Weight Lifting & Cycling??

Status
Not open for further replies.
zakeen wrote, i replied with >>

But I always thought cycling was low wieghts and high reps! so as I stated before doing low weigths and high reps would benifit me. as I still believe it has

>>Cycling (endurance), is low force and high reps. It's quite possible to actually calculate the forces at the pedal (if you're interested). As a ballpark figure, at ~ 32 km/hr on level ground, an average sized (male) will need to apply < 9 kg of force. At world record pace for the 4-km pursuit, that force will rise to about 35 kg. I'm positive that any of us can produce those forces, and the equivalent power outputs. At theWR 4km pursuit pace, the power that Boardman produced was ~ 520 W. Admitedly, some (generally small, e.g., < 60kg) untrained (doesn't exercise) or recreational females, might not be able to produce that power (but obviously, the womens pursuit record will require substantially less power). Therefore, just about everyone else will be able to produce and exceed these powers (and the associated forces).

>>a lot of the adaptations that occur within the muscle with training are only *specific* to the joint angle and velocity at which they're trained. One of the classic examples is to get someone to do some weight training using a specific exercise. Over a period of time, they rapidly increase the amount of weight that they can lift. Then, after a training period, they are asked to perform another exercise, that uses the same muscle but in a different manner. When this compared to the pre weight training control, there is no difference. They're using the same muscle, but at different velocities and angles of movement there's no crossover -- this ties in with your theory of why XC skiers who are fitter than cyclist X (fitness measured by e.g., VO2 max, LT), but the less fit cyclist beats the fitter skier.

>>even with the exercises are very similar, there's no cross over to the main sport

I always thought I was special! JOKE!

>>i'm sure you are! we all are :)

I am not untrained and thats for sure!!

Would someone be untrained if they were not at there best??

>>when i mention untrained i mean either no exercise whatsoever, or maybe goes to the gym (e.g.) twice a month

Well you are right! I have no facts on paper, only results. I dont know which one is important for you but I know which one is important for me!

>>I understand, realise and fully appreciate that results are what are important to an athlete (i'm one too!).

>>However, the idea of having some concrete facts (e.g., power output) is that you can eliminate variables that affect performance. For, e.g., my PB for a 10mile TT was done at a lower power output than a slightly slower TT. This was due to differences in environmental conditions that weren't readily apparent. Without the power data i wouldn't have known which effort was really my 'best' one.

I have never ever done any tests on myself, dont know my Vo2max,LT,etc.... I dont really want to either!

I dont want to be in a race and see my heart rate and say:

Oh my god I am over my LT level! I will blow any second!
or
this is my max I cant go any faster!

It creates limits. I have no limits because I dont know them.

>>i feel that this is a misnomer. I don't understand why you feel that knowing various facts limits you in some way?

>>we all ride to our limits, and i suspect that you limit yourself too. However, rather than using data obtained via e.g., a power meter or HR monitor, you use perceived exertion.

>>if you (or i or anyone!) was to somehow 'unplug' our brains and actually ride at our limits, we'd have to stop after about 60-secs. Very quickly, we learn that we have to pace ourselves, whether this is done with meters or with a brain makes little or no difference.

>>even with (e.g.) a power meter, it's often used *with* perceived exertion levels, so as your fitness increases you ride at a higher power output.

But I do a lot of one legs on the mag in a hard gear. I have built up and I do about 500 in a row, with mag setting the hardest and in 53,19. This is a form of the weights I do. Low weights and high reps! I found this a huge difference in my performance.

>>Are you talking about one - legged cycle training? This has been discussed fairly recently in another thread. I don't believe that there's any benefit to this mode of exercise (unless you only have one leg).

>>When you mentioned weights, i assumed that you meant with some form of gym equipment. However, it's highly unlikely that one legged cycling will increase your strength. As the velocity of movement increases (e.g., pedalling a bike versus doing squats), the force applied decreases. This is known as Hills Force - Velocity Curve. As the velocity increases, muscles can't fire at a fast enough rate to produce the force needed.

