weaver batter fried chicken

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ham Sulu, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Ham Sulu

    Ham Sulu Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I've been doing that thinking-about-foods-you-ate-as-a-kid thing, and I
    recall that Weaver Chicken which is still around made a frozen product
    called "batter fried chicken" that was hands down my favorite fried
    chicken when I was 8. It was sweet-ish, and a little thick almost like
    a chicken corn-dog, minus the corn. I look at their website now and
    they appear to be out of the chicken part business, just into the
    chicken shape business (patties, strips etc). Anyway, does anyone else
    remember this and might have some idea of a recipe? I've web searched
    for batter-fried chicken, but haven't found an homage so I thought I'd
    ask the list. I'm sure it's better in my mind's eye, but I want to try
    to reproduce it!

    Thanks!

    Ping

    Tags:

  2. ranck@vt.edu

    ranck@vt.edu Guest

    Ham Sulu <hamsulu@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I've been doing that thinking-about-foods-you-ate-as-a-kid thing, and I
    > recall that Weaver Chicken which is still around made a frozen product
    > called "batter fried chicken" that was hands down my favorite fried
    > chicken when I was 8. It was sweet-ish, and a little thick almost like
    > a chicken corn-dog, minus the corn. I look at their website now and
    > they appear to be out of the chicken part business, just into the
    > chicken shape business (patties, strips etc). Anyway, does anyone else
    > remember this and might have some idea of a recipe? I've web searched
    > for batter-fried chicken, but haven't found an homage so I thought I'd
    > ask the list. I'm sure it's better in my mind's eye, but I want to try
    > to reproduce it!

    Well, I sure remember it. My sister lives in New Holland, Pa. where
    the Weaver plant is located. We used to get it occasionally when I was
    a kid also. Hmm, I see what you mean about their web site. I've lived
    in Virginia since 1976 and it was never available here, so I didn't know
    they had eliminated the fried pieces. Very odd. Maybe I'll ask my
    sister about it next time I talk to her.

    Bill Ranck
    Blacksburg, Va.

  3. In article <ev3ukv$5b9$1@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, ranck@vt.edu wrote:

    > Ham Sulu <hamsulu@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been doing that thinking-about-foods-you-ate-as-a-kid thing, and I
    > > recall that Weaver Chicken which is still around made a frozen product
    > > called "batter fried chicken" that was hands down my favorite fried
    > > chicken when I was 8. It was sweet-ish, and a little thick almost like
    > > a chicken corn-dog, minus the corn. I look at their website now and
    > > they appear to be out of the chicken part business, just into the
    > > chicken shape business (patties, strips etc). Anyway, does anyone else
    > > remember this and might have some idea of a recipe? I've web searched
    > > for batter-fried chicken, but haven't found an homage so I thought I'd
    > > ask the list. I'm sure it's better in my mind's eye, but I want to try
    > > to reproduce it!

    > Well, I sure remember it. My sister lives in New Holland, Pa. where
    > the Weaver plant is located. We used to get it occasionally when I was
    > a kid also. Hmm, I see what you mean about their web site. I've lived
    > in Virginia since 1976 and it was never available here, so I didn't know
    > they had eliminated the fried pieces. Very odd. Maybe I'll ask my
    > sister about it next time I talk to her.
    >
    > Bill Ranck
    > Blacksburg, Va.

    oh man yeah. I grew up near there too and we could sometime get it cheap
    cause it was seconds or there was a factory outlet sort of sale or
    something. I know we were poor and this was a real treat. It was yummy
    and yeah the coating was thicker and not like a batter but a pressed on
    coating or something. sigh. memories. No idea how you'd make it but I'd
    start with a cornmeal and sugar combo with spices experiment.

  4. On Apr 5, 8:24 pm, Tamzen Cannoy <tam...@worldbenders.com> wrote:
    > In article <ev3ukv$5b...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, r...@vt.edu wrote:
    > > Ham Sulu <hams...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > > > I've been doing that thinking-about-foods-you-ate-as-a-kid thing, and I
    > > > recall that Weaver Chicken which is still around made a frozen product
    > > > called "batter fried chicken" that was hands down my favorite fried
    > > > chicken when I was 8. It was sweet-ish, and a little thick almost like
    > > > a chicken corn-dog, minus the corn. I look at their website now and
    > > > they appear to be out of the chicken part business, just into the
    > > > chicken shape business (patties, strips etc). Anyway, does anyone else
    > > > remember this and might have some idea of a recipe? I've web searched
    > > > for batter-fried chicken, but haven't found an homage so I thought I'd
    > > > ask the list. I'm sure it's better in my mind's eye, but I want to try
    > > > to reproduce it!

    > > Well, I sure remember it. My sister lives in New Holland, Pa. where
    > > the Weaver plant is located. We used to get it occasionally when I was
    > > a kid also. Hmm, I see what you mean about their web site. I've lived
    > > in Virginia since 1976 and it was never available here, so I didn't know
    > > they had eliminated the fried pieces. Very odd. Maybe I'll ask my
    > > sister about it next time I talk to her.

    > > Bill Ranck
    > > Blacksburg, Va.

    > oh man yeah. I grew up near there too and we could sometime get it cheap
    > cause it was seconds or there was a factory outlet sort of sale or
    > something. I know we were poor and this was a real treat. It was yummy
    > and yeah the coating was thicker and not like a batter but a pressed on
    > coating or something. sigh. memories. No idea how you'd make it but I'd
    > start with a cornmeal and sugar combo with spices experiment.

    I remember the batter-fried wing pieces, haven't seen them in years. I
    liked these but never liked any
    other Weavers product.
    It's like tv. Most shows I like get cancelled while American Idol has
    become a religion with millions of followers.

  5. lovethatchicken

    lovethatchicken New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2012
    I sure do remember that chicken...that's what I am doing here now-looking for a place to get some. The website is as you described. I haven't been able to duplicate their chicken---ever! DARN! I'd give my eye teeth if I could.

    If you ever find a recipe please forward it to me? I'd be FOREVER in your debt and I'd be forever grateful to you.

    Good Luck and if I ever duplicate it, I'll email you the recipe.

    Karen

    I wish I had a huge piece right now!!!!! :0

  6. slayerlml110

    slayerlml110 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2014
    I've been looking for the old Weaver chicken wings with the sweet batter and bone in for years also! Guess they took that away just like the old snack pack pudding in a can and the frozen tv dinners with foil! Everything is replaced with garbage nowadays unfortunately.

    Would love to find that stuff again!

  7. ambal

    ambal Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah fried chicken is pretty good for you. haha

    spaaqua19 likes this.