New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Taking the ****?

:eek: :D

************

Bladder alert lost in translation
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/4794753.stm

Safety message in English or health warning in Welsh?
Cyclists were left confused by a bilingual road sign telling them they had problems with an inflamed bladder.

The "cyclists dismount" sign between Penarth and Cardiff became "llid y bledren dymchwelyd" in Welsh - literally "bladder inflammation upset" (or tip or overturn).

The Vale of Glamorgan Council said new signs were being made.

It is possible that an online translation led to confusion between cyclists and cystisis.

The temporary sign at roadworks is to be replaced.

Welsh-speaking cyclist Matt Lloyd, 27, said: "When I read the sign I thought someone was having a laugh. I've never even had a bladder disease."

Welsh language expert Owain Sgiv told the South Wales Echo: "It certainly does not mean anything like cyclists dismount."

A spokesman for the Vale of Glamorgan Council's highways department said: "A mistake has been made and we are investigating.

"Amended signs are being made and will be put up as soon as possible".

another reason to make sure you have relieved yourself before setting out on your bicycling session... :p

asterope wrote:

> another reason to make sure you have relieved yourself before setting
> out on your bicycling session... :p

But you know that you never need to go, until you have on your
bibknicks, jersey (now with full pockets) and vest...

Tam

cfsmtb wrote:
> Taking the ****?
>
> Safety message in English or health warning in Welsh?
> Cyclists were left confused by a bilingual road sign telling them they
> had problems with an inflamed bladder.

I doubt that the rate of compliance was different from the correct
sign!

Donga

Tamyka Bell said:
asterope wrote:

> another reason to make sure you have relieved yourself before setting
> out on your bicycling session... :p

But you know that you never need to go, until you have on your
bibknicks, jersey (now with full pockets) and vest...

Tam
so true... so very very true!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch....

ahhhh what a relief they didnt get that wrong too