>>It's perhaps easier to think of it like this: if you lie down on the floor with your feet facing an inmovable object such as a wall, and then press against it with all your strength, the force will be far higher than that, that can be achieved by pressing on the pedals (even at low cadences such as 30 revs/min)

Also situps squats and calf rasies. but you telling me this is wrong!

>>yes

I am in complete shock someone at your level at coaching just says NO. Sure you have done tests and have results but have you made the right tests in all areas?? There are so many different ways of doing weights did you test every single different type of weight session for cycling, or just one or two??

>>i've looked at the research within this area. There's stacks of it. This is what is known as 'Specificity'. As previously mentioned there's little or no crossover in different exercise modalities. You've also made that assumption with the XC skier.

The core body must be very riged(did I spell that right?)or strong,stiff) if you fail in this department it is like riding a soft frame and you lose power.(Wish my bike frame was a little less stiff! I have broken 4 this year!) I believe you must do some form of situps to strengthen this!

am I right in saying you truely believe that all training should be done on a bike for a road racer??

>>Yes. There's some exceptions to this however, e.g., you crash and break a leg, and in the rehab process you might need to do weights to offset any atrophy that occured while you were immobolised.

>>There's *some* evidence that weight training might also offset some clinical conditions, e.g., osteoporosis. However, the research is somewhat equivocal on this and it might not be the case.

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
misnomer

Sorry dont understand that word!

Are you talking about one - legged cycle training? This has been discussed fairly recently in another thread. I don't believe that there's any benefit to this mode of exercise (unless you only have one leg).

I cant believe you said that! This is one of my KEYS to training! I have done a full weeks of one legs! and nothing else! Completing this create the perfect pedally strock! Of pushing down and pulling up! You do heaps of this and ride up hill sitting down, you will fly up! Its the only way to force the leg to pull up while cycling!

When you mentioned weights, i assumed that you meant with some form of gym equipment.

I have never done weights in a gym! Low weight high reps are done with the body or on the bike! I would not recoment someone to go to the gym!

However, it's highly unlikely that one legged cycling will increase your strength.

Really??

Does riding up a hill increase strength??

I know some people that cant do 100 cycles of one leg! because of the weakness of the pull section in there pedalling!

You dont think one leg would increase the ability to do more cycles?? which would increase the strenght.

I feel that this is a misnomer. I don't understand why you feel that knowing various facts limits you in some way?

I have seen so many Pro riders race on there heart rates. They see a heart rate and freak out! Or they are not doing well and see there heart rate is low and pull out saying I just could not get my heart rate up!

It seems when the body is pushing itself and the brain just wants any excuss to have a break or stop! this is were I think the mind is so much more powerful then the body! But when the mind knows of a limit the human respects that limits and accepts the second position because the mind is telling them, thats all your good enough to do, cause thats what your test results say!

Think about it.............its going right of the topic!

I do find you would have problems understanding this, as you and I are totally different in the way we think!

If I am pissing you off please let me know as that is not my intention here, if I have I am sorry! If you want me to stop! Tell me!

Its funny thou!
You make money from coaching!
I make money from racing!

But, as you go by paper and as I go on personal experiences and what works for me, we will never come to an agreement. So I dont mind ending it!

But you really think there is no point in one legged cycling????? I truely find that amazing and I will have to find that thread you mentioned to have a read!! I can feel the differences!

zakeen wrote, i replied with >>

I cant believe you said that! This is one of my KEYS to training! I have done a full weeks of one legs! and nothing else! Completing this create the perfect pedally strock! Of pushing down and pulling up! You do heaps of this and ride up hill sitting down, you will fly up! Its the only way to force the leg to pull up while cycling!

>>There research on how people pedal by Coyle et al, and Martin et al. Using force instrumented pedals, research shows that riders push down, generating greatest forces around 3 o'clock, and don't apply much, if any force on the upstroke (recovery phase). The work by Coyle, showed that when two groups of cyclists were compared (elite versus regional level), the elite group generated more force on the downstroke, and less on the upstroke, i.e., the lower fitness riders produced more force on the upstroke.

