Weight Loss. Diet? Miles?

sourmug

Jun 5, 2006
Ok Im a little nervous posting this here. I've got some weight to lose.

I've began exercising and focusing on cycling again. I go for 60 minutes and average between 21 and 23 miles 6 nights a week.

I don't eat good. Today I started out with:

Breakfast: 1 packet of oatmeal

Snack: Blueberry Cereal bar

Lunch: Large Spinach Salad w/ Italian Dressing. 1/2 cup of hummus and 2 whole wheat pitas.

Snack: 1 small avocado

Dinner: 2 bean burritos from Taco Bell

Snack before ride: Banana

After ride drink: Protein Shake

(I am a strict vegetarian)

Help with suggestions, please!

Thank you!

+ ditch the taco bell 100% - eat some pasta instead.
+ start getting more protein in during the day with your other meals

can you eat eggs?
eat eggs for breakfast with your oats.

have a protein shake with your avocado

ditch that cereal bar. it's mostly sugar/high fructose corn syrup that will only hurt you.
replace it with a handful of nuts (healthy fats)

u shudnt b nervous at all abt posting here, just know that here we advise people, share our opinions. :)hope u have got sum help.

i too am cycling for wieght loss, im riding an xc bike and perfer trails to long road rides but should i be focusing more on longer flatter rides or more intense hill climbs? what would result in better weight loss?

nismo driver said:
i too am cycling for wieght loss, im riding an xc bike and perfer trails to long road rides but should i be focusing more on longer flatter rides or more intense hill climbs? what would result in better weight loss?
Well, for training for cycling specifically, i would say do a combination of both...
But you're asking which one is specifically better for fat loss I would have to say intense hill climbs.

Altho - The key to weight loss is what you eat.
Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight; it's that simple.

i see some of the suggestions here are to fuel up on prtien before riding, do you need prtien to burn fat or wil teh body just burn the fat for fuel if you didnt load up on protien? alot of times i ride after work and that is 6 hours after i eat lunch, is that leading to getting tired faster and having a bigger appitite a few hours after my ride?

nismo driver said:
i see some of the suggestions here are to fuel up on prtien before riding, do you need prtien to burn fat or wil teh body just burn the fat for fuel if you didnt load up on protien? alot of times i ride after work and that is 6 hours after i eat lunch, is that leading to getting tired faster and having a bigger appitite a few hours after my ride?
If right now you're riding 6 hrs after the last time you've eaten, I would suggest eating a small protein/carb meal 30-60 minutes before you ride, and then eat again afterwards.
I say at least 30 minutes because I tend to have a bad ride if i have food digesting while trying to work out.

As far as the body not burning fat if you didnt load up on protein - that might be somewhat of an exaderation, but i personally have a large portion of protein in everyone of my 6 meals per day.

wh0areume said:
Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight; it's that simple.
Amazing how many people can't grasp this with all the fad diets and such huh?

I have found it easier to run large caloric deficit with no exercise... 500 Cal/day is about all I can do while training without running out of energy, but 1500 is possible for me with no training (short term anyway) as I can tolerate the hunger and weakness if I am not riding.

wilmar13 said:
Amazing how many people can't grasp this with all the fad diets and such huh?

I have found it easier to run large caloric deficit with no exercise... 500 Cal/day is about all I can do while training without running out of energy, but 1500 is possible for me with no training (short term anyway) as I can tolerate the hunger and weakness if I am not riding.

Training makes a caloric deficit more mentally tolerable for me.
It's like you're actively moving toward your goal ('increase miles', a posative process) rather than sitting around waiting for it to happen. ('reduce food', a negative process)
Last period of weight loss i did i was able to consume 2800 kcals/day average and lose 0.77kg/week due to the volume of training.
Consuming the right calories at the right times does seem to help .. a certain optimum amount of fat is essential to make meals satisfying.

ebola said:
.. a certain optimum amount of fat is essential to make meals satisfying.
Yeah people that avoid fat are the ones always hungry. It is wise to eat fats first as (I forget the physiological response that causes this) the stomach triggers a "I'm satisfied" signal to the brain when it gets some fat, but this does not happen in the same way with protein and carbs in the absence of fat.

Just a bit of information for lossing weight. It is all about what you eat and how you exercise.

First science has shown which foods are the best to eat for losing weight, for they require more energy to breakdown into useable resources for the body. It follows as is.

Alcohol at 35%
Protein at 30%
Fat at ~15% (can't remember exact number)
Finally, carbs at 4%

Finally, I would recommend not using soy protien, for that doesn't have nearly the same value as whey or casien. Both fat and protein will satisify you quicker than carbs. Taking a glass of alcohol once every days will help bring down that gut. (although, don't over do it) Also, I would recommend some dairy, but since I won't hint at moving toward a non-veggie diet, :p then try some Ca+ pills. Although, I don't know if they will have the same fat blocking affect as dairy does.

Minnaert said:
Just a bit of information for lossing weight...
Taking a glass of alcohol once every days will help bring down that gut.

is that for real ? !!!

ebola said:
is that for real ? !!!
Use your head - alcohol will not help you get where you want to be.
It might require more energy for the body to break down, but at the same time it's poisoning you.

Why do you think the term "beer belly" came about? Alcohol has about 30 +kJ per ml which is comparable to fat. Carbs have 16kJ, which is approximately half that. And you need to eat carbs for other reasons such as fibre, to get natural sources of vitamins and of course you need carbs to "prime the pump" for fat metabolism. I am not making this up, have a look into the scientifc way that body energy systems work

wh0areume said:
Well, for training for cycling specifically, i would say do a combination of both...
But you're asking which one is specifically better for fat loss I would have to say intense hill climbs

The heart rate training guides I've read say that while you burn more fat at higher intensity (as long as you stay in the aerobic zones) exercicing for longer at a lower intensity (50-80% of max HR) will train your body to burn more fat in the longer term. I have just started and cycle for about 8 hrs a week in the lower zones. I have lost 11.5 lb in just over 3 weeks.

Congrats on that 11lbs!

The weight lost is mostly controlled by your diet.
Chosing high intensity hill climbs over long low intensity cardio sessions isnt going to make a difference - the important thing is that you're exercising and eating healthy.

I've recently been in the same boat as you for loosing weight. I am a CAT 3 and recently returned from Kuwait with the war where I was not really able to exercise all that much. What I recommend you do is look carefully at any refined foods you are eating and move too raw and whole foods. Boost you veg intake and decreased oils. Use Splenda. I've lost about 27 lbs myself but I've worked for it heavily with a lot of riding and running. The key you need to realize is portion control as well as purity of what you are eating.

For riding, work longer rides. Realize that iloosing weight is a result of calories burned being greater then calories taken in. :)