Weigh In : It's working again!

Zaz

Guest
To those of you who don't believe...

As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that my
body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.

Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple reason that I was sleeping all
the time and couldn't bother with anything else than getting back into "real life" again.

However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my
chances of success, given my health problem, but here I am!

So don't despair, anyone!

Isabelle
162/155.8/130

Yeaaa! That's wonderful Isabelle! Congratulations on losing that 6.2 ;-D Elaine K

Zaz wrote:

>To those of you who don't believe...
>
>As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
>my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
>Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple reason that I was sleeping
>all the time and couldn't bother with anything else than getting back into "real life" again.
>
>However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
>rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
>my chances of success, given my health problem, but here I am!
>
>So don't despair, anyone!
>
>Isabelle
>162/155.8/130

Well done Isabelle - how very inspiring :)

--
krys

UK 157/132/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

"Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To those of you who don't believe...
>
> As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
> my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
> Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
reason
> that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything else
than
> getting back into "real life" again.
>
> However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
> rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
> my chances of
success,
> given my health problem, but here I am!
>
> So don't despair, anyone!
>
> Isabelle
> 162/155.8/130

Good job with those losses over the last few weeks. Best on the thyroid problem.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:53:23 -0500, "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>To those of you who don't believe...
>
>As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
>my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
>Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple reason that I was sleeping
>all the time and couldn't bother with anything else than getting back into "real life" again.
>
>However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
>rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
>my chances of success, given my health problem, but here I am!
>
>So don't despair, anyone!
>
>Isabelle
>162/155.8/130

This is truly wonderful, Isabelle! Congrats!
--
Nathalie from Belgium
134.1/101.4/minigoal 99.9 Goal 68 Kg
134/1.102/212 lbs "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To those of you who don't believe...
>
> As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
> my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
> Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
reason
> that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything else
than
> getting back into "real life" again.
>
> However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
> rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
> my chances of
success,
> given my health problem, but here I am!
>
> So don't despair, anyone!
>
> Isabelle
> 162/155.8/130

That is great, Isabelle!! 2 lbs a week is perfect!!

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

Zaz wrote:
> To those of you who don't believe...
>
> As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
> my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
> Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple reason that I was sleeping
> all the time and couldn't bother with anything else than getting back into "real life" again.
>
> However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
> rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
> my chances of success, given my health problem, but here I am!
>
> So don't despair, anyone!
>
> Isabelle
> 162/155.8/130

wonderful news, Lee
Zaz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To those of you who don't believe...
>
> As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
> my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
> Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
reason
> that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything else
than
> getting back into "real life" again.
>
> However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
> rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
> my chances of
success,
> given my health problem, but here I am!
>
> So don't despair, anyone!
>
> Isabelle
> 162/155.8/130

Come join the "Happy Hypos" thread on the Amazing 40's board at WeightWatchers.com. We are all
members of weight watchers while being hypothyroid at the same time. There are lots of tips. The
main ones are: Eat enough so you don't go into starvation mode, drink plenty of water, exercise, and
eat all your fruits, vegetables and milk. You can also get a lot of information at
www.thyroid.about.com Losing weight is harder for us, but we can be just as successful as everyone
else. Congratulations on your weight loss. 6.2 lbs. in three weeks in great!

Jill

=====================

"Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...

As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that my
body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.

Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple reason that I was sleeping all
the time and couldn't bother with anything else than getting back into "real life" again.

However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my
chances of success, given my health problem, but here I am!

So don't despair, anyone!

Isabelle
162/155.8/130

Thansks, I'll go check these two sites out right away!

I.

"TexasGirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Come join the "Happy Hypos" thread on the Amazing 40's board at WeightWatchers.com. We are all
> members of weight watchers while being hypothyroid at the same time. There are lots of tips. The
> main ones are: Eat enough so you don't go into starvation mode, drink plenty of water, exercise,
> and eat all your fruits, vegetables and milk. You can also get
> lot of information at www.thyroid.about.com Losing weight is harder for
us,
> but we can be just as successful as everyone else. Congratulations on
your
> weight loss. 6.2 lbs. in three weeks in great!
>
> Jill
>
> =====================
>
> "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
>
> As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the effects of that problem is that
> my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
>
> Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
reason
> that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything else
than
> getting back into "real life" again.
>
> However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and having
> rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost 6.2 pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about
> my chances of
success,
> given my health problem, but here I am!
>
> So don't despair, anyone!
>
> Isabelle
> 162/155.8/130

Hi, I am happy to find you!!! I have been on WW for a month now and have only lost 1 lb. I am 43 and
also have hypothyroid, but am euthyriod with medication. I exercise 3-4 times a week, run and walk
combo on a treadmill for 50 min, burn 500 calories. I journal everything on the website, stick to
target points during the week and have about 10 flex points on weekends. Sometimes I use some of my
exercise points but not often. I know people say to eat more, but I am really afraid to do that
because I know I will gain wt. Thanks for the info about the thyroid website, I will check that out.
Do you think I should stick with this??? Has anyone out there gone a month without losing then all
of a sudden lost wt??? Jill