>>all that actually matters (assuming you want to be as fit as possible) is that you generate more power

I have never done weights in a gym! Low weight high reps are done with the body or on the bike! I would not recoment someone to go to the gym!

>>usually when people talk about weights they mean lifting weights in a gym (etc).

Really??
>>strength is the maximum force or tension generated by a muscle or group of muscles. Maximum forces can *only* be generated at very low or zero velocity. The velocity of pedalling is way to fast to induce these changes (and thus forces are very low).

Does riding up a hill increase strength??

>>No. It might (it should) increase fitness by forcing you to ride at higher power outputs, but in people who are trained it won't increase strength (unless perhaps you have some form of functional disability)

I know some people that cant do 100 cycles of one leg! because of the weakness of the pull section in there pedalling!

You dont think one leg would increase the ability to do more cycles?? which would increase the strenght.

>>strength has a specific definition (see above, and previously in the thread).

I have seen so many Pro riders race on there heart rates. They see a heart rate and freak out! Or they are not doing well and see there heart rate is low and pull out saying I just could not get my heart rate up!

>>If you exceed some sort of level you *will* crack (eventually). Sure, with a bit of encouragement you can get people to do a bit more work, but if you go to hard you will eventually fatigue (no matter how much you mentally try to overcome the pain).

It seems when the body is pushing itself and the brain just wants any excuss to have a break or stop! this is were I think the mind is so much more powerful then the body! But when the mind knows of a limit the human respects that limits and accepts the second position because the mind is telling them, thats all your good enough to do, cause thats what your test results say!

>>You're right most of us don't like (intense) pain and we want to ease up. A lot of us fight through and battle the pain. However, it's impossible to completely ignore the pain and/or keep racing. If *you* could put the pain to one side and not accept your limits then surely, you'd have been able to win the TdF.

Think about it.............its going right of the topic!

I do find you would have problems understanding this, as you and I are totally different in the way we think!

>>i race, i know pain. :)

If I am pissing you off please let me know as that is not my intention here, if I have I am sorry! If you want me to stop! Tell me!

>>not at all

Its funny thou!
You make money from coaching!
I make money from racing!

But, as you go by paper and as I go on personal experiences and what works for me, we will never come to an agreement. So I dont mind ending it!

>>Just because i've tested certain physiological criteria and know certain things about myself, doesn't mean i don't try to push my limits. I'm continually trying to improve and push that bit harder and set myself new goals. I just like to do it in a quantifiable way

But you really think there is no point in one legged cycling????? I truely find that amazing and I will have to find that thread you mentioned to have a read!! I can feel the differences!

>>I don't see any point to it whatsoever, unless you're one legged, or compete in one legged bike races.

Ric

From the literature study I did at the end of 2003 I concluded that weight training, 30 reps at rather high speed [and more guidelines], is more effective for trained bike riders than for untrained bike riders. For untrained the biggest progress can be made by increasing the mitochondria density and capitalisation degree by endurance training. For more trained bike riders the increase of the MLSS power output is more determining for increasing their race performance. This MLSS power output can be increased by combining endurance, interval and weight training.

From the study I did the group of riders who increase the amount of endurance training [10 hrs / week] (intervals included) tends to have lower max power output during a short time all out test. The riders which replaced 4.5 hrs of endurance by weight training tens to increase max power output during this short time all out test.

So I advise (and lean how to do) weight training in the all season training programmes. I’m convinced the Rabobank TT3 team is taking profit from that.

The best to you www.webtrainer.nl

Originally posted by WebTrainer
From the literature study I did at the end of 2003 I concluded that weight training, 30 reps at rather high speed [and more guidelines], is more effective for trained bike riders than for untrained bike riders. For untrained the biggest progress can be made by increasing the mitochondria density and capitalisation degree by endurance training. For more trained bike riders the increase of the MLSS power output is more determining for increasing their race performance. This MLSS power output can be increased by combining endurance, interval and weight training.

