Weight Loss for the Very Heavy

Smith Roedel

Guest
Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously needs
to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think
of that work is riding.

her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big

any suggestrions? Smith Roedel

Cary Grant, now there's a role model. Why did I choose Daffy Duck?

Take out the trash to reply

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Smith Roedel) wrote:

> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I
> can think of that work is riding.
>
> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel

At that weight, think low-impact and diet control. Swimming, maybe low-impact aerobics, and yes,
cycling. How much riding experience does she have? She'll probably be happiest with something
like a rigid MTB or a "comfort" or hybrid bike. Don't go overboard on picking a really big seat:
her ischial tuberosities ("sit bones") haven't grown any bigger, and they're the critical element
for bike fit.

Motivation is going to be key here. Much more important in any exercise program than "what is best?"
is "what will I keep doing?"

On 12 May 2003 03:09:08 GMT, [email protected] (Smith Roedel) from AOL http://www.aol.com wrote:

>Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
>needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can
>think of that work is riding.

1) See a physician.

2) Keep a food log. Diet Power is a good one: http://www.dietpower.com/ .

3) Set a reasonable goal to lose x pounds over y months. The 125 pounds will take a while to
shed safely.

4) Burn more calories than you eat. The food log helps you keep track. It's essential.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace nerd walks the white and black clocks
4:1:13 PM 11 May 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:39:09 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

>At that weight, think low-impact and diet control. Swimming, maybe low-impact aerobics, and yes,
>cycling. How much riding experience does

Eliptical machines are also good. They don't have the impact of a treadmill yet offer almost as much
of an aerobic benefit. Try to use one that also has moving handles for the upper body.

>Motivation is going to be key here. Much more important in any exercise program than "what is
>best?" is "what will I keep doing?"

Agreed. Without the true motivation....all of this advice is useless. If his wife thinks she can
maintain an unhealthy diet, ride a bike for a few minutes a day and change...she is wrong.

When the time is right, you must stop eating ****...drastic change. Stay away from gimmik diets.
Just eat healthy. Skip the fries and chips completely. Go for healthy snacks. Eat whole grain
breads, etc.

The most important thing is that there ARE NO TRICKS.

Smith Roedel wrote:

> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I
> can think of that work is riding.
>
> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel
>
> Cary Grant, now there's a role model. Why did I choose Daffy Duck?
>
> Take out the trash to reply

Check out this lady's website. She is an inspirational person. Her delivery is very real and simple.
She has such a great attitude, your wife may find some help starting here.

http://members.cox.net/incredibleshrinkingwoman/index_files/page0001.htm

Best regards, Bernie

Eat less. Every cumulative 3500 calories under daily needs takes off a pound. Every 3500 extra
adds a pound.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

"Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's
in
> pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
riding.

> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel
>
> Cary Grant, now there's a role model. Why did I choose Daffy Duck?
>
> Take out the trash to reply

If she's that far overweight, she's likely insulin resistant. She should look into a controlled
carbohydrate diet. With this diet, I've lost 40 pounds, increased my HDL, decreased my LDL, and
decreased my triglycerides.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Smith
> Roedel) wrote:
>
> > Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> > needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome,
she's in
> > pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
riding.

> > her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
> >
> > any suggestrions? Smith Roedel
>
> At that weight, think low-impact and diet control. Swimming, maybe

Don't forget strength training. If she builds muscle she will burn more fat.

Smith Roedel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I
> can think of that work is riding.

> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big

> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel

Ok, a couple of thoughts.
1. Your wife needs to remodel her lifestyle (and probably you too if you want her to succeed).
2. Diet and exercise together work far better than either alone.
3. Don't look at the final weight loss goal, it will just discourage her. For the sake of the
argument, lets say she weighs 300 lbs, she will gain real health benefits and it will be far
easier for her to work on loosing 30 lbs than 125. Once she has lost the 30lbs she can then start
working on loosing another 10% of her weight.
4. Might be an idea to join a program like weightwatchers. Some people don't like them, but I have
known more than a few people to have great success with them.

As for excercise.. not sure I would recommend biking to start, Cycling on the road where you have
hills to climb and what not can be rather strenuous and that can be dangerous. Walking on the other
hand, even 30 minutes a day will make a difference and is almost certainly safe unless you happen to
live in the Rockies.

--
Bill

Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity.
Home page - http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~wmchal1

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> > needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome,
she's
> in
> > pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
> riding.
> >
> > her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
> >
> > any suggestrions? Smith Roedel
> >
> > Cary Grant, now there's a role model. Why did I choose Daffy Duck?
> >
> > Take out the trash to reply
> >

> If she's that far overweight, she's likely insulin resistant. She should look into a controlled
> carbohydrate diet. With this diet, I've lost 40 pounds, increased my HDL, decreased my LDL, and
> decreased my
triglycerides.

