weather-induced, city-wide critical mass

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Keats, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    It's been raining steady here, since last Tuesday afternoon (when I deigned to try to mow the back
    lawn). Today, the rain finally stopped.

    In the meantime, I've been working on that filthy foundling hybrid I obtained. Overhauled every
    bearing --- even in the cheap-o rubber pedals. Nothing better to do (except tune-up the main bike,
    which I've been putting off for a little too long.)

    I've been riding around on parts runs today. Wow, the cyclists abound everywhere! The sun finally
    shines, and it's like the cork's been pulled of a shaken-up champagne bottle.

    I don't fear riding in the rain. But when it rains *forever*, the constant post-ride bike
    maintenance gets to be a total drag.

    Y'know that sigh one gives while settling into a well-deserved, hot bath?

    Aaahhhhhhhh.

    I premonitorily hear riders all over town giving that sigh.

    The weather might even give me half a fair chance of finishing the lawn-mowing job. But I think I'd
    rather ride around a bit.

    Aaahhhhhhh .... vitamin D .....

    Cheerz, Tom