From the study I did the group of riders who increase the amount of endurance training [10 hrs / week] (intervals included) tends to have lower max power output during a short time all out test. The riders which replaced 4.5 hrs of endurance by weight training tens to increase max power output during this short time all out test.

So I advise (and lean how to do) weight training in the all season training programmes. I’m convinced the Rabobank TT3 team is taking profit from that.

whilst i don't disagree that weight training will possibly help short high intensity exercise, how would that help performance in road/endurance cycling, which isn't going to be limited by 30-sec efforts?

in the study, did the control group complete short high intensity efforts (similar to that tested?).

as force isn't a limiting factor in endurance cycling, and most people can generate the power of elite riders, but are instead limited by their ability to sustain sub maximal or maximal efforts (rather than peak efforts).

In your study, during the short term power test, wasn't cadence limited to 50 revs/min, or am i thinking of another study?

Ric

whilst i don't disagree that weight training will possibly help short high intensity exercise, how would that help performance in road/endurance cycling, which isn't going to be limited by 30-sec efforts?

in the study, did the control group complete short high intensity efforts (similar to that tested?).

as force isn't a limiting factor in endurance cycling, and most people can generate the power of elite riders, but are instead limited by their ability to sustain sub maximal or maximal efforts (rather than peak efforts).

In your study, during the short term power test, wasn't cadence limited to 50 revs/min, or am i thinking of another study?

Ric

Ric, I will show you some information on how riders ride. It is not the best example (from my own) but this screenshots of SRM-files will point out why I'm convinced weight training is of use even when riding is endurance work.

In both recordings a sample time of 2 seconds is used.

The first screenshot is of a relative easy ride. First part I ride alone, after 15 minutes with another guy. You see once a while an over 600 watt peaks.

group_training.jpg

I agree that you don't need a lot of force during the ride but during the 600 plus watt you need force, special when it is accelerating away form a traffic light or something like that.

But when you look to the file of the group ride you see all the time peaks of 600 plus watt. So you need a lot of time a decent amount of force.

individual_training.jpg

And Ric I can tell you that it is in a race even much more stochastic power output what you see here. I’m convinced that weight training for this reason alone is needed in a training programme for bike racers even when it are long “endurance” efforts they have to do in the race.

The best to you, www.webtrainer.nl

I thought it helped too!

I’m convinced the Rabobank TT3 team is taking profit from that.

So you train the Robobank TT3, I never got the chance to race that Robobank TT3. I was meant to in the Tour Of Austria, where I believe they started. I was injured from a chain snapping while making a sprint 1 week before!

However I raced the Robobank TT1 in the Sachsen Tour(Germany), Do you also coach this team??

Originally posted by zakeen
I thought it helped too!

So you train the Robobank TT3, I never got the chance to race that Robobank TT3. I was meant to in the Tour Of Austria, where I believe they started. I was injured from a chain snapping while making a sprint 1 week before!

However I raced the Robobank TT1 in the Sachsen Tour(Germany), Do you also coach this team??

Zakeen, we split the functions. I'm doing the training and testing of the 20 riders and Nico Verhoeven is the team director of them.

Did you have a good recuperation afther your crash from the chain snapping.

Zakeen, when you subscribe to my service I will provide you with information I gave you above. I'm sorry for the mistake I made by mixing up the group and individual training file.

Good luck to you, www.webtrainer.nl

Ric, I will show you some information on how riders ride. It is not the best example (from my own) but this screenshots of SRM-files will point out why I'm convinced weight training is of use even when riding is endurance work.

In both recordings a sample time of 2 seconds is used.

The first screenshot is of a relative easy ride. First part I ride alone, after 15 minutes with another guy. You see once a while an over 600 watt peaks.

group_training.jpg

I agree that you don't need a lot of force during the ride but during the 600 plus watt you need force, special when it is accelerating away form a traffic light or something like that.

