Website for common dishes and their ingedients?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sudy, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Sudy

    Sudy Guest

    Hi

    Because of food intolerances, I've got to check what's in your average dish- all of them
    basically. I'm really a novice at cooking, so lack the experience to know what most well-known
    dishes actually contain.

    Would any one know of websites that lists just the more common dishes from around the world and
    their (usual) ingredients?

    Thanks in advance Sudy

    [Re-sent because my previous post might not have reached]

    Tags:

  2. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    (Sudy) writes:

    >Hi
    >
    >Because of food intolerances, I've got to check what's in your average dish- all of them
    >basically. I'm really a novice at cooking, so lack the experience to know what most well-known
    >dishes actually contain.

    What kind of food intolerances, and how severe?

    >Would any one know of websites that lists just the more common dishes from around the world and
    >their (usual) ingredients?

    Nope, that's a gleaning expedition. If you've got celiac disease, or are lactose intolerant,
    hypoglycemic, the answers you're looking for will be found in different places.

    Kinda like a library. ;-)

  3. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 05:38:59 -0800, [email protected] (Sudy)
    wrote:

    >Because of food intolerances, I've got to check what's in your average dish- all of them
    >basically. I'm really a novice at cooking, so lack the experience to know what most well-known
    >dishes actually contain.

    Most contain the ingredients described in the recipe. If the recipe calls for a can of mushroom
    soup, the can of soup (in the US) includes a list of ingredients. Detailed analysis of thousands of
    food items can be found at:

    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

    If you have a particular intolerance, search on

    "gluten free" recipes

    "lactose intolerant" recipes

    or

    "disease/condition name" recipes

    There are sure to be some out there.

  4. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Sudy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > Because of food intolerances, I've got to check what's in your average dish- all of them
    > basically. I'm really a novice at cooking, so lack the experience to know what most well-known
    > dishes actually contain.
    >

    > Would any one know of websites that lists just the more common dishes from around the world and
    > their (usual) ingredients?
    >
    > Thanks in advance Sudy
    >
    > [Re-sent because my previous post might not have reached]

    You have to be a bit more specific-what types of intolerences? For example, if you have an ulcer,
    black pepper is not recommended, nor is tomatoe sauce. For high blood pressure-salt is discouraged.
    Do you have an allergy to MSG? An allergy to shellfish? Simple things like, 'I can't eat fish, but I
    love a steak w/worcestershire sauce' can be a problem as Lea & Perrins is made with anchovies.