Weight Loss help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by jttessaroo
Hello, I am new to this forum. I was interested in this topic because I am type 2 diabetic and MUST exercise. I used to ride bicycles everywhere when I was younger (no car in Southern California!!) Now I have a car and diabetes. As to the Atkins diet, I tried it and lost a whopping 4 lbs in the first two weeks. My blood sugar dropped, though. I suspect that would happen if I ate dirt.

Four pounds in the first two weeks is not a bad showing. Atkins is a long-term commitment. I started a year ago to lose 30 pounds. It took several months and I’ve kept it off for over a year. Now I’ve upped the carbs a little bit to aid recovery from longer rides. This may not be a good idea for you. I obviously don’t know all the details of your condition. I do know that diabetes is not good. Over time, it gets worse if left untreated. I have a family history of type II diabetes. That’s one of my reasons for using the Atkins program. If you can control your condition through diet and exercise, go for it. Be patient. It takes years to develop obesity and the related disorders. Allow yourself some time to gradually undo the damage. Slow steady changes are the ones that persist. Wouldn’t it be great to still be riding when you’re 80 years old?

I am not a diabetic, but to lose weight, I also watch the carbs I intake. Except I use a natural food supplement called Carb Blocker II that basically grabs the enzymes that digest carbs into your system and locks onto them. This allows the carbs to shoot right through your system. Now I don't do that the day before a race, but in the off season it helps keep the weight off, without limiting your diet too much. Plus it is an all natural supplement (no chemicals added) that is made w/ pharmaceutical standards, so I know it is safe. It is great because it keeps your blood sugar from fluctuating up and down. I also use low carb protein bars for some meals and snacks (good if you are doing atkins diet as well)...

Just something that I do...

I use a natural food supplement called Carb Blocker II that basically grabs the enzymes that digest carbs into your system and locks onto them

"Grabs" the enzymes that digest carbs? Locks onto them?

You've been sold a placebo.

Originally posted by DiGGLeR
I am not a diabetic, but to lose weight, I also watch the carbs I intake. Except I use a natural food supplement called Carb Blocker II that basically grabs the enzymes that digest carbs into your system and locks onto them. This allows the carbs to shoot right through your system. Now I don't do that the day before a race, but in the off season it helps keep the weight off, without limiting your diet too much. Plus it is an all natural supplement (no chemicals added) that is made w/ pharmaceutical standards, so I know it is safe. It is great because it keeps your blood sugar from fluctuating up and down. I also use low carb protein bars for some meals and snacks (good if you are doing atkins diet as well)...

Just something that I do...

I shudder to think what you're being charged for those. Wouldn't counting the grams of carb you consume daily and then tweeking that number be cheaper? Also, does the label on the container of Carb Blocker II contain any weasle words like "helps" or "promotes"? Weasle words are how manufactureres of dubious products get out of having to prove they actually do anything. Under the law a product that promotes a particular outcome doesn't actually have to cause it in any measurable sense. You're being had.

Actually you're both a bit off, it "locks" onto the digestive enzymes, and it does not "promote" anything, it does. I have many friends that are losing weight by using the product. It blocks 1500 calories per day. They have pharmaceutical standards of the quality of their products. This is not just another off the shelf product. Counting carbs is the cheaper way to go (I agree with that), but it is something I don't want to bother doing. I'd rather eat those high carb meals, and not have to worry about what kind of weight it will put on me.

I figured placing that in a cycling forum would get those responses, but I understand, there are many products out there that don't do anything or are totally harmful to your body. Even many of the vitamins you see in your local store are made with chemicals and your body doesn't even recognize them as actual vitamins. Actually, most vitamin companies don't even use pharmaceutical stancards for their products, they just throw in the ingredients that they put on their label, and they don't control the amount. Sometimes you get a lot, sometimes you get very little of what you think you are getting. I have a friend who is a scientist for a company like that, who gave me all of that info.

Half of the time, products like that don't even have in the bottle what is on the lable because of the shelf life.

