Weight limit on bikes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Daniel, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand bikes.
    OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike that
    after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped" the shop
    were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace) all the
    spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and not the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235 pounds
    and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the sidewalks in a nearby city that has lots to
    explore and see especially their old mansions. I am not one to ride up or down curbs, nor abuse my
    bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.

    Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    is there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    model bike?

    Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Daniel <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote:
    >Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    >bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    >that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    >the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    >all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and not the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235
    >pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the sidewalks in a nearby city that has lots
    >to explore and see especially their old mansions. I am not one to ride up or down curbs, nor abuse
    >my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.
    >
    >Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    >Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    >for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    >is there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    >model bike?
    >
    >Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)

    What you need is not a new bike but a new wheel built by an expert who can both recommend the proper
    components and build and stress relieve it properly. Assuming the spokes were good quality, what was
    deficient was probably the labor.

    Ask a local bike club where to find an expert wheelbuilder who has a good track record of building
    wheels for demanding riders. Buy the wheel they recommend for you. Use large tires and check
    inflation pressure before each ride.

    Inexpensive mass-produced bikes often have poor quality wheels. You do get better parts on more
    expensive bikes, but a good hand-built wheel, really tight, with lots of spokes, will be superior to
    any reasonably priced factory wheel.

    --Paul

  3. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I don't believe anything would really change from one bike manufacturer to the next, I think it's really a matter of spoke guage and count for starters. For your size I think you would want 14 ga. with a 32 spoke count. I would also go with the largest rear tire you can fit (38mm) and still maintain brake and chain stay clearance. Good Luck.

  4. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I should add a 32 spoke count should be considered minimum, or maybe a rim with a 36 spoke count.

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:22:13 -0500, "Daniel" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom>
    wrote:
    >Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand bikes. OR
    >maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike that after
    >2 years of use started the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235 pounds and ride mostly on bike down
    >curbs, nor abuse my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.

    I'm 210 pounds and have 500 miles on my Giant TCR2 without a single spoke broken. I ride it on
    roads, sometimes pretty rough roads, and occasionally find myself on a dirt road. It came with Mavic
    CXP-21 rims and Shimano 105 hubs. I run my 700x23c tires at 125psi.

    >Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company

    No. The bike shop that assembled the bike should have given proper attention to the wheel.

    Question for bike shop owners/workers: Do the bikes come with the wheels pre-built? If so, do you
    re-tension and stress relieve them?

    >or maybe I should try some other companies products? Gary Fisher or Trek?

    That won't help. Try a different bike shop, if you really want to replace the whole bike; else,
    replace or repair the wheels (properly).

    Get the book "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. After reading it, you'll be able to make your
    wheels very strong just by properly tensioning and "stress relieving" them.

    >Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350 for my Cypress DX Cross
    >Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all, is

    In general, no. More expensive bikes tend to be made to save weight, although the materials and
    workmanship may be better.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Daniel" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    > bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    > that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    > the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    > all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and
    not
    > the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235 pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the
    > sidewalks in a nearby city that has lots to explore and see especially their old mansions. I am
    > not one to ride up or down curbs, nor abuse my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.
    >
    > Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    > Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    > for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    is
    > there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    > model bike?
    >
    > Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)
    >
    > Dan

    Get advice from the experts. If you are really interested in learning buy Jobst Brandt's book The
    Bicycle Wheel. Or, Go here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheels/ Or here:
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp

  7. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Here in Australia Giant has a bad rep when it comes to the wheels it provides on it bikes. I break a
    spoke on my Giant ATX every other ride (i'm 81 kg and am a notorious soke breaker on bith mtn and
    road bikes for some reason - usually when I go around corners or start a sprint).

    Anyway, my brother got his mountain bike's wheels rebuilt for free as he complained to Giant that
    the wheels they provided him on his mountain bike did not live up to what they were inteded for (ie
    work without snapping spokes left right and centre!).

    Cheers

    "Daniel" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    > bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    > that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    > the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    > all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and
    not
    > the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235 pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the
    > sidewalks in a nearby city that has lots to explore and see especially their old mansions. I am
    > not one to ride up or down curbs, nor abuse my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.
    >
    > Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    > Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    > for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    is
    > there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    > model bike?
    >
    > Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)
    >
    > Dan

  8. daniel-<< Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    bikes. >><BR><BR> << The first time one "popped" the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it.
    Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace) all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes
    and not the labor >><BR><BR> << Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try
    some other companies products? Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to
    daily use? >><BR><BR>

    This is a symptom of the bike shop doing a poor job in assembly of the bike when new. Seldom
    does a bike shop do anything but slap these things together(not just yours, but most all of
    the bikes in boxes), and don't do things like taking the tires off and actually truing,
    rounding, tensioning and STRESS RELIEVING the wheels. Most service managers are clueless and
    can't understand why new-ish bikes come back so often with problems. If they would spend the
    time at the beginning they would save time(and $$) in the long run. Another problem is the
    assemblers are generally at the low end of the wrenching food chain and may not be able to
    do things like properly service a wheel.

    Have the bike shop, and a good wheelbuilder, properly service your wheels. Cheap components
    can last for years if properly serviced when new.

