Weight Loss & Cycling - Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:

: I am going to get a racing bike now. I reckon with my fitness and leg strength that I can blow
: everyone away on speed when I get going. I don't mean this in a arrogant way and I might be
: humbled!!! But I am ambitious and eager to get going !!

I encourage you to go for it, but just be aware that leg strength doesn't necessarily translate into
cycling speed - you need to work on spinning the gears round as well.

"Spin a big gear fast" - E. Merckx.

If you want to get really fast then find a local race club and go out with them - you'll find it a
bit of an eye-opener.

Do go for it though - it's great fun.

Arthur

Simon Mason wrote:
>
> [email protected] (A Lee) wrote in message
> news:<1fyp1c4.5apc2p8boo2yN%[email protected]>...
> > The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I used to have a similar problem to you. First things first. Number one priority - you MUST
> > > stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes and rice after six in the evening. MUST.
>

> I am 44, 6ft 1 in and weigh 12.5 st.

show off

"A Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1fypj1o.ast6vgiwo7cjN%[email protected]...
> Anno Mundi <[email protected]> wrote: Load of snips
>
> > I guess a short ride is better that no ride at all?
>
> When I go out, I do an 18 mile circuit, which includes a few short hills. Depending on how I'm
> feeling, I can do it in 50 minutes or 65 mins. I reckon you have to be out for 45 mins to get any
> benefit,

Every little helps. Esp. as one effect is to increase basal metabolic rates (ie calorie use the rest
of the day)

> and obviously the harder you ride, the better you'll get.

Rather simplistic and not what the books say. You get different benefits riding at different
effort levels.

"A Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1fyp1c4.5apc2p8boo2yN%[email protected]...
> The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I used to have a similar problem to you. First things first. Number
one
> > priority - you MUST stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes and rice after
six in
> > the evening. MUST.
>
> I'm not sure you are completely right about that.

Its part of the new diet fad. It'll pass!

> There was an article in the Independent a couple of weeks ago that disputed the saying that
> 'everything you eat just before going to bed turns to fat'.

Of course it doesn't. It may well be that excess blood sugar at night isn't going anywhere else, but
thats "don't stuff yourself at night". Cyclists are likely to have muscles that could do with that
excess blood sugar to make glycogen anyway.

<...>

> There was another article last week about fast food and the general packaged food industry.It was
> quite alarming reading.Instead of using a 'natural' fat in food, they use a 'man made' fat (cant
> remeber the name
> - corn syrup?), which costs them half as much, but has twice as many calories as a natural fat.

You're mixing things up there, corn syrup is a sugar. There's elements of atkins and sugar that
might be true- but taken to such an extreme that it's out the window. Quite why this should be
blamed on potatoes and bread when people still have a diet with tons of processed sugars in them -
is beyond me (well, no it actually isn't - its a good
psychological trick to sell a book).

Perhaps palm oil or hydrogenated oils- same calories, but worse for health.

> And because it costs them half as much, they add in a bit more to make a little more profit, and
> make the calorie count even higher.The worst calorie count foods are also the cheapest.

I think you'll find a bag of tesco value oats is about the cheapest edible thing in there, and not
too bad for you.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Jul 2003 09:32:55 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul
>
> >> 2. I weigh 16st at 5 feet 11 tall. Common opinion states I need to
eat
> >> around 2500 cals a day but does this allow for the above exercise?
> >
> >20 miles at a moderate pace should be what - maybe a thousand calories in the week? So it should
> >not really make a big difference to the total food you require over the week. If you want to lose
> >weight you specifically don't want to replace all the calories you burn during exercise.
> >
>
> I'm currently 12.75 stones and 6'00" and consider myself to be far too much, if not grossly,
> overweight.
>
> I do not like the idea of the Atkin's style diet so I'll stick to eating less, if that's OK with
> everyone. For me, an eat less diet had worked in the past.
>
> The simplest way to lose weight, IMO, is to cut out alcohol. I used to, and still do, drink far
> too muck booze - red wine in my own case.
>
> Riding a few miles - seven, for example - is relatively easy and should not put an undue strain on
> your system as long as the other things are OK.
>
> Looking back to my really bulky days - 18 stones and 6'00" - I lost loads of weight by having my
> main meal of the day earlier on. However, this weight loss was also gained (lost?) by doing as
> I've mentioned above.
>
> Quite simply: Ride more, eat sensibly and at the right time and drink less alcohol. If, like me,
> you enjoy the more than occasional glass of vino, just don't overdo it and when you do do it, do
> it a a decent time of the day.
>
> Regards James
>
> --
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

No offence but if your 6'00" and 12.75 stones then I would say you don't want to be losing much more
weight (remember muscle weighs more than fat) Atkins diet will reduce your weight - but will also
reduce your muscle and water levels - you will become a physically smaller person and will find your
fitness suffers immensely.

