Weight loss... finally happening, here's why for me

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by NomadVW, Dec 19, 2006.

1. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

I started 2006 at 195lbs. In Feb 2006 my weight "tipped over" and I was 185 within about 2 weeks of weight loss where I plateaud. For the rest of the year through November I sat between 182-185. I felt like I did everything, from changing diet to riding more.

In November I started planning for a hill climb. I wanted to get down to 175. 4lbs would be about 30 seconds of climbing time if I could drop it. No such luck.

Then, it happened. Today I weighed myself (post 2 hr ride) at 171.5. I haven't weighed over 178 in 2 weeks, and am hovering between 173-175 now as I creep to the goal weight of 169-170 (77kg).

Simply speaking, I changed portion size. Instead of 2 peanut butter sandwiches at lunch, I went to 1. Instead of a foot long sub, only six inch. Instead of the extra taco from Taco bell, just didn't get it. I came through Thanksgiving unscathed and am on a steady decrease of weight at about 2 lbs per week. I didn't remove any types of foods from my diet in particular. I still eat the occasional "goodies" and "snacks" without guilt. Along with portion size changing, I added very small meals on the inbetween meal times. Crackers, fruit, etc.

I want to attribute it to riding more, putting in some solid long distance mileage. But looking at my year's rides, there were months that I rode as much, if not slightly more, with absolutely no weight loss.

If all goes as planned, I should roll into January at my goal weight with the least amount of "pain" for weight loss I have ever felt. One more "food holiday" to get through and I can say I made it through the holidays.

Portion size change. That was the ticket.

Tags:

2. Pureshot78

Pureshot78 New Member

Ditto here.. portion size control is huge. Especially in the US where restaurants serve way more than than the average sedentary person should eat.

Another thing to add.. I completely cut out going to fast food places. I started shopping at the organic stores. Eating more fresh fruit.
    Speculation here, but i'm pretty convinced that I'm not nearly as hungry throughout the day because i'm not eating processed foods which just make your tastebuds crave more food.
    No political or social agendas drove these choices.. I just want to be healthy and get up that climb faster. YMMV

3. zzrman

zzrman New Member

Eat small, eat regular, eat healthily and don't eat after maybe 8.00pm. That way your metabolism keeps going and since your body knows it's going to get fed it feels less of a need to store food as fat.

4. Tapeworm

Tapeworm New Member

The basics of weight loss...

If:-
    Energy in is equal to energy out, you maintain weight.
    Energy in is greater than energy out, you gain weight.
    Energy in is less than energy out, you loose weight.

That's a very simple way at looking at it but the fundamentals are there. So for this to work you need to be able to work out how much energy is going in. This can be quite laborious, involving reading all the various nutritional data on the packets of food (or referring to a published guide, several out there, good for fresh food) and then measuring exactly how much you are eating. This of course is a guide only and not 100% accurate. But you should be able to narrow down a good estimate as to how much is going in. How it goes in is another matter.

Seems a little strange at first measuring your food but soon it should become second nature.

The other part of this is of course measuring how much goes out! That's more tricky and beyond my knowledge. I know some HR monitors can give an approximate kjs or calories burned but I don't think this is very accurate.

Hope this helps a bit.

5. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Congrats! Nice job. :)

I'd say the portion size needs to match the amount of riding one does. Increasing the burn or reducing portion size will do the trick, but if one plateaus then they either need to raise one, or decrease the other -- or both! :)

6. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Do you know what your body fat % is and what's your height? It's seems you have to eat very little to get thin. 1 peanut butter sandwich is a really light lunch!

7. sogood

sogood New Member

Good on you!

For me, the food didn't seem to make a difference as the ride. After a few 80km Sun group rides under the sun. 4kg miraculously vanished without a trace. Previously, all the local loops of 15km every morning made zero difference to my weight.

It's those endurance rides that burns fat. The longer the better... ;)

8. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

my wife and i goodwilled our plates, and replaced them with smaller ones. then made a rule, no second helpings unless you wait 10 min. before. ive only gone for seconds once in the past month.

were on 5 meals a day now.

9. 11ring

11ring New Member

IMO the moist powerfull weight loss tool is caffein. It lets you eat less and keep up the energy levels. You can use a good strong coffee to replace a whole meal no probs.

10. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Power meters give an accurate guide to energy production in kilojoules (Avg power x ride time = energy). Since the body operates at an efficiency level (coincidentally) that is approximately equivalent to the ratio of kJ's per calorie, then you can simply take the kJ figure from your power meter file and that will be the calories expended by the body as a whole. Add that to your normal daily metabolic calorie expenditure (assuming you ain't riding all day of course) and voila - you will know many calories to consume to maintain, go into surplus or deficit.

11. lennyk

lennyk New Member

congrats that you have found something that works for you.

I too have lost almost 20lbs in the last 3-4 months, pigging out for the xmas season though.
    The long and the short is you need to have a calorie deficit of 300-500 or so to lose weight steadily without major changes to diet/lifestyle.

I also reduced portions just slightly and make sure to snack on a banana or some other less than 100 calorie item between meals, the key is to make sure so that your mind sticks to a good routine.
    Also take 1 sugar instead of 2 with coffee.