Rest assured guys, I research every product I place into my body. I am as anal about what I put into my body as most cyclists! Have a good one either way!

"Keep the rubber side down":D :D :D

Diggler,

Your post appears to be spam. This is no evidence that these blockers work, this is quackery at it's highest level. If you want these posts to remain (i.e., this and adoptogens), please post some proper evidence.

Ric

Actually you're both a bit off, it "locks" onto the digestive enzymes, and it does not "promote" anything, it does. I have many friends that are losing weight by using the product. It blocks 1500 calories per day. They have pharmaceutical standards of the quality of their products. This is not just another off the shelf product. Counting carbs is the cheaper way to go (I agree with that), but it is something I don't want to bother doing. I'd rather eat those high carb meals, and not have to worry about what kind of weight it will put on me.

I figured placing that in a cycling forum would get those responses, but I understand, there are many products out there that don't do anything or are totally harmful to your body. Even many of the vitamins you see in your local store are made with chemicals and your body doesn't even recognize them as actual vitamins. Actually, most vitamin companies don't even use pharmaceutical stancards for their products, they just throw in the ingredients that they put on their label, and they don't control the amount. Sometimes you get a lot, sometimes you get very little of what you think you are getting. I have a friend who is a scientist for a company like that, who gave me all of that info.

Half of the time, products like that don't even have in the bottle what is on the lable because of the shelf life.

Rest assured guys, I research every product I place into my body. I am as anal about what I put into my body as most cyclists! Have a good one either way!

"Keep the rubber side down":D :D :D

Sure, I will leave them out next time. It doesn't matter to me whether or not you think they work. I was just stating what I was doing. I have no need to convince, I will just keep them to my self. No worries. Sorry to get you worked up.

Have a great day.:)

Sure, I will leave them out next time. It doesn't matter to me whether or not you think they work. I was just stating what I was doing. I have no need to convince, I will just keep them to my self. No worries. Sorry to get you worked up.

Have a great day.:)

I'm not worked up. I concerned about the efficacy and safety of these statements, and how some people might be duped in to believing rubbish like this.

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
I'm not worked up. I concerned about the efficacy and safety of these statements, and how some people might be duped in to believing rubbish like this.

Ric

Not rubbish, but you are entitled to an opinion. Thanks for making it well known though. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by 2WheelsGood
I think it's pretty safe to say it's rubbish. I would certainly be interested to read it if you can post some real evidence, but according to this the research mentioned is not worth the paper it's printed on. http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/blockers.htm

And the author of this article is who? She has prob. researched all of this herself, and I am sure that she didn't just get this info from someone else. She is an author of business articles...:rolleyes:

Hey fellas, all I know is that it works for myself and a few people that I know. Whether you want to think that is rubbish or not, I don't care. Although I am glad you spent so much time trying to research on something to argue with me. A day well spent...

Or maybe this is just another way to try and pick an argument on the forum. All I said was something I did in the offseason to keep the weight off. We both put in our two cents, and whether anyone reading this thread believes either of us, it doesn't matter to me.

As for you, lets just say that they all believe you, for your argument's sake...

Rubbish or not, who cares....

Anyone reading this has access to all kinds of different food supplements, and it is up to them what they want to do; and it is up to them to decide if it is healthy for them or not. If they can't do that, then they probably don't care about what either of us have to say anyways....

And the author of this article is who? She has prob. researched all of this herself...

And you supposedly carefully reasearched this yourself as well. I'm just interested to see the reasearch you came up with that proves this product works. You said you did this research, so I don't see why it's an unreasonable request to see it. Please post it.

