web access to usenet?

MartinM

Guest
I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
anyone have any ideas?

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

My workplace has blocked all access to newsgroups and most forums - however
I have found I can still access my newsgroups via
http://www.spraci.com/net/news/showgroups.php?parea=&username=&ucode=

I keep quiet about it though!

> I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

Xnews should run off a usb drive and not leave a trace on the computer....

Mark Thompson wrote:
> > I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> > reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> > account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> > anyone have any ideas?

> Xnews should run off a usb drive and not leave a trace on the computer....

However, before you try that, verify that doing so will not violate
your employer's rules regarding computer use. Reading news at work is
(probably) not worth losing your job.

Jeff

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Thompson wrote:
>> > I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
>> > reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
>> > account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
>> > anyone have any ideas?

>> Xnews should run off a usb drive and not leave a trace on the
>> computer....

> However, before you try that, verify that doing so will not violate
> your employer's rules regarding computer use. Reading news at work is
> (probably) not worth losing your job.

And doesn't usenet run on port 119, which is likely to be blocked?

http://www.grc.com/port_119.htm

How about using google groups?

Gareth

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:42:34 +0100, elyob wrote:

> And doesn't usenet run on port 119, which is likely to be blocked?
>
> http://www.grc.com/port_119.htm

I don't know how many free servers do it, but being able to use 22, 23, 53,
80, 110 and 443 is very handy!

Steve

On Monday 26 Jun 2006 22:16 MartinM, wrote:

> I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a
> news account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader
> does anyone have any ideas?

I take it that OE isn't installed then? Can you set up a shell account
and use PuTTy to access it?

Oh dear! <fx>whip crack</fx> Back to work then! ;-)
--
del :cool:

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

Do more work? ;-)

MartinM wrote:
> I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

What's your line of work? If it's something IT related then you've got
a valild reason to access Google Groups as a large portion of IT guys
find fixes for problems by searching GG. I'm sure other industries
could use a similar claim to justify unblocking it.

Any "workaround" could be in violation of an "acceptable use policy"
and isn't worth risking.

Graeme

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

You may install any newsreader you like on your own machine at home.

If you really *can't* wait for OCACO [1] until you get home, you can
always use an internet cafe, the library, or a dial-up through your mobile
phone with your own lap-top, during your lunch break.

Your employer possibly holds oldfashioned views about workplace computers
being for .... ummm... workplace activities. But he who pays the piper
etc.....

[1] Our Collective And Comprehensive Offerings

====
IanH

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> anyone have any ideas?

Yes.

Read urc at home (or using your own PDA/laptop if bringing one into the
workplace is permitted).

Sorry if this sounds harsh but similar stuff happened to me in my previous
job; nearly all groups/forums were blocked (ironically the IT security guys
who did it were themselves cyclists, and cursed having to do this but it was
a taxpayer funded organisation with strict policies)

In my current job (Finance/IT Manager) I have been asked by senior
management to deploy "appropriate filtering and content monitoring software"
as well as the usual anti-virus/firewall stuff.

This was simply because previous staff took the **** and were downloading
all sorts of inappropriate material (and causing offence to other
colleagues) etc

As much as I abhor collective punishment and pre-emptive action, employers
pay for the net circuits and can do as they please with them.

Alex

--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

Mr R@t (2.30zi) said the following on 27/06/2006 15:50:

> This was simply because previous staff took the **** and were downloading
> all sorts of inappropriate material (and causing offence to other
> colleagues) etc

The DVLA situation comes to mind...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Mark Thompson wrote:
> > > I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> > > reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> > > account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> > > anyone have any ideas?

> > Xnews should run off a usb drive and not leave a trace on the computer....

> However, before you try that, verify that doing so will not violate
> your employer's rules regarding computer use. Reading news at work is
> (probably) not worth losing your job.
>
> Jeff

Indeed ...

I have to run the reports for our web usage and only last week there are
two employees who spent 20 hours each browsing various non business
related sites.

When I hand this report over there is going to be a few words!

OG wrote:
> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
> > reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a news
> > account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader does
> > anyone have any ideas?

> My workplace has blocked all access to newsgroups and most forums - however
> I have found I can still access my newsgroups via
> http://www.spraci.com/net/news/showgroups.php?parea=&username=&ucode=
>
> I keep quiet about it though!

yes that works but it needs an e-mail for confirmation; I will try to
get mine munged again; thanks

BTW when I say at work I mean at lunch and tea breaks ;-)

in message <[email protected]>, Budstaff
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I have now been kicked out of GG at work (net nanny) and for some
>> reason cannot post on cycling forums (and don't even think about a
>> news account on Outlook) so apart from the very out of date ureader
>> does anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Do more work? ;-)

Don't be ridiculous.

' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left

in message <[email protected]>, Steve
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:42:34 +0100, elyob wrote:
>

>> And doesn't usenet run on port 119, which is likely to be blocked?
>>
>> http://www.grc.com/port_119.htm

> I don't know how many free servers do it, but being able to use 22, 23,
> 53, 80, 110 and 443 is very handy!

23 is well dodgy. You should not be doing /that/ any more.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.