But when you look to the file of the group ride you see all the time peaks of 600 plus watt. So you need a lot of time a decent amount of force.

individual_training.jpg

And Ric I can tell you that it is in a race even much more stochastic power output what you see here. I’m convinced that weight training for this reason alone is needed in a training programme for bike racers even when it are long “endurance” efforts they have to do in the race.

I'm not sure whether you realise, but i do know how riders ride!

Whilst, undoubtedly 600 W from stationary requires more force at the pedals than when already moving, it doesn't actually require that much force, i.e., any healthy, age and gender matched person (who doesn't suffer from a functional disability) can easily exceed this power.

Even (male) riders who are *completely* useless at sprinting can generate more power than that! [assuming they don't have a disability]. elite world class athletes can approach or reach the 600 W in an incremental test to exhaustion.

During racing it's unlikely you'll have to accelerate to peak power (which would be way over 600 W) from a stationary effort (excluding track sprints).

As you've pointed out, forces are higher at zero or low velocity (as I previously mentioned in Hills Force Velocity Curve), however we can all accelerate away from traffic lights without requiring us to do weight training.

I'm not sure if you're thinking that i'm thinking we don't need to generate high power outputs. That's not the case, because we do. What i'm saying, and the majority of the research supports my suggestion is that there's no transfer (or very little) from weight training to cycling, without massive hypertrophy (i.e., as in track sprinters).

I've no doubt that weight training *will* increase peak power (but with massive hypertrophy), however, and importantly, peak power and e.g., STP (30-sec all-out?) can also be trained very well with just on the bike training.

I can't find any research apart from yours that supports your hyopthesis when you look at trained or elite athletes benfitting from weight training (in low fitness/untrained cyclists any exercise is of benefit).

During the last criterium i rode (E/1/2) i made frequent efforts above 550 - 600 W. Forces are low though.

And, even though your power goes quite high (600, 700, 800+ W) in a criterium or road race, that's still not the limiting factor, it's your power at LT, and VO2 max (and peak power for the sprint at the end).

So, i'm not at all convinced that weight training is beneficial to endurance cyclists.

Ric

What software are you running there??

I am using the polar and just hate the software(having said that I was a software developer for 4 years before cycling so I can be a little critical!!) It seems to crash a few times a week with XP! anyway..

I dont have the power out put and was thinking of buying one, but if there is a different software that runs everything correctly I would be happy to make a mve accross.

What software are you running there??

I am using the polar and just hate the software(having said that I was a software developer for 4 years before cycling so I can be a little critical!!) It seems to crash a few times a week with XP! anyway..

I dont have the power out put and was thinking of buying one, but if there is a different software that runs everything correctly I would be happy to make a mve accross.

Zakeen I use SRM (as you can see in the *.jpg files. I have also the Polar software and power measurment system. I don't have problems with it. But I have to admit I don't use it often.

Software on my PC is Windows XP proffesional.

Is the power measurment system for polar good and worth to buy??

Zakeen I should go the forum Cycling Forums > Tech Corner and than Power Training. There you can find links which directs you to info which compares SRM - Power Tap and Polar.

By the way, it is better to train than to discuss.

I've stayed out of this one for a while since starting the ILT debate months ago. Strength training for roadies is an issue that is controversial to say the least.

Winter is coming for most of us in a few months. The off season is not only the best time to build power, it is the best time for experimentation since there is no race pressure to deal with.

While i'm not a huge proponent of strength training with weights for general road racing, I do like ILT and low rpm tension intervals with big gears on climbs.

Overall, I think weights are good for road riders from the waist up, and questionable from the waist down.

Weights helped my acceleration, sprint, and anaerobic power, but it's hard to tell if they help sustained power. I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 14 years old, and I even have a home gym with a power rack, so I for sure love weights. However, I have not lifted for 3 years now.

On-the-bike strength work is 100% specific, and has worked well for me. Life is short. The time to find out if this stuff is going to work for you or not is in the coming months!!!

