Weather be damned, I _CAN_ ride!

Rick Onanian

Guest
I thought all you icky-weather riders were nuts.

I was wrong!

I rode today. Many of you will call this mild, not unpleasant weather. This was pushing it for me;
the worst I've ever ridden before was warm, light rain.

I must say: It was GREAT!

43 degrees f. Snow and slush everywhere. Road covered in deep salt-water puddles and sections of
slush. I've been itching to ride, and *****ing about the weather.

the ride, and how much I now like the bike. Weather be damned! Terribly beat beater be damned! Wet
ankles be damned! I can ride, damn it!

I may even do it again in worse weather than this.

:The ride: Probably 10 miles. Probably an hour. I didn't keep track. I don't know how fast I went,
and I didn't care. I was riding, numbers and weather be damned! Woohoo!

I saw one person with a snowblower attachment on his lawn tractor throwing the slush off his
driveway. I saw a few shoveling.

On the way home, a guy with a snowplow blew past me. Other drivers gave me more room and less speed.

:The clothes: Long johns. Bike shorts. Noisy, water-resistant pants with yellow reflective ankle
things to keep the baggy pants from getting in the chainrings. Two layers thick of wicking shirts.
Noisy, water-resistant jacket. Thin, lightly insulated winter gloves with that same noisy, water-
resistant material outside (what is that stuff, anyway?). Thin fleecey balaclava, bought Thursday;
great even in the wind, and sufficient for probably another 5 or 10 degrees down. My mountain biking
SPD boots.

Okay, I just checked that material: The jacket is nylon. The pants are polyester. How do they make
it crunchy and noisy and hard and nearly abrasive, and importantly, water-resistant? Different weave
than the normal soft, quiet versions?

Attention Rhode Islanders and anybody with a The Sports Authority store around: Balaclavas on sale
cheap at The Sports Authority. $7 for the thin one, thicker ones for something like $10 and $15;
they're marked two or three times their actual price. Find them in the snowboarding department.

:The bike: I spent a half-hour un-seizing some of the seized parts of a beater: an ancient Windsor
"International" (I think) that I've been considering making into a fixie, whose very nice stem
shifters I would then use on another bike that needs them.

I have decided that, as terrible as the condition is, I like this bike. The front derailer is sprung
backwards, so when I push both shifters all the way in the same direction, I get the highest or
lowest combination I can get -- except that the derailer adjustment screws were seized and I
couldn't adjust them well. No top gear in the rear -- good, because the rear tire was NG, the road
was wet, and I wasn't used to the cold wind. The front doesn't shift into the big ring very well, or
very often. That backwards front derailer is cool; if only I could adjust it -- I snapped both
screws on it. I'll get them out another day.

Oh yes, the rear tire. Very rotted, didn't seem prudent to add too much air. It lost air pretty
quickly anyway. When I finally decided to turn around and head home, I figured I pump it up a bit;
that's when my pump broke, and let out what was left in the tire while it was at it. Luckily, I had
a CO2 inflater in my backpack, and it was mostly downhill going home, so I put the contents of a 16g
cartridge in it and rode it home.

The freewheel was not freewheeling. I thought maybe I could test the theory of a fixed gear being
sure to break a derailer-style tensioner. However, the WD-40 that I sprayed liberally into the
freewheel must have found it's target shortly after I left the driveway.

The rear wheel had at least one centimeter of lateral run-out. When I hurriedly attempted to true
it, with it's seized nipples, I broke two spokes, both on the side that exacerbated the problem. I
ended up with two spokes gone, the same lateral run-out, and now I think a flat spot on the rim. It
was a little bumpy, once per revolution...

As a result, I left the rear brake nearly useless for being so open. I did replace the missing pad,
though; even so, it wasn't useful on the road.

The front end was squirrely; it kept wanting to turn back and forth a few degrees; I think it's the
headset, and also the cause of: I found out that it was pulling left. Either the frame or fork is
bent, or the headset is beat. The headset feels a bit notchy, especially if I turn it left.

The handlebars had this terrible, completely unpadded thin cloth tape on them. It didn't cover
the non-aero brake levers, nor did they have rubber hoods; I still found them a reasonable place
to hold on.

The saddle was a bit hard, but more importantly, was not tightly attached, and tilted
forward/backward whenever I shifted my weight. It'll probably be not-so-bad if I secure it and raise
it an inch.

