weight diff Duro vs. Gazz

The Munieer

Guest
Hey,

What's the weight difference on the 24" Duro to the 24" Gazz 3.0"?

Thanks

--
The Munieer - AKA Teachndad

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

lleberg wrote:
> *Gazza: 1400g
>
> Can't find anything about the duro, pretty lousy they don't spec the
> weight of the tyres at duro.com... *

Don't go by the marketing weight that a manufacturer gives.
Manufacturers of bike tires are notorious for lying about weight and
size.

The only way to know the real weight is to weigh a new tire yourself or
find the weights from a third party that you trust.

'go-ride.com' (http://www.go-ride.com/) has weighed the 24x3 Gazz and
says it's 1500 grams. Their chart is 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/1pzj).
But having the weight be a nice round 1500 makes me wonder how accurate
the measurement is. Unfortunately they don't have the specs on the Duro
tire.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

I have personally weighed a new 26 x 3" Gazz at 1636 grams.

How's that for NOT helpful?

PS -

How bout starting a database of legit weights? I have this so far:

Item Weight (grams)
Nokian 26x3 1636
Alex 26" 768
Spokes - 26" 282
Rim strip - 26" 18
Tube- IRC 26 474
Thomson seatpost 258
Profile hub 596
Profile crank - LH 170 294
Profile crank - RH 170 320
Profile bearing x2 124
26" GB4 frame - .049" 1268
Primo Viking clamp 110

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

gbarnes wrote:
> *How bout starting a database of legit weights?*

Maxxis Creepy Crawler 20(19) x 2.5" is 1000g (+/- 10g). I tried
compiling a similar list to put up at www.unicycle.2ya.com but wasn't up
to the task. I'd still love to see someone do it. I think with our
help, Klaas would be our man. :)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'My big movie (51MB, DivX)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

Andrew,

I forgot about this page at the toronto unicycle club. It might save
you some work and just link to your site. I can't tell if it's up to
date, though.

http://www.torontounicyclists.ca/tire.htm

Everyone,

Just thought of this. I will call uni.com next week and just ask them if
they can weigh it. If that's possible, then I will post the weight here
for future reference.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

I'll taking off my used Duro and putting on my Gazz soon. I can weigh
the duro once it's off, but don't know how much weight has been lost
from knobby wear. Would that be helpful to you?

Bill

--
billham

Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
practices.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for a
Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls and
turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side dropping
down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also FEELS
lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since I have
no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the bomb.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

i have ridden both and the gazz does offer more traction and cush but
yes the duro is more forgiving in the turning area. id take my gazz 3.0
and put it back on if it wasnt on my bike. as for weight i have no exact
measurement but if you want light yet well knobbied, go duro because it
is noticeably lighter but the gazz is still the king:D

--
uniracer - redneck eh?
uniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/403

billham wrote:
> *I'll taking off my used Duro and putting on my Gazz soon. I can
> weigh the duro once it's off, but don't know how much weight has been
> lost from knobby wear. Would that be helpful to you?
>
> Bill *

Bill,

thanks. I should be able to call the Drummond family and see about
weighing the tire this week. They might have them, even if they aren't
on the website. If I don't post a weight, later, go ahead and weigh it
when you get around to it. Even without the knobs, it could help.

vivalargo wrote:
> *I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for
> a Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls
> and turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side
> dropping down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also
> FEELS lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since
> I have no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the
> bomb.
>
> JL *

John,

Your comments regarding the hopping pushes me farther to try the Duro.
We both ride similar terrain, anyways. One of these days we will
finally ride together. Still on injured reserve, though:( .

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

After checking the UK Uni.com, which BTW, shows the weights on its
website,

The Gazz comes in at 1475 grams

The Duro/Contra Identtiti 24 x 3.0 (which, if I understand the
description of the Duro with the KH MUNI 2005, is the same as the
Contra) comes in at 1495 grams.

Hmmmmm.

Try to find a distributer... for the Duro in the US.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Just for reference, we do actually weigh all or our tyres instead of
going on what the suppliers say that the items weigh.... if you are
wondering they always quote a lighter weight than is real.
I know that the tyres are all up to date and we have a spreadsheet with
ALL of the tyres already on it with sizes and weights. I will see if my
not very obliging labour force (that is a joke by the way!) will let me
upload it on to the site and I will post the link for you all.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

vivalargo wrote:
> *I must be one of the few MUni riders out there to swap out a Gaz for
> a Duro, which I vastly prefer. The Duro has a rounder profile, rolls
> and turns easier on steep technical terrain, grips great while side
> dropping down rock slabs and gives good rebound for hopping. It also
> FEELS lighter than a Gaz, but that's strictly a subjective thing since
> I have no scale. The Gaz is cushier, but beyond that, the Duro is the
> bomb.
>
> JL *

John,

What PSI are you running in your Duro? I run my gazz at 17.5 and that
works for me. I wonder if I run it at lower pressures than you, I might
not get the same performance.

--

The Munieer wrote:
> *John,
>
> What PSI are you running in your Duro? I run my gazz at 17.5 and that
> works for me. I wonder if I run it at lower pressures than you, I
> might not get the same performance. *

Try different pressures a lot.
That's what I like about the Duro the most. It *seems* like there is
more "range" depending on how much air pressure is added. With the Gazz,
I felt mush, cushy, rock.
With the Duro, I get dead, mush, bouncy, springy, rock. I don't think I
ever really go over the delayed reaction that the Gazz seems to have. I
would UPD after continuing to pedal once I thought I cleared a bump -
only to find out that the tire stored the energy and released it (what
seems like) a full second later.

I just finished swapping the Gazz for a Duro.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)