Week-o-riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MattB, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. MattB

    MattB Guest

    I had last week off work and we were due for a family vacation. I looked
    into endless options including Bahamas, Mexico, and many places in
    between. Since we're building a house (and still spending money on bikes
    as usual) we decided to be cheap and just stick to our general area.
    The first weekend we went to Colorado City (Co) to pay a visit to my
    in laws and take advantage of some free babysitting. We brought road
    bikes and I got dropped off for my favorite stretch of road biking, Hwy
    165 from the junction with Hwy 360 to Colorado City. It's ~35 Miles of
    roller coaster style hills with a couple of monster climbs. It's a lot
    like mountain biking in that I'm either busting a gut climbing (often
    out of the saddle) or getting a huge rush descending at high speed (I
    bet I exceeded 50 Mph a few times). It also goes by Bishop Castle,
    which is a trip and a good spot to eat a bar and read the guy's
    anti-government rants (hand-painted on big signs). We also did a ride on
    that road together from San Isabel to the castle, and then back to Co
    City. The worrisome father-in-law even came out looking for us in his
    car when he figured we must have been murdered or run off the road (we
    actually just rode a little extra).

    Climbing a big hill (warning: roadie (Fred) content!)
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02909.JPG

    Then we returned home for a night to swap out some gear, change bikes,
    and head to a friend's parent's house in Castle Valley near Moab. Our
    friends have a daughter who is a year younger than our boy so that part
    of the trip was going to be swapping kid-watching duty and getting out
    on rides as we can. MrsB and I haven't been to the Moab area in more
    than a decade so we decided we'd just ride a couple of classics to get
    re-acquainted. On our first full day there (Wednesday) we got the
    afternoon slot after hanging out with the kids all morning (my three
    year old loved the red dirt and spent the morning in it).

    The kids:
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02923.JPG

    We parked at the Negro Bill Canyon parking lot and rode Porcupine rim as
    an out and back from the bottom. Being a week day it wasn't particularly
    crowded, and that trail actually makes a pretty fun climb. There were of
    course some portages required, but we decided later it's probably
    "easier" to climb because you don't see the exposure like you do on the
    way down. About 7 or eight times we were asked if we knew where we were
    going by riders coming the other way. A couple were impressed when we
    told them but most seemed puzzled by us riding up the trail. The Mrs and
    I took a break at the top, took some photos and then headed back down.

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02933.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02935.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02939.JPG

    I forgot how big some of those drops are! What a rush, I ended riding
    some lines I had thought I'd better not ride when looking at them on the
    way up, but on the descent I wouldn't realize it until I was rolling
    past the point of no return. Some great adrenaline rushes on some big
    (for me - maybe 3-4') drops that almost made me want to get some kind of
    "Freeride" bike after I move on from the Epic (which did fine). We were
    having too much fun to take many photos on the way down.

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02942.JPG

    The following day, we went up to Sand Flats to ride the most famous
    (over done?) of all the Moab rides, Slickrock. My buddy Keith and I hung
    out with the kids while the wives went out or the first shift. That
    wasn't great mostly because of all the activity I had to really watch my
    boy closely to be sure he wasn't wandering into traffic of some sort,
    and there really is a lot of crap (literally - probably dog and human as
    well as figuratively - like broken glass) around there for him to find,
    which kept me on my toes. There were lots of Hummers and ATVs that
    weren't there last time:

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02967.JPG

    But despite all that, it is still a beautiful area, and the Slickrock
    trail is still fun. I wondered if it would seem easy after all the
    riding I've done since I last rode it, but I still found some challenges
    out there. Keith and I rode a spur trail that was particularly
    challenging and I actually got a clean a climb right after a motorcycle
    couldn't (while they watched: that hurt and felt great at the same time).

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02971.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02974.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02982.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02983.JPG

    My son really liked the park in town near the Sand Flats area:

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02985.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02989.JPG

    Then we drove home and rode Hartman's over the weekend to top it all
    off. All in all a great week!

    http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02996.JPG

    Matt (back to the grind of working and riding the high desert)

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > I had last week off work and we were due for a family vacation. I looked
    > into endless options including Bahamas, Mexico, and many places in
    > between. Since we're building a house (and still spending money on bikes
    > as usual) we decided to be cheap and just stick to our general area.
    > The first weekend we went to Colorado City (Co) to pay a visit to my
    > in laws and take advantage of some free babysitting. We brought road
    > bikes and I got dropped off for my favorite stretch of road biking, Hwy
    > 165 from the junction with Hwy 360 to Colorado City. It's ~35 Miles of
    > roller coaster style hills with a couple of monster climbs. It's a lot
    > like mountain biking in that I'm either busting a gut climbing (often
    > out of the saddle) or getting a huge rush descending at high speed (I
    > bet I exceeded 50 Mph a few times). It also goes by Bishop Castle,
    > which is a trip and a good spot to eat a bar and read the guy's
    > anti-government rants (hand-painted on big signs). We also did a ride on
    > that road together from San Isabel to the castle, and then back to Co
    > City. The worrisome father-in-law even came out looking for us in his
    > car when he figured we must have been murdered or run off the road (we
    > actually just rode a little extra).

    <snippy>

    Nice report and pics! It's amazing how fast kids grow up. I didn't
    realize I was on this group that long, but I remember when you announced
    he was born and now he's past the "innocent" stage. My youngest turns
    seven this weekend. It flies by you, savor it while you can.

    *sigh*

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  4. Jimbo(san)

    Jimbo(san) Guest

    Awessome RR as usual Matt!

    I can't belive how big your son got... He is a good looking lad!

    Sounds like you had a great vacation!

    Jimbo(san)

  5. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > <snip stuff about GRS>
    >
    >>The kids:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02923.JPG

    > Your kids are so fricking cute!
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Thanks! Only the boy is mine. The girl is our friends', but I have to
    agree they are pretty cute. We were pretty psyched they hit it off
    really well and my boy who is older was really good about sharing and
    pretty understanding when the younger girl wasn't so good about sharing.

    He is growing up pretty fast! I'm looking forward to some reports like
    Penny's in the coming years.

    Matt

  6. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    good stuff. now I want to be up there even more.

    Gary (story left in its entirety below)

> [...]
    > trail is still fun. I wondered if it would seem easy after all the riding
    > I've done since I last rode it, but I still found some challenges out
    > there. Keith and I rode a spur trail that was particularly challenging and
    > I actually got a clean a climb right after a motorcycle couldn't (while
    > they watched: that hurt and felt great at the same time).
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02971.JPG
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02974.JPG
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02982.JPG
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02983.JPG
    >
    > My son really liked the park in town near the Sand Flats area:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02985.JPG
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02989.JPG
    >
    > Then we drove home and rode Hartman's over the weekend to top it all off.
    > All in all a great week!
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/znahe/DSC02996.JPG
    >
    > Matt (back to the grind of working and riding the high desert)

  7. JD

    JD Guest

    Nice stuff, Matt. It's good to see you are out of the snow finally.

    JD

  8. MattB

    MattB Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Nice stuff, Matt. It's good to see you are out of the snow finally.
    >
    > JD

    Thanks, it's good to be out!
    Being the seasonal kind of guy I am, I like the snow when it's time for
    snow, but I'm always happy to get back on the bike too.

    Of course there's still some turns that could be hiked, but it's
    unlikely I'll bother when I could just ride instead.

    Matt