Jill Norton wrote:

> Hi, I am happy to find you!!! I have been on WW for a month now and have only lost 1 lb. I am 43
> and also have hypothyroid, but am euthyriod with medication. I exercise 3-4 times a week, run and
> walk combo on a treadmill for 50 min, burn 500 calories. I journal everything on the website,
> stick to target points during the week and have about 10 flex points on weekends. Sometimes I use
> some of my exercise points but not often. I know people say to eat more, but I am really afraid to
> do that because I know I will gain wt. Thanks for the info about the thyroid website, I will check
> that out. Do you think I should stick with this??? Has anyone out there gone a month without
> losing then all of a sudden lost wt??? Jill

Oh, yes! I don't have thyroid problems, so that may complicate things, but plateaux are quite
common. Hang in there! if you are eating fewer calories than you are using, it'll go eventually" are
you drinking enough water? That can make a biiiiig difference!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I hate to disagree -- but when you are hypothyroid and have not lost weight in over a month, chances
are that you won't unless you change something. I do agree with the water tip. I had to kick my
intake up to 11 glasses a day to get my weight loss moving. It is also good to vary your points from
time to time. I will actually add about 10 extra points on a single day when my weight loss stops.
The scale will spike for a couple of days and then go down and keep going down. I know it is tough
to eat because you are sure you will gain. I felt that way for a long time, but it is the very
thinking that will stop your weight loss efforts. What works for one person will not necessarily
work for another. So I recommend that you try to shake things up and try different tactics. When
hypo, you really have to coax that weight loss, but keep trying. You will find the right secret and
lose eventually. If I had to guess what is happening with you is that you are exercising a LOT so
you are probably not eating enough to compensate and have entered starvation mode. More exercise
also means that you need more water.

I pretty much gave up dieting years ago because I was starving and not losing. Then when I rejoined
WW and followed the plan, I was successful this time. Have lost over 50 lbs. since April and have
another 15 to go. You really MUST eat all of your fruits, vegetables, milk, and water. Calorie
counting and exercise by itself won't do it for us hypo folks.

Hang in there - you will find what works for you.

Jill

===========
"Jill Norton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:vGLVb.128401$U%5.609864@attbi_s03... Hi, I
am happy to find you!!! I have been on WW for a month now and have only lost 1 lb. I am 43 and also
have hypothyroid, but am euthyriod with medication. I exercise 3-4 times a week, run and walk combo
on a treadmill for 50 min, burn 500 calories. I journal everything on the website, stick to target
points during the week and have about 10 flex points on weekends. Sometimes I use some of my
exercise points but not often. I know people say to eat more, but I am really afraid to do that
because I know I will gain wt. Thanks for the info about the thyroid website, I will check that out.
Do you think I should stick with this??? Has anyone out there gone a month without losing then all
of a sudden lost wt??? Jill

"Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thansks, I'll go check these two sites out right away!
>
> I.
>

> "TexasGirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Come join the "Happy Hypos" thread on the Amazing 40's board at WeightWatchers.com. We are all
> > members of weight watchers while being hypothyroid at the same time. There are lots of tips. The
> > main ones
are:
> > Eat enough so you don't go into starvation mode, drink plenty of water, exercise, and eat all
> > your fruits, vegetables and milk. You can also
get
> > lot of information at www.thyroid.about.com Losing weight is harder for
> us,
> > but we can be just as successful as everyone else. Congratulations on
> your
> > weight loss. 6.2 lbs. in three weeks in great!
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > =====================
> >
> > "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
> >
> > As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the
effects
> > of that problem is that my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I have grown 35 pounds in the
> > past 4 months.
> >
> > Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
> reason
> > that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything else
> than
> > getting back into "real life" again.
> >
> > However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and
> > having rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost
6.2
> > pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my chances of
> success,
> > given my health problem, but here I am!
> >
> > So don't despair, anyone!
> >
> > Isabelle
> > 162/155.8/130

Hi,

I had plateaux before (about 3 years ago). At the time I had not been diagnosed, but looking back,
chances are that I was already having hypothyroidism.

I agree with Jill (the other Jill), that you might want to change some things. I don't really like
the "eating more" bit, but then again, it is true that it works. It's just hard to do...

Also, if you do exercise a lot, think on this: muscles weigh more than fat. Having your fat ratio
checked by a doctor could be a good idea. Maybe you are losing fat, and gaining muscle tone, which
would explain the plateau. Until your muscles are firmed up entirely, you might not notice any
change in your weight. Try to measure other parts: your waist, breast, etc. See if they change...

Happy to meet you!