Happy strength training (or not)!!!

Originally posted by J-MAT
I've stayed out of this one for a while since starting the ILT debate months ago. Strength training for roadies is an issue that is controversial to say the least.

Winter is coming for most of us in a few months. The off season is not only the best time to build power, it is the best time for experimentation since there is no race pressure to deal with.

While i'm not a huge proponent of strength training with weights for general road racing, I do like ILT and low rpm tension intervals with big gears on climbs.

Overall, I think weights are good for road riders from the waist up, and questionable from the waist down.

Weights helped my acceleration, sprint, and anaerobic power, but it's hard to tell if they help sustained power. I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 14 years old, and I even have a home gym with a power rack, so I for sure love weights. However, I have not lifted for 3 years now.

On-the-bike strength work is 100% specific, and has worked well for me. Life is short. The time to find out if this stuff is going to work for you or not is in the coming months!!!

Happy strength training (or not)!!!

For the first time i actually agree with you jmat...have to say that your thread about going flat out for 1km then riding at 23 mph just proved that you did not know what you were talking about.........if you are riding flat out then you should not be able to even turn the pedals at all......or maybe you know better than all the other riders who have given their all in an effort to stay with the bunch and been dropped??????

I am a firm advocate of resistance training as part of a balanced training diary for a road/TT cyclist. Here are my reasons:

1) Power output during a final sprint peaks around 1200+ watts. The ability to maintain this level of power output over a long sprint is helped by doing heavy squats or heavy leg press. Of course the top sprinters like Cipollini and Petacchi get their main training from doing speed work behind a car. However the most effective way to increase maximum wattage is to work slowly with a higher load. Specifically a load that is greater than the load you would encounter on a bike. The logic here is that a higher 1 rep maximum wattage output will directly increase stamina when working at around 70-80% of that wattage. In other words strength directly contributes to stamina. Of course each type of cyclist will train with different weights depending on their skills. A climber needs a lower maximum power output compared to a sprinter and would use lighter weights.

2) Hypertrophy only appears to be an issue if you stop training on the bike. I've trained for 18 months in the gym with a bodybuilding friend of mine and he explained to me that bodybuilders try not to do too much aerobic training as it inhibits the rapid increases in muscle mass that they want! Sad but true! In my own case I have done 10 reps slow parallel squats of 100kg with the strength benefits that it has brought. Yet my legs haven't visibly grown as a result of pushing those high wattages. To be specific 100kg on my back (220lbs) is about 80kg (176lbs) on each leg when combined with my body weight. This is a 1 rep load that I would not want to simulate on a bike for safety reasons.

3) Cycling is a non weight bearing exercise where as resistance training is weight bearing. By putting a greater load on the joints in a controlled environment like the Gym you increase joint, ligament and tendon strength. This specifically helps to prevent knee and ankle injury while on the bike. Even if I was to disagree with points 1) and 2) this reason alone justifies resistance training for me.

4) Doing resistance training can target non cycling specific muscles in the legs that are not directly exercised during cycling. This may sound irrelevant but by strengthening the hamstrings in the gym you actually strengthen the knee joint. Biomechanically the quads (front of thigh) need strong hamstrings to hold the knee joint in balance. If the hamstrings are too weak to back up the power output given by the quads then you produce less power.

5) You can exercise leg muscles in a range of motion which is not achievable on a bike. This directly increases the strength and mobility (ability to stretch) of the joints and muscles in a way that can not be achieved on a bike. For example the range of motion of the calf muscle while cycling is relatively limited. By exercising it under load an a calf raise machine you can increase the flexibility and strength of the ankle and achilles tendon while lengthening the calf muscle itself. The same applies to parallel squats and leg curls as the knee is not bent or straightened as much while cycling. Greater range of motion with the increased muscle strength not only prevents injury but directly enable the muscles to function better over the limited range of motion needed in cycling.

