Week 3- slow going

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Victoria, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Victoria

    Victoria Guest

    Hi all,

    Im on day 17 of Atkins and am down 6 or 7 pounds. Feels like its going slow...
    Ive done Atkins before with mucho success, but I dont recall how fast I lost.
    Is this amount within the to be expected range?

    Victoria
    from beautiful El Granada

    Tags:

  2. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]ospam (Victoria) wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im on day 17 of Atkins and am down 6 or 7 pounds. Feels like its going slow...
    > Ive done Atkins before with mucho success, but I dont recall how fast I lost.
    > Is this amount within the to be expected range?
    >

    > Victoria
    > from beautiful El Granada

    First, it's common for people to lose faster on Induction, but it's mostly
    water weight. When the fat loss starts in, it goes slower.

    In my opinion, any loss at all is a good thing. There are many factors
    that determine how fast your body loses, some of which are not within your
    control.

    How much you have to lose. Usually, people without a lot to lose will go
    slower.

    Getting your period.

    How much you're eating. Calories can matter too, for some.

    How much and what kind of exercise you do.

    And, sometimes, weight loss slows down or speeds up for no apparent reason.
    Most people have a pattern of drops and then plateuas, rather than a
    straight line. If loss of both pounds and inches stops for at least 6
    weeks, then it may be time to change something. Otherwise, just be
    patient.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  3. Victoria

    Victoria Guest

    Thanks!
    I have abour 40 pounds to lose.
    I exercise 5 times a week.
    I know i need to be patient!!

    Victoria
    from beautiful El Granada

  4. Victoria wrote:

    > Im on day 17 of Atkins and am down 6 or 7 pounds.

    Some objectivity stuff:

    A stall is 4+ weeks in ketosis without a new low without a
    lost inch, according to Dr Atkins. You're so far from stalled
    it isn't funny.

    The time scale for fat loss is month to month not week to
    week or day to day. of course everyone hates this fact
    but hating a fact does not convert it into fiction. How have
    you done in the last month? Check.

    Much of the initial loss of Induction is water. There is no
    good way to tell how much of Induction loss is water, just
    that some is fat and some is water. Now let's run some
    numbers: Fat is 3500-4000 calories per pound. The fastest
    possible fat loss under calorie-driven circumstances is
    around 2 pounds per week with only folks with over 100
    to lose dropping fat faster. Carbs are under half that per
    pound but carbs are stored dissolved in far more water
    than that. Induction drains stored carbs, so Induction loss
    includes the water the carbs were stored in. At over 2 per
    week it *had* to be something other than fat.

    The body only stores just so much carb dissolved in just
    so much water. You have reached the point where the
    loss is all fat now.

    Few lose during week three. It is a normal predictable
    part of the process. There are two main ways to resolve
    it. One, follow the directions and move on the OWL with
    a daily quota of 25. Two, allow the calendar to not say
    weeks 3-4 any more (easy to do but actually less effective
    than actually following the directions).

    > Feels like its going slow...

    Yup, but it's not actually going slow. Feelings aren't
    always facts. The *fact* is you have just lost at about
    3-4 times the ideal rate for keeping it off.

    Relax. You are doing fine. Move on to OWL; follow the
    directions. Induction worked great for you, so will OWL.

  5. Victoria

    Victoria Guest

    >Yup, but it's not actually going slow. Feelings aren't
    >always facts. The *fact* is you have just lost at about
    >3-4 times the ideal rate for keeping it off.
    >
    >Relax. You are doing fine. Move on to OWL; follow the
    >directions. Induction worked great for you, so will OWL.

    Thanks and I will!

    Victoria
    from beautiful El Granada