Isabelle

> [...]
> > >
> > > "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the
> effects
> > > of that problem is that my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I
have
> > > grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
> > >
> > > Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
> > reason
> > > that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything
else
> > than
> > > getting back into "real life" again.
> > >
> > > However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and
> > > having rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost
> 6.2
> > > pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my chances of

Kate, I think I made an error on my post and sent you a reply instead of replying to the group. If
so, I apologize. Jill

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
online.co.uk... Jill Norton wrote:

> Hi, I am happy to find you!!! I have been on WW for a month now and have only lost 1 lb. I am 43
> and also have hypothyroid, but am euthyriod with medication. I exercise 3-4 times a week, run and
> walk combo on a
treadmill
> for 50 min, burn 500 calories. I journal everything on the website, stick to target points during
> the week and have about 10 flex points on
weekends.
> Sometimes I use some of my exercise points but not often. I know people
say
> to eat more, but I am really afraid to do that because I know I will gain wt. Thanks for the info
> about the thyroid website, I will check that out. Do you think I should stick with this??? Has
> anyone out there gone a
month
> without losing then all of a sudden lost wt??? Jill

Oh, yes! I don't have thyroid problems, so that may complicate things, but plateaux are quite
common. Hang in there! if you are eating fewer calories than you are using, it'll go eventually" are
you drinking enough water? That can make a biiiiig difference!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Jill, I am drinking all the water plus, probably 8 cups of water and 4-5 cups of other fluids, non
caloric. I do go up 10 points one day a week but still no loss. Let me tell you that I have always
been a runner and have always worked out 3-4 times a week. So, even though I am 30 lbs overwt, I am
mostly muscle. I also have always had a pretty good diet, (I'm a dietitian), not much junk food, my
biggest downfall is cocktails on weekends!!!! I have had this thyroid problem for about 10 years and
am on quite a hefty dose of synthroid. I tried the Atkins diet for two weeks also, followed it to
the tee and no wt loss on that either. I'm beginning to think I'm just immune to wt loss!!! I did
check out the thyroid website briefly, have you read her book on wt loss and thyroid disease? I
wonder if i should buy it. Thanks for listening. Jill

> [...]
> > >
> > > "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the
> effects
> > > of that problem is that my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I
have
> > > grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
> > >
> > > Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
> > reason
> > > that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything
else
> > than
> > > getting back into "real life" again.
> > >
> > > However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and
> > > having rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost
> 6.2
> > > pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my chances of

I said before no thyroid issues but if I do not eat enough I stop losing and
even gain so I really would try and eat all the points you are entitled to
to see what happens, Lee
> [...]
> > >
> > > "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the
> effects
> > > of that problem is that my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I
have
> > > grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
> > >
> > > Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
> > reason
> > > that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything
else
> > than
> > > getting back into "real life" again.
> > >
> > > However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and
> > > having rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost
> 6.2
> > > pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my chances of

Jill, I am sorry it has been so difficult. I know it is frustrating to try so hard and then have
others assume that you have not tried because you did not get results. There is a different
combination for each person and I cannot begin to tell you what the right combination is for you. I
did not lose on the Atkins diet either. While Weight Watchers works for me, it did not for Mary
Shoman, the sponsor of www.thyroid.about.com. Many hypos must limit their high-glycemic carbohydrate
intake and are insulin resistant. Fortunately, that does not seem to be a problem for me. The book
you mention describes how to choose which foods to eat if you are insulin resistant. Apparently,
carbohydrates cause a spike in blood sugar for some hypos and this prevents weight loss. I do not
understand it in detail. My point is that there are many different wrinkles to being hypo and the
correct diet for weight loss for one person is not the same as that needed by another. You need to
experiment and determine what works for you. I would recommend that you keep reading and work
through it. It will be worth it when you find that right combination for you.

I wish you the best in your journey.

Jill
=====================

"Jill Norton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NJVVb.259013$I06.2786086@attbi_s01... Jill,
> [...]

> > > "Zaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]... To those of you who don't believe...
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before, I have a thyroid gland problem. One of the
> effects
> > > of that problem is that my body has problem eliminating fat, thus I
have
> > > grown 35 pounds in the past 4 months.
> > >
> > > Mind you, I was not really watching what I was eating, for the simple
> > reason
> > > that I was sleeping all the time and couldn't bother with anything
else
> > than
> > > getting back into "real life" again.
> > >
> > > However, although still very sleepy, I can now perform normally if not extraordinarily, and
> > > having rejoined Weight Watchers, I have now lost
> 6.2
> > > pounds in 3 weeks. My doctor was very skeptic about my chances of

Jill,
Thanks for your support. I quess I just have to keep plugging away at it.
I'm hoping it will kick in at some point. Thanks for the info on the book,
I guess I won't buy it, I am not insulin resistant, so it probably won't
help.
jill
news:eek:[email protected]...