> --
> Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

For some studies of the diet, see:

http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/lce_results.asp?catid=215

For exercise, your wife should consider low impact, although walking might not be bad.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I
> can think of that work is riding.
>
> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel

Just slow walking is a good start for the seriously overweight. She might have trouble getting going
on a bike if she just starts "cold- turkey".

it's morning".

"Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's
in
> pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
riding.

> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel

Eat less, move more.

I lost 205 pounds in 13 months. (July01-Aug02) There is no secret unforunately to weight loss. No
pills or fad diets work or I would have tried it 40 years ago. Diet and exercise are the only things
that work. I suggest that your wife do the following:
1) Get a complete medical checkup
2) Ask her primary care physician to make a referral to a nutitionist. Usually health insurance pays
for most of this
3) Start exercise slowly. Have her park her car a little further away at work and eventually she
needs to join a gym.

Two bottom lines: She needs to be ready to do this and she needs to obtain HOPE that change
is possible.

Needless to say, it is not a simple process.

I wish her luck. Feel free to contact me for additional information.

Dario "Smith Roedel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's
in
> pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
riding.

> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions? Smith Roedel
>
> Cary Grant, now there's a role model. Why did I choose Daffy Duck?
>
> Take out the trash to reply

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Smith
> Roedel) wrote:
>
> > Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 pounds? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> > needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's in pretty serious trouble and the only thing I
> > can think of that would work is > > riding.
> >
> > Her condition is such that running won't work, she's just too big.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> At that weight, think low-impact and diet control. Swimming, maybe low-impact aerobics, and yes,
> cycling.

I recommend water aerobics to begin with. I did water aerobics when pregnant and post-partum, and I
think that it is the best workout when you're carrying extra pounds. With my second pregnancy I was
in a water aerobics class where, I swear to goodness gracious, I was half as old as the next
youngest person in the class. No matter, it was what reknit my abdominal muscles together and got me
back into shape such that I could get other sorts of exercise.

One of the nice things about aerobics classes, both dry and wet, is that they are popular with other
women, and you get a nice little support group sometimes as a part of the package. Even the little
old ladies in my beginning water aerobics class were really sweet. I think this is more true if you
stay away from the trendy health club and go to the Y, but your community may vary.

Another suggestion I would have would be walking. When I got back in to cycling this most recent
time, it was because I was doing a brisk walk every day, and it wasn't enough for me. When I was
doing the walking, I would borrow a neighbor's dog to go with me. The neighbor was thrilled that her
over-enthusiastic canine got extra exercise; the dog was thrilled to go anywhere; I got a nice
walking companion and extra security guard. So it isn't like you need to invest time and energy into
a dog -- any one in the neighborhood might work!

Once the base is built with something like walking and water aerobics, then it's easier to do
something more sustainably aerobic like bicycling. I recommend using the bicycle initially just for
short transportational rides -- to the drug store, to the local library, to the post office. Also,
I'd note that the Terry catalogue has *great* bicycling stuff for women in plus sizes.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

I have a lot to lose. I've done it before & kept it off for *years* but illness
- and as a result, comfort eating - it crept back on. I am now tackling it.

1. *And most important* - get checked out by a doc first to make sure it's safe to go on a
restricted calorie diet and that there's no underlying problems which can cause problems. Make
sure any medical advice given by a qualified medical practitioner is followed.

I'm *not* a medical practitioner - and the following is just what works for me. I really do strongly
advise taking proper medical advice before commencing any diet/exercise plan, particularly is you
are very overweight to start off with.

What works for me ...

Weigh *everything* I eat apart from veggies (of the non-starchy kind).

Keep a diary of everything I eat - this not only tells me what I've eaten during the day, but tells
me what I can still have

Eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruit & veg in it.

Cut out sugar - use sweeteners

Don't add salt to food

Keep it low-fat - note low-fat, not no-fat.

Ban any alcohol.

Ban anything fried or roasted.

Drink lots of water

As a woman, calcium is important - get your calcium requirements from skimmed milk and natural
low-fat yoghurt - not from full-fat cheese.

*Always* have breakfast - my favourite to stop any hunger pangs mid-morning is porridge made from
1oz oats, a little sweetener, water (done in microwave) topped with a small sliced banana and a dash
of skimmed milk. It works for me.

