that's so "wise in the ways of the world" as you so eloquently put it. You're correct. Every man that gets a divorce is a terrible father! Silly me! :rolleyes:

jhuskey said:
Amazing that this old thread can still envoke such hostility.

I agree. I wish I hadn't read it. But when someone states that it is their opinion that if a man gets a divorce, that he is therefore a bad father (which is actually the back-ass-wards opinion that someone, somehow arrived at), I feel I have no choice but to say my piece. I've never been divorced. But I have a very close friend who has. His marriage just disinigrated and ultimately ended in divorce. He and his wife are still on amicable terms. He is a great father. Probably a better father than I am. His ex-wife is always saying what a wonderful father he is. I've read where Armstrong's ex-wife has talked about what a wonderful father Armstrong is. But we're supposed to sit here while someone gets on their high horse and spews out the verbal vomit that all men who get divorced are bad fathers? I don't think so! Sorry. I'll take the words of the childrens' mothers over some jack-off on the forum.

Oh and I really couldn't care less whether or not someone wants to wear a yellow, plastic wristband. I will point out however that the things have raised a remarkable amount of money for cancer research! :eek:

meehs said:
I agree. I wish I hadn't read it. But when someone states that it is their opinion that if a man gets a divorce, that he is therefore a bad father (which is actually the back-ass-wards opinion that someone, somehow arrived at), I feel I have no choice but to say my piece. I've never been divorced. But I have a very close friend who has. His marriage just disinigrated and ultimtely ended in divorce. He and his wife are still on amicable terms. He is a great father. Probably a better father than I am! His ex-wife is always saying what a wonderful fatehr he is. I've read where Armstrong's ex-wife has talked about what a wonderful father Armstrong is. But we're supposed to sit here while someone gets on their high horse and spews out the verbal vomit that all men who get divorced are bad fathers? I don't think so! Sorry. I'll take the words of the childrens' mothers over some jack-off on the forum.

Oh and I really couldn't care less whether or not someone wants to wear a yellow, plastic wristband. I will point out however that the things have raised a remarkable amount of money for cancer research! :eek:

I agree on the good that has been done for the cancer cause.
I was divorced in 1979 and had little say in the event. After months of problems she announced she was getting a divorce. It was a lot more complicated than that but the result was the same.
I had children and struggled with the separation from them.
I know my situation but am not qualified to judge someone else's personal life.
I have remarried and have been happy for over 16 years and I hope everyone can find what I have.
It just took me a little longer and 2 tries.

jhuskey said:
I agree on the good that has been done for the cancer cause.
I was divorced in 1979 and had little say in the event. After months of problems she announced she was getting a divorce. It was a lot more complicated than that but the result was the same.
I had children and struggled with the separation from them.
I know my situation but am not qualified to judge someone else's personal life.
I have remarried and have been happy for over 16 years and I hope everyone can find what I have.
It just took me a little longer and 2 tries.

Sometimes it just takes more than one try. Congrats on being happy this go 'round. I'll try to lighten-up now.

meehs said:
I agree. I wish I hadn't read it. But when someone states that it is their opinion that if a man gets a divorce, that he is therefore a bad father (which is actually the back-ass-wards opinion that someone, somehow arrived at), I feel I have no choice but to say my piece. I've never been divorced. But I have a very close friend who has. His marriage just disinigrated and ultimately ended in divorce. He and his wife are still on amicable terms. He is a great father. Probably a better father than I am. His ex-wife is always saying what a wonderful father he is. I've read where Armstrong's ex-wife has talked about what a wonderful father Armstrong is. But we're supposed to sit here while someone gets on their high horse and spews out the verbal vomit that all men who get divorced are bad fathers? I don't think so! Sorry. I'll take the words of the childrens' mothers over some jack-off on the forum.

this is just getting way out of hand....meehs, I respect your opinion...have a good day.

Pharmr said:
this is just getting way out of hand....meehs, I respect your opinion...have a good day.

I agree that it's getting a bit out of hand. I apologize for getting so wound-up Pharmr. It's nothing personal! You're certainly entitled to your opinion. See ya 'round the forum! :)

meehs said:
I agree that it's getting a bit out of hand. I apologize for getting so wound-up Pharmr. It's nothing personal! You're certainly entitled to your opinion. See ya 'round the forum! :)
no apology needed...this is obviously a topic that some of us have strong opinions on...but I think I let it get to me in a way I shouldn't have...I re-read some of my posts, and while I am strongly against divorce, and to me it just seems that our society has let it become an easy way out...I understand that in some cases it is a neccessary option....I wish I had kept my opinion to myself at this point...but again, I do respect your opinion as well.

meehs said:
Sometimes it just takes more than one try. Congrats on being happy this go 'round. I'll try to lighten-up now.

Thanks! She rides a Cannondale and is not a bad cyclist although her climbing skills are still somewhat lacking.
She also enjoys football,I think she is a keeper.