weight gain...weight loss...

Goldi

Feb 20, 2004
hey all!

i'm from the UK and its started getting nice weather again so I've upped my cycling.

I have a couple of questions...
while I wasn't doing much cycling I dropped my calorie intake quite low to counter act the lesser exercise and I was going through a stressful time so food wasn't really my first priority. I have recently tried to improve what I eat so its more and better food and the occasional treat and now the weather is good I'm cycling more (mountain bike) doing at least 8.5miles 4-5 times a week. I also walk to make sure I get a bit of variation and I do about 5-10miles walking a day.

so why have i gained weight even though I am eating better foods, not massive amounts and exercising more...? it makes no sense to me...!

Goldi said:
hey all!

i'm from the UK and its started getting nice weather again so I've upped my cycling.

I have a couple of questions...
while I wasn't doing much cycling I dropped my calorie intake quite low to counter act the lesser exercise and I was going through a stressful time so food wasn't really my first priority. I have recently tried to improve what I eat so its more and better food and the occasional treat and now the weather is good I'm cycling more (mountain bike) doing at least 8.5miles 4-5 times a week. I also walk to make sure I get a bit of variation and I do about 5-10miles walking a day.

so why have i gained weight even though I am eating better foods, not massive amounts and exercising more...? it makes no sense to me...!

It could be that your metabolism has slowed down in the off season with you eating less. If you want to try a healthy way to boost your metabolism through hidration then check this product out http://www.xoomaworldwide.com/x2olifestyle it's only 9.99 for a 2 week supply and 25 bucks a month after that.

Mike5 said:
If you want to try a healthy way to boost your metabolism through hidration then check this product out http://www.xoomaworldwide.com/x2olifestyle it's only 9.99 for a 2 week supply and 25 bucks a month after that.
And if you believe that, I have some ocean front property for sale in Nebraska.

It is true, though, that metabolism slows down if you exercise less and eat less. That is why reducing the amount you eat without increasing physical activity is not a successful way of loosing weight. Diet and exercise are important. One or the other alone is not enough.

thanks for answering guys. I'm not too sure about taking anything - I'd rather not mess up my body's balance. Is there a way I could boost my metabolism without 'shocking' my body too much? Should I up exercise? Up my food? Drop my food or have I *shudder* done permenant damage?

Goldi said:
Drop my food or have I *shudder* done permenant damage?
What damage?

You have done nothing wrong in the sense of damage.

First, it is really difficult for anyone on this site to speculate what is going on with you without knowing some specific details and then perhaps we/you can look at a few paths to take in order to achieve your goals.

I have been deeply involved in consulting along the lines of fitness and weightloss for over 20 years both for comptetitors and the average person seeking to improve fitness. I say that only to state that I honestly don't want to get too bogged down in discussions here, but I thought I would step in only because I would hate to see you panic that you have done something horrible. You have not.

There are a number of things that could have increased your weight and not knowing you on a personal level and the span of time that you gained weight it is even more difficult to say.

The first thing is using body composition to make the better judgement over the use of scales. (bodyweight may be of more importance if you are preparing for competition, but if not go with body composition)

You stated you were sedentary and eating less, but then increased activity and also increased food intake. You state that the food you are eating is better quality with the occassional treat.

Again it is hard to make a judgement based on the information, but it is possible going from a sedentary state to training that there was some hypertrophy in muscle tissue, there may be a possibility that you have increased in fluid retention from the types and amount of food you are eating. My point is that there may be several reasons and yes one of those could be that you increased bodyfat.

Questions:
What is the time frame of your increase of bodyweight?
Did happen quickly? (fluid retention)
Was there a gradual increase a over a span of weeks / months? (hypertrophy or fat gain)
Do you feel that your skin is thicker than before?
Or do you feel that your skin has tightened a little since you started back training?

You see there a number of things to consider when answering your initial question and then you can start making a plan to achieve your goals.

Best wishes

Goldi said:
thanks for answering guys. I'm not too sure about taking anything - I'd rather not mess up my body's balance. Is there a way I could boost my metabolism without 'shocking' my body too much? Should I up exercise? Up my food? Drop my food or have I *shudder* done permenant damage?
I agree that you are smart not to take anything. Weight loss products are not effective for long term use, and many of them are dangerous. The good news is that you have not done permenant damage.

Weight, in isolation, is not very meaningful. What is important is the percent body fat, but that is difficult to measure. Muscle is more dense than fat, so if you increase your exercise, you indeed could gain weight, but you would be loosing fat and gaining muscle, which is a good thing. Also, how much weight gain over what period of time are we talking about?

Because muscle is more dense than fat, a better measure of fitness is your waistline. If your waistline is decreasing, even though your weight is increasing, that is another indicator that what is happening is that you are loosing fat and increasing muscle. Again, that is a good thing.

As far as eating, keep a balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Fad diets that totally eliminate fat or carbohydrates are effective in the short term, but are not good in the long term. On average, it takes 13 to 15 calories per day per pound of body weight (28 to 33 calories per kg) to maintain that weight. The low end is if you are inactive, and the high end is if you exercise moderately and regularly. The high end goes up with the intensity of exercise, but for the amount of exercise you describe, the midpoint of that range is probably about right.

If you are overweight, and you reduce the amount of food you eat too quickly, the body will compensate by slowing down the metabolism. Exercise will help keep the metabolism up, but it still might not be optimal. Some people find that keeping track of everything they eat on a daily basis helps them to stay on target. Cutting out 150 calories per day should result in about a 10 pound weight loss. It is far better to focus on losing 10 pounds at a time than on losing all of the excess weight at once. Once you have lost eight to 10 pounds, reduce your daily intake by another 150 calories and keep going until you reach your ideal weight.

Too much exercise is not usually a problem. The only time exercise can be a problem is if your percent body fat is already low, and all of your excess weight is muscle. In that case, you are not really obese. That is why weight, in isolation, tells us nothing about fitness. There is a varient of anorexia nervosa where people eat normal amounts of food but exercise obsessively. Their caloric intake, even though "normal" for inactive or moderately active people, is not enough to keep up with the demand, and serious health problems can occur.

If you do want to loose muscle mass (and I cannot think of a good reason for doing so), cut back on both the exercise and caloric intake, but in general, this is a bad idea. The one thing you should never do is to cut back on exercise without cutting back on caloric intake (unless you are one of those anorexia nervosa varient atients). For most people, reducing exercise without reducing caloric intake is a good way to gain weight in a hurry and loose fitness in the process.

I type slower than Felt Rider. I did not see his response when I started my previous post. I agree with everything he said, and I apologize for the duplications in my post.

RickF said:
I type slower than Felt Rider. I did not see his response when I started my previous post. I agree with everything he said, and I apologize for the duplications in my post.
It is good that there can be 2 of us to confirm the same principles.
I for one appreciate your duplication.