Weight-lifting gloves for cycling

Dave Stallard

Guest
My palms and the heels of my hands have really been hurting after
cycling, feeling as though I'd been slamming them into walls,
practically. My Pearl Izumi cycling gloves haven't been helping me much
with this. Well, this weekend I got myself a pair of Nike
weight-lifting gloves with Velcro wrist wraps. I did a 75 mile ride
Saturday, and another ride Sunday using them, and my hands felt much better.

I think the extra wrist support from the wraps helps too. I do a lot of
typing and mousing at work, and that takes its toll (not that I'm going
to wearing the weight-lifting gloves at work!). The gloves are
ventilated too, so my hands don't get too hot. The only downside is
that I have to unwrap to check my watch, but that I can live with. For
all those out there who have had hand pain, here's FYI.

Dave

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My palms and the heels of my hands have really been hurting after
> cycling, feeling as though I'd been slamming them into walls,
> practically. My Pearl Izumi cycling gloves haven't been helping me
> much with this. Well, this weekend I got myself a pair of Nike
> weight-lifting gloves with Velcro wrist wraps. I did a 75 mile ride
> Saturday, and another ride Sunday using them, and my hands felt much
> better.

It's nice to know they're good for something. I bought a pair for gym and
they started falling apart almost immediately. It's not yet a year and
they're in terrible condition.

--

A: Top-posters.

Dave Stallard wrote:
> My palms and the heels of my hands have really been hurting after
> cycling, feeling as though I'd been slamming them into walls,
> practically. My Pearl Izumi cycling gloves haven't been helping me
> much with this. Well, this weekend I got myself a pair of Nike
> weight-lifting gloves with Velcro wrist wraps. I did a 75 mile ride
> Saturday, and another ride Sunday using them, and my hands felt much
> better.
>
> I think the extra wrist support from the wraps helps too. I do a lot
> of typing and mousing at work, and that takes its toll (not that I'm
> going
> to wearing the weight-lifting gloves at work!). The gloves are
> ventilated too, so my hands don't get too hot. The only downside is
> that I have to unwrap to check my watch, but that I can live with.
> For
> all those out there who have had hand pain, here's FYI.

My girlfriend does the same thing. She discovered by accident when she
grabbed the wrong gloves on the way out the door to a 1/2 century a couple
years ago. She claims they work better, too.

I have also had glove problems, but my problem was that I could only wear
full-finger gloves. I could not find a standard 1/2 finger cycling glove
that didn't make my thumb hurt. However, I tried a new pair of Specialized
Body Geometry gloves earlier this season, and I absolutely love them. The
old BG gloves sucked because the gel pad was too thick. Now it's thinner.
500+ miles so far with zero thumb pain. I'm going to buy a case of them and
store them for the future!

In article <[email protected]>,
"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> writes:

> I have also had glove problems, but my problem was that I could only wear
> full-finger gloves. I could not find a standard 1/2 finger cycling glove
> that didn't make my thumb hurt. However, I tried a new pair of Specialized
> Body Geometry gloves earlier this season, and I absolutely love them. The
> old BG gloves sucked because the gel pad was too thick. Now it's thinner.

I think that's the big problem with so many cycling gloves.
All that padding doesn't seem to contour as well to the
handlebars or grips, as a naked hand would. It's like there's
a tennis ball stuffed in each glove.

> 500+ miles so far with zero thumb pain. I'm going to buy a case of them and
> store them for the future!

cheers,
Tom