  9. cipher-<< I think it's really a matter of spoke guage and count for starters. For your size I think
    you would want 14 ga. with a 32 spoke count. >><BR><BR>

    36 hole, 14/15 spokes, a proper rim and good build.

  10. dsr

    dsr Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    >bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    >that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    >the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    >all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and not the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235
    >pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the sidewalks in a nearby city that has lots
    >to explore and see especially their old mansions. I am not one to ride up or down curbs, nor abuse
    >my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.
    >
    >Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    >Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    >for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    >is there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    >model bike?
    >
    >Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)
    >
    >Dan

    The machine laced spokes on the rear of my old Schwinn started breaking after about 10,000 miles. I
    rebuilt the wheel lacing the spokes so that I could adjust the tension by tone. Got them real tight
    like the original factory laced spokes on the front wheel. One of the new spokes broke after only a
    week so I backed off the tension a little and everything is fine now 2000 miles with no problems.

    I rode an old beach cruiser once that had spokes so loose the bottom of the rim flopped around like
    the Galloping Gurdy bridge! I really believe some wheels come with spokes that are too tight though.

    My solution was to start with the spokes of the rear wheel a little duller in tone than the front,
    but with an even tone for all spokes. If the wheel did not stay in true I would tighten two spokes
    an eighth of a turn opposite the bulge {use the brake pad as a guide). I did this a couple of times
    raising the spoke tension a little each time the wheel needed truing. The spokes reached a tension
    where truing was no longer needed and I have had no more broken spokes.

    You can't expect a bike shop to spend that much time futzing around. My LBS told me I needed to buy
    a double rim. This probably would have made the spoke tension a little less critical but was not a
    compromise I wished to make.

  11. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Daniel" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    > bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    > that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    > the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    > all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and not the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight
    > 235 pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the sidewalks in a nearby city that has
    > lots to explore and see especially their old mansions. I am not one to ride up or down curbs, nor
    > abuse my bike. I only rode it 670 miles last year.
    >
    > Anyway, should I curse the Giant bike company or maybe I should try some other companies products?
    > Gary Fisher or Trek? Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350
    > for my Cypress DX Cross Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all,
    > is there anyone out there that is my weight that has had good luck with a particular brand or
    > model bike?
    >
    > Comments, ideas, suggestions and wise ass remarks welcome :)

    Breaking spokes maybe means that you got a bad batch of spokes (or crappy brand), but it's much
    more likely you just got a badly built wheel. Shops should tweak up wheels before they sell bikes,
    but most seem not to. You could learn how to do it yourself (pretty easy) or find a shop that
    knows how. Even a cheap mail-order $50 wheel set will give years of service for someone your size
    if set up right. I'm 6'10, 235, and have successfully ridden a lot of cheap wheels for a long
    time, on & off road.

    To learn to tweak wheels yourself, check the rec.bicycles.tech FAQ, Sheldon Brown's web site, and
    maybe buy Jobst Brandt's book (if you're really curious).

  12. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    may have said:

    >Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand
    >bikes. OR maybe I am just too much of a man to ride their bikes:) I have a Giant Cypress DX bike
    >that after 2 years of use started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The first time one "popped"
    >the shop were I bought the bike from replaced it. Then next time they decided to replace (re-lace)
    >all the spokes, but just charged me for the spokes and not the labor. I am 6'2" tall and weight 235
    >pounds and ride mostly on bike trails, but also ride the sidewalks...

    Wait and see if the spokes continue to break. If they don't, then put it down to high-speed machine
    assembly of the wheel (which seldom includes proper stress relieving) and ride on. If the failures
    resume, then there's a problem...but I'm betting that they won't.

  13. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:35:08 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    may have said:

    >Question for bike shop owners/workers: Do the bikes come with the wheels pre-built? If so, do you
    >re-tension and stress relieve them?

    I am not a bike shop owner or worker, but I know that some wheels come pre-built. On the other hand,
    in the opinion of the guy at the nearest lbs whose advice I trust, none can be used without stress
    relief, some truing and tensioning.

    >>Will a more expensive bike hold up better to daily use? I spent about $350 for my Cypress DX Cross
    >>Comfort bike. Do you get a more rugged bike for more money? last of all, is
    >
    >In general, no. More expensive bikes tend to be made to save weight, although the materials and
    >workmanship may be better.

    More expensive bikes may be more economical to repair at times. If the big chainring on an mtb gets
    dinged on a cheap bike with non-removable sprockets, it's going to be necessary to replace the
    entire crankset, for example. And this does not even begin to address the issue of the cost of
    frustration with malperformance of cheap components on the lowest-price bikes.

    OTOH, there is a lot less added utility when going from a $400 bike to an $800 bike than there is
    when comparing a $200 bike to a $400 bike. There is a point of diminishing returns, and for me, it
    is around $500. Your needs and experience may vary.

  14. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had problems with broken rear spokes on Giant brand bikes.

    Has your chain ever slipped off the biggest cog into the space between spokes and cog? That can set
    the stage for later breakages.
    --
    PeteCresswell