If you feel hungry - have a hot drink (tea/coffee/herbal tea) and if, 30 mins after that, you are
still hungry - eat some veggies kept in the fridge for this purpose - carrot sticks, sweet pepper
slices, celery, tomatoes, etc., but *not* anything with sugar or fat between meals.

Vegetable soup - a dieter's lifesaver! - made with vegetable stock and lots of mixed veg - carrots,
swedes, celery, onions, tomatoes, *any* non-starchy veg - is a great low-calorie filler-upper.

Limit red meat to no more than about 8oz per week.

Limit eggs to no more than 7 per week.

Limit full-fat cheese to no more than 4oz per week.

get weighed no more than once a week.

Exercise little & often. Remember that if you haven't been exercising for a while to start off
gently. Don't try to do too much too soon. If you do, you risk injury and also being put off
exercising. Make it *fun* and you'll keep doing it. Walking is a good starter. Then cycling. Running
is the pits and the gym is even worse. Swimming is good, but being large, I tend to keep away from
public pools - so I do little swimming, even though it is great exercise.

Don't expect to lose a lot of weight quickly - aim for no more than lb to 2lbs a week. At first, a
calorie controlled diet of 1000 calories a day will cause a swift loss, but after a couple of weeks
or so this will level out to a lower weekly weight loss.

Expect to "plateau" for a while, where weight doesn't seem to drop even if sticking to diet. Don't
be put-off by this - up the exercise level a bit.

Every 10lbs lost, award self a treat not of the food variety - a nice bit of make-up, perfume -
whatever, but *not* a food reward.

Get to a support group of some kind - whatever works for you - it's important to keep the
enthusiasm going

Get support of family - loved ones backing you can make all the difference

Realise this is not a "diet", but is a *lifestyle* of eating a healthy, blanced diet combined with
regular exercise.

Keep at it!

*Expect* to fall off the bandwagon sometime. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get back on
it! Don't let one or two failures make you give up completely.

p.s. Tell your wife you love her - *often* to build self-esteem. Particularly that you love her
whatever her size, but that for her health, it's better to be a healthy weight for her age
& height :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> *Expect* to fall off the bandwagon sometime. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get back on
> it! Don't let one or two failures make you give up completely.

I've found that this is extremely important. If you torture yourself because you lost your will
power and stuffed yourself for a day after a month of doing well, you'll never make it. Accept that
you will occasionally backslide. Accept it, resolve to do better next time, and move on. Don't start
thinking that just because you lost it for a day that you've completely lost all the gains you've
made; at most you've lost a few days worth, so don't let it get you (her, actually) down.

it's morning".

> [...]
> was thrilled that her over-enthusiastic canine got extra
exercise; the
> dog was thrilled to go anywhere; I got a nice walking
companion and
> extra security guard. So it isn't like you need to invest
time and
> energy into a dog -- any one in the neighborhood might
work!

> Once the base is built with something like walking and
water aerobics,
> then it's easier to do something more sustainably aerobic
like
> bicycling. I recommend using the bicycle initially just
for short
> transportational rides -- to the drug store, to the local
library, to
> the post office. Also, I'd note that the Terry catalogue
has *great*
> bicycling stuff for women in plus sizes.

I think Claire has the right idea. Make it easy and fun so she'll be able to stick with it. It
doesn't take a lot -- just a little every day, over time. But the over time part is key, and key to
that is looking forward to the activity every day.

Matt O.

On 12 May 2003 16:24:36 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Don't expect to lose a lot of weight quickly - aim for no more than lb to 2lbs a week. At first, a
>calorie controlled diet of 1000 calories a day will cause a swift loss, but after a couple of weeks
>or so this will level out to a lower weekly weight loss.

It will do even worse. It will result in it being much more difficult to lose weight beyond this.
I've heard of a number between 1200 and 1500 calories/day as the rock bottom you should go. Below
that and your body goes into "conservation" mode and actually stores more energy than it otherwise
would. Result? You might even gain weight.

Don't count every little calorie. Eat healthy, excercize regularly and enjoy it. There are no tricks
and no gimicks.

Remember that as far as cardio benefit, nothing beats running. Yes it's hardest on the body and you
certainly don't want to start there, but it also means that something like an eliptical machine or
fast walking will give you more benefit than some other machines or activities out there.

> Any advice on how to lose 100 to 125 poundes? My wife has gotten very overweight and seriously
> needs to lose. Any and all advice welcome, she's
in
> pretty serious trouble and the only thing I can think of that work is
riding.

> her condition iis such that running ewont work, she;s just too big
>
> any suggestrions?

I recall reading about a very overweight woman who started doing triathlons; it was a rather
inspirational story. Unfortunately, I did a quick search and couldn't run her down (I can't remember
the name).