UK and Europe · Public discussion

Weight Considerations: Road Vs. Mountain

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 42 posts · 989 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 October 2005
Last activity
10 October 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
989
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    I know a 340 pound person who rides a stock Cannondale R800. 2002 year
    I think. Carbon fork with metal steerer. 23mm tires. Some kind of
    factory built Gipiemme wheels with a weird spoke lacing and oddly
    formed/machined rim with flats between spokes. He has had no wheel or
    equipment problems in the year or so he has ridden the bike. He is not
    a high mileage person but at his weight, the 1,000 miles he puts on the
    bike in a year would surface any catastrophic problems immediately.

    I ride a couple times a week with a 230 pound person who has ridden the
    same carbon tubed Specialized Epic with Dura Ace 8 speed and 32 hole
    rims and 20 mm tires since about the mid 1990s. He does change the
    tires when they wear out. The rest of the stuff stays the same. He is
    a couple thousand mile a year rider.

  2. "Nick Kew" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Since he [cross]posted to uk.rec.cycling, a UK-oriented reply seems
    perfectly in order. I have no idea what presence (if any) Dawes has
    in the .. ahem .. colonies.

    --
    not me guv

    Dawes does not currently export to the ..ahem.. *former* colonies. Nor are
    Dawes bicycles exported to the other 37 states.
    --
    mark

  3. Forgot to add that both my bikes run 23mm wide tires. I didn't like
    them as much at first, but I got used to them over the first few hundred
    miles. Mountain bike tires feel mushy to me now.

  4. Quoted message said:

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    Not at all a problem for mine. It's a fairly [censored] road bike. Cheap
    cromoly steel frame, 23mm tyres, cheapish wheels. Although it's a racer
    it's been bodged up to look like a tourer and I've had long me+luggage
    110kg/242lb trips on it with zero problems.

  5. Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.


    Since I have heard of road tandems where the combined weight of 2 people
    of 150lbs each would be 300 on 2 wheels I think you would be OK, but may
    get more than your fair share of pinch flats. You would also have to
    keep your tires near the max of 120 PSI. You might get more info by
    going to Sheldon Brown's web site.
    On this group you will probably get more advice than you need but at
    least you will get some.
    Good luck,
    Bill Baka

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    No. Just keep away from the very light top-end bikes. A basic aluminium or
    steel frame road/audax/tourer should cope without problem.

    Cheers, helen s

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Depends on the bike and the parts it is built up with.
    -------------
    Alex

  8. in message <[email hidden]>,

    (') said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Depends on the road bike. You don't want ultra-light frames and
    low-spoke-count wheels if you're /very/ heavy, but I have a 20 stone
    (280lb) friend who rides an Isaac carbon time trial bike and a
    Specialized Tarmac carbon race bike, and is devastatingly fast on both.

    Quoted message said:

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads,

    What on earth gave you that impression? It's quite false. Mountain Bikes,
    like road bikes, come in a variety of different builds, and many of them
    are definitely not designed to carry lardy gut buckets.

    Quoted message said:

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    If you're riding on the street you /definitely/ don't want a mountain
    bike, which isn't designed for street riding and is quite unsuitable for
    it.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    :: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
    :: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::

  9. in message <[email hidden]>,

    rdclark (') said:


    Tony Raven said:
    rdclark said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    I was
    > trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to
    > Road bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    Not at all. The main thing heavier riders need to concertn
    themselves with (on any kind of bike) is the wheels. Well-built
    36-spoke wheels will be adequate for riders much heavier than you.
    On a road bike, I would recommend looking for one that can
    accommodate 700x28c tires (some racing bikes don't have enough
    clearance for tires that wide).
    > This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    I'm 220lbs and happily ride 32 spoke wheels on my road and mountain
    bikes and I have 23mm road tyres that perform quite adequately. So
    you don't need anything special for that weight.

    I would still recommend buying a bike with sufficient tire clearance
    for 28's. To need it and discover you don't have it would be
    unpleasant.

    I can't imagine 'needing' 28s, at least not for riding on tarmac. They're
    huge, and will have a horrible effect on handling. 23 is enough for
    anyone.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
    resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

  10. Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    240 isn't a problem for a road bike, or really any kind of bike I know
    of (I'm in that range and have 5 bikes, 3 road, 2 mountain).

