weight diff Duro vs. Gazz

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by The Munieer, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. The Munieer

    The Munieer Guest

    Hey,

    What's the weight difference on the 24" Duro to the 24" Gazz 3.0"?

    Thanks

    --
    The Munieer - AKA Teachndad

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

  2. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    bump cause I wanna know too

    --
    Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  3. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    lleberg wrote:
    > *Gazza: 1400g
    >
    > Can't find anything about the duro, pretty lousy they don't spec the
    > weight of the tyres at duro.com... *

    Don't go by the marketing weight that a manufacturer gives.
    Manufacturers of bike tires are notorious for lying about weight and
    size.

    The only way to know the real weight is to weigh a new tire yourself or
    find the weights from a third party that you trust.

    'go-ride.com' (http://www.go-ride.com/) has weighed the 24x3 Gazz and
    says it's 1500 grams. Their chart is 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/1pzj).
    But having the weight be a nice round 1500 makes me wonder how accurate
    the measurement is. Unfortunately they don't have the specs on the Duro
    tire.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  6. gbarnes

    gbarnes Guest

    I have personally weighed a new 26 x 3" Gazz at 1636 grams.

    How's that for NOT helpful?

    PS -

    How bout starting a database of legit weights? I have this so far:

    Item Weight (grams)
    Nokian 26x3 1636
    Alex 26" 768
    Spokes - 26" 282
    Rim strip - 26" 18
    Tube- IRC 26 474
    Thomson seatpost 258
    Profile hub 596
    Profile crank - LH 170 294
    Profile crank - RH 170 320
    Profile bearing x2 124
    26" GB4 frame - .049" 1268
    Primo Viking clamp 110

    --
    gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

    George C. Barnes IV
    GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    http://www.gb4mfg.com/
    gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

  7. gbarnes wrote:
    > *How bout starting a database of legit weights?*

    Maxxis Creepy Crawler 20(19) x 2.5" is 1000g (+/- 10g). I tried
    compiling a similar list to put up at www.unicycle.2ya.com but wasn't up
    to the task. I'd still love to see someone do it. I think with our
    help, Klaas would be our man. :)

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'My big movie (51MB, DivX)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

  8. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Andrew,

    I forgot about this page at the toronto unicycle club. It might save
    you some work and just link to your site. I can't tell if it's up to
    date, though.

    http://www.torontounicyclists.ca/tire.htm

    Everyone,

    Just thought of this. I will call uni.com next week and just ask them if
    they can weigh it. If that's possible, then I will post the weight here
    for future reference.

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  9. billham

    billham Guest

    I'll taking off my used Duro and putting on my Gazz soon. I can weigh
    the duro once it's off, but don't know how much weight has been lost
    from knobby wear. Would that be helpful to you?

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  10. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for a
    Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls and
    turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side dropping
    down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also FEELS
    lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since I have
    no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the bomb.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  11. markf

    markf Guest

  12. uniracer

    uniracer Guest

    i have ridden both and the gazz does offer more traction and cush but
    yes the duro is more forgiving in the turning area. id take my gazz 3.0
    and put it back on if it wasnt on my bike. as for weight i have no exact
    measurement but if you want light yet well knobbied, go duro because it
    is noticeably lighter but the gazz is still the king:D

    --
    uniracer - redneck eh?
    uniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/403

  13. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *I'll taking off my used Duro and putting on my Gazz soon. I can
    > weigh the duro once it's off, but don't know how much weight has been
    > lost from knobby wear. Would that be helpful to you?
    >
    > Bill *

    Bill,

    thanks. I should be able to call the Drummond family and see about
    weighing the tire this week. They might have them, even if they aren't
    on the website. If I don't post a weight, later, go ahead and weigh it
    when you get around to it. Even without the knobs, it could help.

    vivalargo wrote:
    > *I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for
    > a Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls
    > and turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side
    > dropping down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also
    > FEELS lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since
    > I have no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the
    > bomb.
    >
    > JL *

    John,

    Your comments regarding the hopping pushes me farther to try the Duro.
    We both ride similar terrain, anyways. One of these days we will
    finally ride together. Still on injured reserve, though:( .

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  14. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    After checking the UK Uni.com, which BTW, shows the weights on its
    website,

    The Gazz comes in at 1475 grams

    The Duro/Contra Identtiti 24 x 3.0 (which, if I understand the
    description of the Duro with the KH MUNI 2005, is the same as the
    Contra) comes in at 1495 grams.

    Hmmmmm.

    Try to find a distributer... for the Duro in the US.

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  15. Just for reference, we do actually weigh all or our tyres instead of
    going on what the suppliers say that the items weigh.... if you are
    wondering they always quote a lighter weight than is real.
    I know that the tyres are all up to date and we have a spreadsheet with
    ALL of the tyres already on it with sizes and weights. I will see if my
    not very obliging labour force (that is a joke by the way!) will let me
    upload it on to the site and I will post the link for you all.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  16. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    The Duro is now being sold at Unicycle.com under the name of Arrow
    Racing Savage.

    Otherwise, have Darren Bedford send you one down. He just sent me two
    of the old Duro Leopards.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  17. The Munieer

    The Munieer Guest

    vivalargo wrote:
    > *I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for
    > a Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls
    > and turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side
    > dropping down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also
    > FEELS lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since
    > I have no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the
    > bomb.
    >
    > JL *

    John,

    What PSI are you running in your Duro? I run my gazz at 17.5 and that
    works for me. I wonder if I run it at lower pressures than you, I might
    not get the same performance.

    --

  18. The Munieer wrote:
    > *John,
    >
    > What PSI are you running in your Duro? I run my gazz at 17.5 and that
    > works for me. I wonder if I run it at lower pressures than you, I
    > might not get the same performance. *

    Try different pressures a lot.
    That's what I like about the Duro the most. It *seems* like there is
    more "range" depending on how much air pressure is added. With the Gazz,
    I felt mush, cushy, rock.
    With the Duro, I get dead, mush, bouncy, springy, rock. I don't think I
    ever really go over the delayed reaction that the Gazz seems to have. I
    would UPD after continuing to pedal once I thought I cleared a bump -
    only to find out that the tire stored the energy and released it (what
    seems like) a full second later.

    I just finished swapping the Gazz for a Duro.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)