"Anno Mundi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (A Lee) wrote in message
> news:<1fyp1c4.5apc2p8boo2yN%[email protected]>...
> > > The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > > I used to have a similar problem to you. First things first.
Number
> one
> > > > priority - you MUST stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes and rice
after
> six in
> > > > the evening. MUST.
> >
> > Nearly everthing I eat is after 1800. I have an evening sauna along with a meal of rye bread,
> > pork chops and salad as well as 3-4 pints of beer. I am 44, 6ft 1 in and weigh 12.5 st. I burn
> > it off by cycling 24 miles to work and back, as well as every day on my day off -5000 miles a
> > year. I find I can eat any carbs and alcohol whenever I like, as I'm simply getting enough
> > miles in to burn off the calories. My wife eats and drinks much less than me, but takes no
> > exercise at all and is ,ahem, very fat. Simon
>
> Thanks to all who replied so far. I summarise that I need to cycle more
or
> at very least longer durations. Last week I did a 30 miler which nearly
saw
> me off and I guess that's counter productive as you associate cycling with pain. I will try and
> build up my rides slowly in distance/duration.
>
> I guess a short ride is better that no ride at all?
>
> The other thing I am beginning to notice is that cycling is addictive, as
is
> the urge to constantly upgrade your gear. I recently (6 mths ago) traded
in
> my Specialized Crossroads for a Sirrus Sport - flat bar road bike. The difference is amazing in
> terms of both speed, comfort and 'buzz factor'. The bike cost me £499 but am already looking at
> what I can get next ;-) I like the look of some of the Giant road bikes but welcome any other
> suggestions. I'm not, as you gather from my original thread, gonna be racing, but rather using it
> to help me shed pounds and keep fit.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> A
>
>

I've just bought a GIANT FCR 2 - love it - its a thing of beauty :)

Hi I started cycling again properly in January, for the last 3 years had just done the ocasional
ride to work, as i had got a desk job. I went from 11
1/2 stone to 13st. I started to comute to work 6.5 miles each way. & started to use the
Weight watchers system, never went to the meetings or anything but just used the method.
Have built up muy distances and now extend my rides home from work to between 10 and 20
miles. Have a Sunday morning ride.(started with a 20 and have increased it each week), was
:) when i did my first 30 miler. since then i have done the Liverpool to Chester ride
(50miles) plus cycled to the event and home, total 70 miles. My next goal is the
Manchester 100 in september.

I now weight 11st 7 again and feel great.

When i was using the Weight watchers system I seemed to eat a lot more but lost about 2 pounds a
week. So I would reconend this. If you have

OK OK so let me get this straight guys - I am VERY confused. Do I or do I not need to cut down on
carbs if I wanna lose weight? I have no argument with having to cycle for longer durations at
slightly increased intensity but all this diet babble is doing my head in.

Saint

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think you'll find a bag of tesco value oats is about the cheapest edible thing in there, and not
> too bad for you.

Which I'm only too happy to eat but I think the current trend for lots of folk is to pick food that
may not be quite the cheapest but because it's full of cheap additives appeals more to their
palates. (and I like a certain amount of junk food, bit this is in addition to "sensible" food
rather than instead of).

My pet peeve is the amount of salt added some foods, why?

Pete

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I am going to get a racing bike now. I reckon with my fitness and leg strength that I can blow
> : everyone away on speed when I get going. I
don't
> : mean this in a arrogant way and I might be humbled!!! But I am
ambitious
> : and eager to get going !!
>
> I encourage you to go for it, but just be aware that leg strength doesn't necessarily translate
> into cycling speed - you need to work on spinning the gears round as well.

Also, I have met some very fit people who when taking up cycling are very fast off the mark but as
the miles add up they start lagging. But maybe you will be the exception and you seem keen, so yeah,
go for it.

Pete

"Saint" <[email protected]> writes:

> OK OK so let me get this straight guys - I am VERY confused. Do I or do I not need to cut down on
> carbs if I wanna lose weight? I have no argument with having to cycle for longer durations at
> slightly increased intensity but all this diet babble is doing my head in.

You don't "need" any particular mix of calorie sources to lose weight
- if you burn more calories than you eat you'll lose weight - whatever the source.

However - the received wisdom is that people who are engaged in significant amounts of exercise
should take a greater percentage of their total calories in carbohydrates (mostly complex
carbohydrates) than sedentary individuals.

Well I have just read this thread - and it has made me very hungry !!!

I usually do a 50 on a sunday and in the summer a couple of commutes 20 miles round trip. I haven't
lost weight and still look like a slightly flabby 40 year old - I don't really give a toss - when I
am blasting down a quiet country lane, at 25mph - that is living !!!

I would love to firm up a bit - and thats the reason I took up cycling - it didn't work - but riding
a bike fast is good enough compensation.

Pete.