    It's particularly important to find a good bike shop, one that will
    understand the needs of a heavier rider. The major issue is wheels.
    Having well set up wheels (proper spoke tension, stress relieved) is
    important for all riders, but critical for heavy riders. The consequence
    of badly set up wheels is not so much safety as the nuisance of breaking
    spokes and developing wheel wobble.

    You may prefer somewhat wider tires than are typically sold with most
    road bikes. Ask the shop about the maximum tire size than can be fitted
    to any bike you're interested in.

  11. in message <[email hidden]>, Roger Zoul

    (') said:

    gds <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> There are plenty of folks 240+ who ride road bikes. Heck there is at
    :> least one Tour de France rider at 200+ lbs.

    Really? Who was that? Did he finish?

    Big Maggie, didn't finish this year. Won Paris-Roubaix last year (4th
    this year), has won a TdF stage (stage 19, 1998). Lives in Wales.
    Reputed to be a very nice guy.
    <URL:http://magnusbackstedt.crazynot2.com/site/>

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
    ;; the Worlock

  12. in message <[email hidden]>, Wheels by BFWG

    (') said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    I've been working my way down from 1/7 of a ton. . .approaching 1/8
    ton again. I like my 'cross bike. . . sort of the best of both worlds.
    Plenty of gear to get up hills, lots of room for FAT tires (I ride 35mm
    Panaracer Paselas on the road), plus lighter weight and more comfy than
    a dedicated mountain bike.

    This is ridiculous. Two out of the first three full suspension cross
    country bikes at this years' Mountain Bike World Cup final stage were
    under 20lbs (probably the third one was as well but I don't actually
    know that). Several of the hard tail bikes in that race were under
    17lbs; the two guys from my club who were racing were both on sub-19lb
    bikes. Is your cross bike really lighter than that?

    You simply /cannot/ make that sort of generalisation. Yes, the very
    lightest real usable road bikes are /probably/ lighter than the lightest
    usable mountain bike. But plenty of mountain bikes are a lot lighter
    than the average road bike.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Anagram: I'm soon broke.

  13. David L. Johnson said:

    I don't believe that mountain bikes are intrinsically more capable of
    handling larger riders. The tires and frames look beefier, but that is to
    deal with the terrain, not the rider. Mountain-bike wheels have the same
    range of spoke-counts as road wheels, and a 24-spoke mountain bike wheel
    will be no better for you than a 24-spoke road wheel.

    Actually, 559 rimmed wheels *are* inherently quite a bit stiffer and
    sturdier than 622-rimmed wheels (especially for a given weight), and
    probably more durable as well. 24-spoke will probably still be inadequate,
    but not by as large a margin.

    Jasper

  14. Peter B said:

    Nah, nah, nah nah..

    Is this helpful or is it blatant one-upmanship?

    Elaborate if you feel it is necessary, otherwise just be silent and let others
    give advice that the OP can use ;-)

    Ken in
    Canader

  15. Quoted message said:

    Can I get opinions on what the maximum weight is a person should be
    before road bikes become a bad idea?

    Since mountain bikes are better suited for carry heavier loads, I was
    trying to get an idea of how heavy is too heavy when it comes to Road
    bikes? Is 240lbs too heavy?

    This concerns street riding and nothing extreme.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
    pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

  16. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    a road bike that weighed 360
    pounds.

    And y'all are complaining about how heavy walmart bikes are. Brings new
    meaning to the phrase "rock 'n' roll"!

  17. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
    pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

    What did you use for the wheels? 36, 40, 48? Which rim?

    Jasper

  18. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
    pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

    Bicycling Mag did an article on riders who are roughly 400 lbs (IIRC).
    I've seen riders on trails near here who must be there or close.

  19. Paul Cassel <[email hidden]> wrote in news:nbidnSQ6KYpxy9XeRVn-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
    pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

    Bicycling Mag did an article on riders who are roughly 400 lbs (IIRC).
    I've seen riders on trails near here who must be there or close.

    I started riding my road bike after I hit 295lbs. I wasn't that big for
    long. Year and a half later, and I'm down to 220.

    And I ride a Reynolds 531 steel frame with 36 spokes in the rear/32 in the
    front.

  20. "Ken Pisichko" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter B said:

    Nah, nah, nah nah..

    Is this helpful or is it blatant one-upmanship?

    Elaborate if you feel it is necessary, otherwise just be silent and let


    others

    Quoted message said:

    give advice that the OP can use ;-)

    Sorry Ma'am.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.