Training on my indoor trainer with power levels has also helped tremendously,
    since I have been doing 2x20's L4 my fitness has improved significantly, so much so that my road rides are less taxing and more enjoyable.

It is great that you have found something that works for you and is totally within your control
    unlike many people who go on lifelong searches in weight control

12. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

bloody hell i'm inspired haha i'm gonna try this portion thing!!:D

13. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

Wrong. There is no nutrition in coffee.
    You can cause real health problems from too much caffeine.
    Caffeine is not an appetite supressant. Many pro riders do not consume caffeine at all.

Portion size and sedentary lifestyle are the two hits on Americans. Pureshot 78 is right, the portions in US restaurants are shocking, and even more shocking is that people finish them. It's difficult, especially in suburbia, where it is almost impossible to get anything done without a car. This is why you see fatter people the further you get away from urban centres like New York city.

The US is also addicted to soft drinks with cheap corn syrup.

14. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

I'm not saying to replace a meal with coffee, but caffeine is a strong ally in a fight to loose weight. It revs up the metabolism, i'm not sure on the curbing appetite thing, but it was 1/3 of the ECA stack that was used so effectively for fat loss. Ephedra, Caffeine and Asprin together helped people shed tons of fat before ephedra was banned. Now it's a little tougher to get it, and you can't find it as a diet aid. but in my mind caffeine is a good thing for cyclists, of course in moderation. As to the other thing,I don't know of many pro cyclists who have shunned caffeine completely. I know a lot who don't drink it all the time, so they don't have a tolerance for it, that way when they slam a coke at the end of a race the effect is stronger. I don't drink coffee, and rarely have soda, so when i drink a starbucks double shot before a race i feel nice and amp'd up.

15. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

Thanks for the encouragement to go for it! I'm currently at 181 and want to be in the 170 or even in the 165 range like I used to be years ago when I was extremely active in cycling. I know that the biggest fight for me is to ignore the goodies everybody always brings into the office this time of year, to put less on my plate than normal, and to keep active even when the weather royally sucks here in Seattle. It's HARD, and I know in my head that it's worth it and will make a difference, but it's such a freakin' big hurdle to jump in terms of denying myself that sugary goodness sitting there in a nice chocolaty presentation on that plate in the office's kitchen.

At least I know that the more I exercise the lesser of an appetite for processed and sugary crap I actually have. It's odd how much I crave fruit after a long ride.

16. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    Caffein to replace meals and loose weight = RUBBISH:mad:

My wife came back from the gym yesterday having read an article about Kirsty Alley. At her fattest - 15 stone and rising she was drinking 10 coffees a day + sweet drinks that had caffein in them too.

We all know fatties that skip meals and have a coffee or Coke etc instead.

Besides - even if it did work, it's very unhealthy and I'd rather be healthy with a few extra pounds than unhealthy and thinner. Thankfully I'm both healthy(ish) and thin(ish):)

17. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    You are so right:eek:

A few years ago a woman I met(!) on a net dating site in the USA came over to see me(I'm in New Zealand - she was keen - and why not?!).

We walking passed a Burger King here. She was interested to see that the burgers were a lot smaller than in the US. In fact all of our fastfood and cafe style(I can't afford resturants!) meals were smaller than she was used to.

I almost never eat fastfood. The last time I had KFC was in September '95. I remember driving my MGB eating it(didn't have time for an evening meal at home on my way to a meeting) and having the oil running off it with what seemed like 1/2 cooked chicken - yuk:eek: . I declared I would never have it again.
    I've only had any sort of fast food meal about 4 times a year(basically just our non francished fish and chips) since then.

My wife is the same. We're bringing our boys up to eat it, want it or like it but we'll certainly let them know what is in it and what it does to our bodies:mad: .

May be I'll get them a copy of Fast Food Nation(I've read it and was horrified) to read when they can understand it and rent Supersize me to watch too:)

18. 11ring

11ring New Member

Actually I find, at least in Aus, portion sizes are too small. I have an unstoppable appetite. I could go to KFC or Macdonalds and eat 2 or 3 burgers no probs. I don't go there partly becuase the food is crap and partly becase you just dont get enough food for 7 bucks. I mean, what the f## do they think they are doing charging $5.00 for a "chicken burger" the size of my fist- it is a joke how can someone buy this and think it is a meal. Ide rather go to the corner store and spend $10 and get a whole chicken.

I find if i start eating i can't stop, so the only way to keep the weight down is keep occupied and just eat less often. If you can hold off on eating eventually your body gives up and the hunger subsided.

You can train your body to be satisfied with less, but it is tough, tough work.

19. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

Last measured body fat by calipers was 8.7%

That was way back in September.

Ah,.. forgot. I'm 188cm in the height department.

20. Saddlesoarus

Saddlesoarus New Member

I was feeling discouraged with my plateau and the weather and ...
    Your post really spoke to me in a very practical way. I have a pretty unchanging diet and really would miss the items I eat. This helps me in a simple way. Thanks.

Merry Christmas