The underlying problem in this discussion about “carb blockers” is that there is no market incentive to tell the truth. All the vendors in this health and fitness market are here to make a buck. Everything else is secondary. The trade laws are so lax that one needs to be a lawyer to really understand the claims made on the labels. On the other hand, in most cases the cleverly worded claims that in strict legalese really don’t claim anything. The result is consuming public that is kept largely ignorant because there isn’t a profit to be made in cluing them in. Quite the contrary, there’s a great deal to be lost if the customer knows what is real and what isn’t. One even has to be wary of books and articles that purport to set the record straight. Some of these materials are backed by research and some are just recycled promotional materials. Even the writing backed by research can be suspect. Vendors often fund much of the research. Vendors often pay for the research that supports their claims or at least doesn’t refute them. With huge amounts of money at stake, it’s tempting to cook the numbers if it will move product. Now the situation is so bad that the corporations now fund research at the university level. Academia is now biased in favor of market incentives. The Latin phrase “caveat emptor” is truer now than ever. Whenever someone makes a claim for some product the first thing one should ask is, “Where’s the research, who paid for it, and what are they selling?”

Diggler wrote, i replied with >>

And the author of this article is who? She has prob. researched all of this herself, and I am sure that she didn't just get this info from someone else. She is an author of business articles...:rolleyes:

>>Personally, i'd prefer to see Diggler do a search on Pub-Med and find some supporting evidence as he said he'd researched it. so, let's see it.

Hey fellas, all I know is that it works for myself and a few people that I know. Whether you want to think that is rubbish or not, I don't care. Although I am glad you spent so much time trying to research on something to argue with me. A day well spent...

>>As part of my job is research i haven't lost anything. I've confirmed within the primary research that your products don't work and you're deluding yourself. If you and your colleagues have lost weight, then that's great and you're to be applauded. However, it's absolutely nothing to do with these products.

Or maybe this is just another way to try and pick an argument on the forum.
>>I am not picking an argument or having a discussion. As a moderator of this board i am moderating it.

Rubbish or not, who cares....

>> actually, i do. as do others on this forum. and i would rather stop you from perpeptuating an awful myth and prevent people from wasting their money on such absolute rubbish that has no evidence to support it.

Anyone reading this has access to all kinds of different food supplements, and it is up to them what they want to do; and it is up to them to decide if it is healthy for them or not. If they can't do that, then they probably don't care about what either of us have to say anyways....

>>so, you don't care about how people interpret what you are trying to sell or give them? Many people are misled by psuedo science, which you are perpeptuating. we do not require your goods here.

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
Personally, i'd prefer to see Diggler do a search on Pub-Med and find some supporting evidence as he said he'd researched it.

Me too. I posted that because it shows an easy to trace connection between the supposed research (that I assume diggler is referring to) and the company that makes the product. I didn't mean for the rest of that article to serve as research.

In my first post, did I ever say anything about selling or trying to convince anyone to do what I am doing... No.

I thought it worked good, so I stated that in my first post. Apparently you two disagree with that; fine.

In my first post, did I ever say anything about selling or trying to convince anyone to do what I am doing...

You did state (in your second post I believe) that you researched the product. The only thing in question (at least in my mind) is where is this research. Why do you keep avoiding the question?

Originally posted by 2WheelsGood
You did state (in your second post I believe) that you researched the product. The only thing in question (at least in my mind) is where is this research. Why do you keep avoiding the question?

No sir,

I researched it in various places, as well as asking other professionals and doctors that I know. I did a check on the company that makes it, and looked at what goes into their processes of production, as well as the standards they use for their products. I did not write this up in a report and post it on the internet somewhere, it was just some research I did before I got it. Because of the research I did for myself, I feel confident in the product. That is why I felt I could say something good about what I was doing. I am not about to write up a report on this forum either, because as I told you before, I don't care whether you advise it or not. I also don't care what opinions you have about what I am doing. I also know that you don't care about my health or my training regime. I am not going to waste the time to write all of the research I did just to prove a point.

What can you pick apart in this post now to argue with?

Originally posted by DiGGLeR What can you pick apart in this post now to argue with?

The fact that you keep saying you don't care, but in fact you really do. If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep responding. But it's easier to say you don't care than it is to come up with some real evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.