Road Cycling · Public discussion

weight distribution: road vs. mountain bike

Started by catzz66 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 606 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 February 2006
Last activity
22 February 2006
Original author
catzz66
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
606
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was riding in the slick roads this morning and it does not rain all
    that frequently where I live. When I started riding again a year and
    several months ago, I started out on a mountain bike but fairly quickly
    switched to a road bike 100%. It seems like my road bike is a whole
    lot more secure on the wet roads than the mountain bike was. I know
    that there are a lot of factors involved besides weight distribution,
    but I am curious if having more weight on the front wheel of a road bike
    and having more "trail" in the design accounts for most of it. I was
    running street tires on the mountain bike and am running slicks or near
    slicks on the road bike. I am comparing a Trek 4300 mtn and a
    Specialized Allez road bike, but I don't have the Trek anymore.

    Any thoughts?

  2. catzz66 said:

    I was riding in the slick roads this morning and it does not rain all
    that frequently where I live. When I started riding again a year and
    several months ago, I started out on a mountain bike but fairly quickly
    switched to a road bike 100%. It seems like my road bike is a whole
    lot more secure on the wet roads than the mountain bike was. I know
    that there are a lot of factors involved besides weight distribution,
    but I am curious if having more weight on the front wheel of a road bike
    and having more "trail" in the design accounts for most of it. I was
    running street tires on the mountain bike and am running slicks or near
    slicks on the road bike. I am comparing a Trek 4300 mtn and a
    Specialized Allez road bike, but I don't have the Trek anymore.

    Any thoughts?

    How can you tell without crashing?

  3. Peter Cole said:
    catzz66 said:

    I was riding in the slick roads this morning and it does not rain all
    that frequently where I live. When I started riding again a year and
    several months ago, I started out on a mountain bike but fairly
    quickly switched to a road bike 100%. It seems like my road bike is
    a whole lot more secure on the wet roads than the mountain bike was.
    I know that there are a lot of factors involved besides weight
    distribution, but I am curious if having more weight on the front
    wheel of a road bike and having more "trail" in the design accounts
    for most of it. I was running street tires on the mountain bike and
    am running slicks or near slicks on the road bike. I am comparing a
    Trek 4300 mtn and a Specialized Allez road bike, but I don't have the
    Trek anymore.

    Any thoughts?

    How can you tell without crashing?

    I tried doing a track stand while balancing the Allez on two bathroom
    scales, but that didn't work out too well. =] Plus, I no longer have
    the Trek.

  4. "catzz66" wrote: I tried doing a track stand while balancing the Allez on
    two bathroom scales, but that didn't work out too well. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I suggest you get someone ELSE to read the scales, while you concentrate on
    balancing the bike. It's especially hard to read the scale under the rear
    wheel while doing a track stand. ;-)

  5. Leo Lichtman said:

    "catzz66" wrote: I tried doing a track stand while balancing the Allez on
    two bathroom scales, but that didn't work out too well. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I suggest you get someone ELSE to read the scales, while you concentrate on
    balancing the bike. It's especially hard to read the scale under the rear
    wheel while doing a track stand. ;-)

    Yep, there's gotta be a better way! =]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.