weight limit ksyriums?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by malhoppy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. malhoppy

malhoppy New Member

Is there a weight limit on ksyrium wheels?. I cant seem to find anything. I would like to buy the new pair with the red to match my bike but dont want to break them.:)

Tags:

2. Deanster04

Deanster04 New Member

Of all the Boutique Wheels they are among the strongest. Unless you are 300lbs or more I wouldn't worry. I am not even sure that I would worry then...My riding buddy is 215 lbs and has been riding the same set for 4 years with NO PROBLEMS and we have ridden the washboard back roads of Boulder,CO.

3. tourdelivermore

tourdelivermore New Member

I have 2003 model Ksyrium wheels on both my bikes, and, have broken rear spokes on both. Also, split rim on one set - returned for factory repair under warranty.

I'm 180 lbs and ride about 5,000 miles/year, no racing.

4. larryaus

larryaus New Member

I also have a pair of Ksyrium ssl wheels. I have spit two rear wheel rims either side of the spokes. Once after 6 months and after getting it back after 4 months the new one split after 4 months after that and took three months to get it back. Both times warranty covered it.
    When I got the wheel back after three months on my third ride going up a small hill the inside hub (rear) striped. Now after two more months I got another new rear wheel. I only weigh 205 pounds and this should not happen. My spare wheels are Mavic open pro and have only broke three spokes in about five years.
    When you try to speak to Mavic in Melbourne they seem to not want to know anything about it and pass it on. They will not even give a weight ration to the wheels. I live on the Gold Coast in Australia and ride with the club on good roads only. I have not put them back on the bike yet because I am sure they will go bad again.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

They don't seem to suit anyone that weighs more than 80kg, I had alot of trouble with a set I brought a few years ago.

Rear - spokes break or pull through the rim.
    front - spokes break, but not as often as the rear also get some strange sounds from the hub....wtf is with that?

Mine are now landfill where they belong, talk about a big waste of money :mad:

Get your LBS to build you a set of wheels, you wont regret it :)

6. capwater

capwater New Member

Got two sets, 2002 and 2003 models. Weigh about 190, rode em like I stole em and raced a couple of seasons with no problems. Breaking spoke may be a case of uneven tension more than wheel weakness. Other than a few folks with problems, I've heard lots of great reviews on them.