I could go on but then I'd be writing a book :p

I haven't even touched on the benefits to cycling on increasing upper body strength. This is especially true for the back.

For reference check out chapter 12 of The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel
also chapter 4 of Serious Cycling by Edmund R. Burke
Lance Armstrong goes into some detail in his Performance Program book. He also gives some suggested weights that he works up to in the off season.

Finally some warnings:

Don't exercise up to a 1 rep max as you're asking for an injury. On all leg exercises try to stick to a minimum of 10 reps. If you can't do 10 lower the weight! Don't do heavy leg work in the gym if you have a knee injury i.e. tendonitus, joint pain etc... Get over the injury first or work with very low weights that help to rehabilitate the knee/ankle.

Build up starting from low weights. Pick a weight that you can comfortable do 20 reps with and increase the weight trying to stick to 20 reps as you add weight. Again this avoids injury. Don't overtrain ... you only need to do heavy squats/leg press at most once a week. Don't do heavy squats/leg press while recovering from a race or training ride that has increased the load that your legs are used to. Your joints need to be fully recovered before hitting them with squats etc... This is why it's best to do most resistance training in the off season. Train with a spotter and follow your coach's/healthcare professional's advice on safety and recovery.

RECTOR:

Just because you can't do intervals the way I described, don't say it's impossible. How would you know??? Have you ever tried to train this way???

My $.02

As I understand it there are a few benefits which cyclists can reap from low weight, high repetition (20-50+) weight training.

Low Repetition weight training primarily targets white muscle fibers, which are the fibers most responsible for generating high power. High Rep weight training primarily targets red muscle fibers, which cannot contract as powerfully as white muscle fibers, but do recover and recontract repeatedly for long periods (i.e. they are endurance muscles).

The other important difference between red and white muscle fiber is that red muscle fibers are very efficient at using fat as a fuel source, while white muscle fibers primarily burn glycogen (carbohydrate stored in the muscles). Unfortunately for the white muscle fibers, carbohydrate is in limited supply (enough stored in the body for about 2 hrs. of intense exercise), while fat is available in practically unlimited supply (limited only by the carbohydrate limit, remember the saying "fat burns in a carbohydrate fire").

As a cyclist (or any other endurance athlete for that matter) it makes sense that we want to conserve carbohydrate while burning fat. So it is logical that if we could increase the power output of the red muscle fibers, we would raise the threshold where the white carbohydrate burning muscle fibers takeover. Requirements for minimal amounts of additional power (a slight headwind, a 2-3% climb, or a slightly faster pace) are now dealt with by the red muscle fibers. We conserve more carbohydrate and burn more fat, allowing us either to ride faster for a given time period or ride longer while keeping speed the same. This is how low weight, high repetition weight training helps!!!

As mentioned before low weight, high repetition weight training targets the red muscle fibers. And while we basically practice low weight, high repetition weight training everytime we ride, the weight room allows us to do something that can't (or maybe shouldn't) be done on the bike - reach muscle failure. Performing an exercise to muscle failure triggers overcompensation during recovery that is much greater than that achieved otherwise. I think this is what THE RECTOR was trying to say when he stated, "if you are riding flat out then you should not be able to even turn the pedals at all".

One last note: You will want to allow yourself upto 48 hours to recover after a weight training session. This is why most trainers recommend using weights only in the winter when the volume of intense riding is reduced. In late winter/early spring you will phase out weight training in favor of things like hill repeats and intervals to increase muscular endurance and lactate tolerance. If you continue to weight train while picking up your volume of intense on-bike workouts you will risk overtraining and injury.

Weight training doesn't work for endurance cycling, because endurance cycling isn't force limited. Very little force is required at the pedals.

For an overview on it, please click here http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

This doesn't mean that high power outputs aren't required, and nor does it mean that sustained hard efforts aren't required, because they are. it just means the force requirement isn't very high.

practically anyway (age, gender and health matched) can match the power requirements of even the best pro cyclists. sustaining the efforts is the difficult bit, and this can't be trained with weights.

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.