Once the lube worked it's way in, the rear derailer and chain worked surprisingly nicely.

I put my favorite cheapo SPD pedals on. Gotta have the pedals!

I put two extra-cheap clamp-on fenders, bought for $5/each at Building #19 (a semi-local deep-
discount liquidation chain). I was surprised how well they worked. I clamped one on the seatpost, as
they're intended to do, and even way higher than the tire, it did it's job well enough. I clamped
the other one on the head tube, between the downtube and top tube, and was shocked to find it did
the job too, again with the tire far away.

I didn't bother testing the QR levers before I left, and luckily, never needed to find out if
they're any good.

<snip>
> Attention Rhode Islanders and anybody with a The Sports Authority store around: Balaclavas on sale
> cheap at The Sports Authority. $7 for the thin one, thicker ones for something like $10 and $15;
> they're marked two or three times their actual price. Find them in the snowboarding department.

Hunting clothing is usually cheep this time of the year as well. Rhode Island's archery season is
from October 1st to January 31st and of course there are clearance sales on anything that's left
over. Nice winter clothing if you don't mind camo. Archery clothing tends to be very quiet as well
... I know that bugs ya (c: Don't want to spook the deer when drawing a bow.

C.Q.C.

> I thought all you icky-weather riders were nuts.
>
> I was wrong!
>
> I rode today. Many of you will call this mild, not unpleasant weather. This was pushing it for me;
> the worst I've ever ridden before was warm, light rain.
>
> I must say: It was GREAT!

Welcome to the winter riding club!

> Okay, I just checked that material: The jacket is nylon. The pants are polyester. How do they make
> it crunchy and noisy and hard and nearly abrasive, and importantly, water-resistant? Different
> weave than the normal soft, quiet versions?

Tight weave and thicker fibers, often with some kind of coating on them.

> I have decided that, as terrible as the condition is, I like this

I'm glad it's working for you, but don't spend more money on it than it's end condition
will be worth!

>I thought all you icky-weather riders were nuts.

>I was wrong!

No, you were right the first time.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:06:02 -0500, <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I thought all you icky-weather riders were nuts.
>
>>I was wrong!
>
>No, you were right the first time.

We're all Brazilians on this bus. . . uhh, bike.
--
zk

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
> I thought all you icky-weather riders were nuts.

> I was wrong!

> I rode today. Many of you will call this mild, not unpleasant weather. This was pushing it for me;
> the worst I've ever ridden before was warm, light rain.

> I must say: It was GREAT!

One of us! One of us! One of us!

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "Judges, as a class, display, in the
matter of arranging alimony, that reckless generosity which is found only in men who are giving away

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:09:42 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>> I have decided that, as terrible as the condition is, I like this
>
>I'm glad it's working for you, but don't spend more money on it than it's end condition will
>be worth!

I wouldn't need to spend money on it; I can just cannibalize other beaters. You saw part of my
collection.. ;)
--
Rick Onanian

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:09:42 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
> >> I have decided that, as terrible as the condition is, I like this
> >
> >I'm glad it's working for you, but don't spend more money on it than it's end condition will
> >be worth!
>
> I wouldn't need to spend money on it; I can just cannibalize other beaters. You saw part of my
> collection.. ;)

As long as you're cannibalizing and not buying, then go ahead and make any kind of Frankenbike
you feel like <GGG>. Like putting those beautiful stem shifters on your newly tripleized road
bike <G,D&R>.

> --
> Rick Onanian

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:12:57 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>> I wouldn't need to spend money on it; I can just cannibalize other beaters. You saw part of my
>> collection.. ;)
>
>As long as you're cannibalizing and not buying, then go ahead and make any kind of Frankenbike
>you feel like <GGG>. Like putting those beautiful stem shifters on your newly tripleized road
>bike <G,D&R>.

No way Jose! I like my STI, thank you. For the Peugeot, however, which lacks STI...the Peugeot might
get those stem shifters when the Windsor goes away.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 43 degrees f. Snow and slush everywhere. Road covered in deep salt-water puddles and sections of
> slush. I've been itching to ride, and *****ing about the weather.
<snip>
> stuff, anyway?). Thin fleecey balaclava, bought Thursday; great even in the wind, and sufficient
> for probably another 5 or 10 degrees down. My mountain biking SPD boots.