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > : I am going to get a racing bike now. I reckon with my fitness and leg strength that I can blow
> > : everyone away on speed when I get going. I
> don't
> > : mean this in a arrogant way and I might be humbled!!! But I am
> ambitious
> > : and eager to get going !!
> >
> > I encourage you to go for it, but just be aware that leg strength
doesn't
> > necessarily translate into cycling speed - you need to work on spinning the gears round as well.
>
> Also, I have met some very fit people who when taking up cycling are very fast off the mark but as
> the miles add up they start lagging. But maybe you will be the exception and you seem keen, so
> yeah, go for it.
>
> Pete

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I think you'll find a bag of tesco value oats is about the cheapest edible thing in there, and
> > not too bad for you.
>
> Which I'm only too happy to eat but I think the current trend for lots of folk is to pick food
> that may not be quite the cheapest but because it's full of cheap additives appeals more to their
> palates. (and I like a certain amount of junk food, bit this is in addition to "sensible" food
> rather than instead of).

since ive started to eat breakfast now ive switched to tesco's swiss style muesli with no added salt
or sugar ... i do add some splenda (low cal sugar alternative) to it to sweeten it to my taste and
use skimmed milk but its certainly a good filling breakfast i can stick to ...

also if im hungry even after meals im now trying to eat either fruit or what i had tonight for a
snack which was a can of tuna (added vinegar) mixed with sweetcorn ... a nice high protein low
everything else snack

i do find i still ocassionally go nuts for **** food and am now regretting the times i do it and
hoping i can work that out of my system .. its more out of habit but im still finding it difficult
to stop doing it every several days ... grrrr!

Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

: Also, I have met some very fit people who when taking up cycling are very fast off the mark but as
: the miles add up they start lagging.

That's pretty universal - it takes time to develop the cycling specific stamina. That's the same in
all sports mind - cyclists going to another endurance sport can suffer in the same way. The fitness
is there, but the muscles aren't used to it yet. Or visa-versa seomtimes.

Arthur

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:13:18 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>My pet peeve is the amount of salt added some foods, why?

It separates the men from the slugs.
--
Reply to my first name at my surname dot org dot uk

On 26 Jul 2003 05:39:25 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

>[email protected] (A Lee) wrote in message
>news:<1fyp1c4.5apc2p8boo2yN%[email protected]>...
>> The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > I used to have a similar problem to you. First things first. Number one priority - you MUST
>> > stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes and rice after six in the evening. MUST.
>
> Nearly everthing I eat is after 1800. I have an evening sauna along with a meal of rye bread, pork
> chops and salad as well as 3-4 pints of beer. I am 44, 6ft 1 in and weigh 12.5 st. I burn it off
> by cycling 24 miles to work and back, as well as every day on my day off -5000 miles a year. I
> find I can eat any carbs and alcohol whenever I like, as I'm simply getting enough miles in to
> burn off the calories. My wife eats and drinks much less than me, but takes no exercise at all and
> is ,ahem, very fat.

Hi Simon

I'm not too sure who wrote what or when in the carbs post 18:00 section this thread ... so
I'll bore you.

In the BIG WEIGHT LOSS or BWL© of mine many years ago, as well as eating less overall, I did my best
to try not to eat after six PM. I'm unsure how much the timing of my dinner affected my weight - not
a lot, I'd guess - but I found sleeping far easier with less in my gut.

This earlier to bed, earlier to rise regimen made me feel far more energetic in the mornings and so
more able to go for a walk, cycle ride etc.

#declare polite_mode = on BTW, how dare you call Mrs Mason "very fat" (the <ahem> doesn't excuse
your behaviour). "Beautifully rounded in the manner of a classical painting" is the correct phrase
to use. #declare polite_mode = off

Cheers James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:14:28 +0100, "Temp3st"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>No offence but if you're 6'00" and 12.75 stones then I would say you don't want to be losing much
>more weight (remember muscle weighs more than fat) Atkins diet will reduce your weight - but will
>also reduce your muscle and water levels - you will become a physically smaller person and will
>find your fitness suffers immensely.
>

No offence taken, Temp3st.

About 18 months or perhaps two years ago I weighed in at between 11.5 and 11.75 stones. I'd be the
first to say that 11.5 was a little too light and was quite hard to maintain. OTOH, I felt fine at
11.75 stones.

This thread is meandering all over the place, as do most threads in which I become involved :-(
Nevertheless, I do recall writing recently somewhere or other that I am not too keen on the Atkin's
dies or other similar fads. (Spotted it. I made my comment in the post that you replied to.) I like
my pasta, rice, potatoes and other non-Atkins foods too much.

To be honest, Temp3est, I'm never overly fussed about my weight. Some fifteen or more years ago when
I used to play a lot of cricket and rugby, and did a lot of circuit training in the winter months,
(YUK!) I happily weighed about 13.5 stones. I no longer use my upper body as much as I used to. The
weight comes, goes and shifts around the place.

I'll settle for 12.5, as long as it's residing in a different bodily area. :)

Regards James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 26 Jul 2003 05:39:25 -0700, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:
>
> >[email protected] (A Lee) wrote in message
news:<1fyp1c4.5apc2p8boo2yN%[email protected]>...
> >> The Oracle <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
<snip>
>
> #declare polite_mode = on BTW, how dare you call Mrs Mason "very fat" (the <ahem> doesn't excuse
> your behaviour). "Beautifully rounded in the manner of a classical painting" is the correct phrase
> to use. #declare polite_mode = off
>
> Cheers James
>
That'll be Rubenesque then James ?... We like Rubenesque......There used to be 2 large young ladies
at work who became so much more attractive when I started describing them as Rubenesque....don't
know why..One could almost imagine a Sid James type response rippling around the males in a room
whenever they entered ;-) Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.