weight loss by cycling?

3xro

Jul 25, 2012
1st time on this forum so please forgive me if im clueless ^^
im very new to cycling i enjoy just riding listening to music and burning some time :p
my question
well im 16,5ft7 and about 11 1/2 stone, im trying to lose weight i have changed my diet dramatically and trying to lose a few pounds, im close to a park that is 2.23KM i cycled 2 laps earlier 1st lap - 13m 17s 2nd lap - 12m 57s im wondering if i do this evryday and go to the gym 2 days a week will it help me lose weight? i enjoy cycling and hate running so if cycling 4.5km a day would help lose weight it would be great! so will it help? :p thanks!

You can burn up to 800 calories an hour cycling so depending on your calorie intake , yes. Of course when and what you eat play a part in weight loss.

I got rid of my car in November at a weight of 258 pounds/18st 6.0lb /117.03 kilograms. I am not on a diet although I am eating less sugar and meat and sometimes smaller helpings and two meals per day, but, I eat like a pig after a long ride. This cycling season I have been averaging 169 miles/ 271.98 kilometers per week and am nearing 210 lbs /14st 0lb/ 95.25 kilograms. I rode all winter although much less as we get snow here, studded tires on the bike DO help.
( I am 61 years old and have.have had a plethora of injuries, disabilities and maladies")
I hope this helps you get some inspiration and hope

Last November the week before Thanksgiving I read that obese people tend to gain more than the average 2-3 pounds during the holidays. Further more the on-line article said that obese people most often never loose the Holiday weight gained. I was shocked, stunted... as I realized that was my problem. I was 257 pounds and every winter I got fatter. Even though I had lost weight during the summer cycling season... I would gain it back through the winter.

So last winter... I merely watched what I ate. One helping instead of two.... and no entertainment eating. I lost 12 pounds through the holidays! No joke.

When cycle season started this year I thought the weight would melt off... it didn't. So on May 15th I downloaded an android app that tracks and helps limit calorie intake. I recorded, tracked, and limited my diet... not once cheating since May 15th. And I have cycled over 1300 miles. The app also tracks calories burned while exercising. Collectively... I've lost over 50 pounds... and barely remain a Clyde.

I plan to hit my idea weight (which is between 165 and 184 for me) before fall. I will continue to use my diet/cycling exercise tracking app... through the holidays.