A balaclava at a balmy 6 degrees celsius? 6 in the winter up here in the great white north :) would
be good cause to break out into tights, a t-shirt and light jacket.

How many lunatics did I see riding today with bare legs? What is up with these people? It was 38 F
on the way in, and 42 F on the way back. This is not knickers/shorts weather, people, even if the
sun is shining in the afternoon.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

On 9 Feb 2004 16:24:41 -0800, [email protected] (Tanya Quinn)
wrote:
>A balaclava at a balmy 6 degrees celsius? 6 in the winter up here in the great white north :) would
>be good cause to break out into tights, a t-shirt and light jacket.

Well, lots of wind, lots of downhill, and I'm new to riding imperfect weather...
--
Rick Onanian

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How many lunatics did I see riding today with bare legs? What is up with these people? It was 38 F
>on the way in, and 42 F on the way back. This is not knickers/shorts weather, people, even if the
>sun is shining in the afternoon.

I don't wear leg warmers or tights until it's well below freezing... just don't need to I guess.
By the time I've been out long enough for my legs to get cold, they're generating enough heat to
stay warm.

Personally I'm more amazed by the riders who will be riding in long tights, fleece, wind jackets,
full fingered gloves and balaclavas when it's 50 (10C). I would spontaneously combust if I did that.

> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How many lunatics did I see riding today with bare legs? What is up with these people? It was 38
> >F on the way in, and 42 F on the way back. This is not knickers/shorts weather, people, even if
> >the sun is shining in the afternoon.
>
> I don't wear leg warmers or tights until it's well below freezing... just don't need to I guess.
> By the time I've been out long enough for my legs to get cold, they're generating enough heat to
> stay warm.
>
> Personally I'm more amazed by the riders who will be riding in long tights, fleece, wind
> jackets, full fingered gloves and balaclavas when it's 50 (10C). I would spontaneously combust
> if I did that.

I'll sometimes wear thin tights at that temp, especially if it's windy and not sunny, but otherwise
I agree with you. Definitely no jacket or balaclava. I was out Sunday in 25F (-4C) with windfront
tights, a turtleneck and a light windbreaker, and found that I had to unzip the windbreaker part way
to keep from overheating.

Rick, if you live somwhere where it's still in the forties then you can ride all year long! I'm in
Chicago, and lots of people commute daily. We even had a great turnout at a Critical Mass ride when
it was 0F!

Eschew the balaclava! You will generate too much heat! The more you ride the more you become
acclimated to cold weather.

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:39:19 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't wear leg warmers or tights until it's well below freezing... just don't need to I guess.
>By the time I've been out long enough for my legs to get cold, they're generating enough heat to
>stay warm.

they may not feel cold but it is really hard on your knees. and when you get older your sure going
to notice the problems. I wear tights when it is below 60. I don't need them for warmth but I sure
don't want knee problems.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

In article <TcYVb.266033$xy6.1372739@attbi_s02>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> How many lunatics did I see riding today with bare legs? What is up with these people?

Bike tan maintenance maybe? I could use some, myself. Mine changes through the seasons like phases
of the moon.

> It was 38 F on the way in, and 42 F on the way back. This is not knickers/shorts weather, people,
> even if the sun is shining in the afternoon.

I'm getting impatient to switch back to fingerless gloves. Full-finger gloves are such
encumberances. But, it beats cold, sore fingernails.

Yesterday was fairly nice here. I did a little jaunt up to New Brighton Park; there was big,
ominous, dirty-dark cloud in the middle of the sky, with lots of clear blue around the horizon, and
clouds half-way down the North Shore mountains. It was cool enough to be a 4 nose-blow ride
(could/should have been more).

Funny thing was, when I got to the park, just about each bench was occupied by a rider who had the
same notion of going there. Maybe some sort of cyclist migrating instinct was going on. Didn't see
any bare knees there, though. I had the ulterior motive of riding through the harbour (which is a
federal jurisdiction) to see if I'd get kicked out, but I shined that idea on after imagining myself
being detained and then deported to somewhere nasty.

It's really pretty out today. I think I might mow the front lawn. The grass is starting to grow
again. I've got snowdrops in full bloom, and the daffs are shooting up. There's some dandelions to
dig up out there, too. BTW -- the early spring dandelions are the good ones for making wine.

cheers, Tom