Weight Loss help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diggler wrote, i responded with >>

No sir,

I researched it in various places, as well as asking other professionals and doctors that I know.

>>I'm sorry, but the only 'doctors' you asked were probably people who had a doctorate in business studies (apologies in advance to these people). No medical doctor, who isn't a blatant charlatan would advise such supplements.

I did a check on the company that makes it, and looked at what goes into their processes of production, as well as the standards they use for their products.

>>Pleeeze. I've never heard such rubbish in all my life

I did not write this up in a report and post it on the internet somewhere, it was just some research I did before I got it. Because of the research I did for myself, I feel confident in the product.

That is why I felt I could say something good about what I was doing. I am not about to write up a report on this forum either, because as I told you before, I don't care whether you advise it or not.
>> you do care. you keep responding with utter rubbish

I also don't care what opinions you have about what I am doing. I also know that you don't care about my health or my training regime. I am not going to waste the time to write all of the research I did just to prove a point.

>>you seem to have wasted enough time responding to us. i'm sure you could have found some supporting evidence. You said you had thoroughly researched it before buying the product. You must have some memory of this research. or did the carb blockers, block your memory?

What can you pick apart in this post now to argue with?
>> all of it?

Ric

There are carb blockers that are totally effective and safe if used properly. And we all have them. They are called lips. If you don't put the stuff in your mouth it can't add to your weight. Simple !

Regards,
Harrow. :)

Originally posted by Harrow
There are carb blockers that are totally effective and safe if used properly. And we all have them. They are called lips. If you don't put the stuff in your mouth it can't add to your weight. Simple !

Regards,

But Diggler and his nutrition buddies won't make any money with that :)

Ric

Originally posted by rsalazar
Hi,

After many many years of being off the bike, I started back again. I am training for a tour in South Texas(US). 150mi (241km)in two days. I need to lose weight, a lot. But I keep hearing that if I want to lose weight, I need to stay off the carbs. But now that i am into cycling, I read the articles and they mention that I need carbs. I weight 313lbs(241kilos) and I am 6'0feet tall. I can ride for about an hour and a half and feel fine. So how should go about losing weight without affecting my performance.

Let me give yoiu some background about myself (similar situation as you, weight-wise and cycling-wise): I'm 43 years old, female, until 2 years ago I weighed 305 lbs, 5 ft 6 in tall. I lost over 100 lbs in 2 years (I'm now 200 lbs). I used to be a cyclist many years ago when I was thinner, then when I started getting heavier I got away from physical activity. Got back into it a few yrs ago, lost the weight and as of a few months ago, am now cycling again!

I can outline what I did, and maybe it will work for you too:

1> Eat only low-fat (NOT fatfree, tho you can eat some fatfree foods).

2 Drink LOTS of water, all day long. In fact I dont drink anything but water except in rare cases

3 Eat smaller portions

4 Get up early (5 or 6 am), do your workout, and go to bed early (8 PM). The earlier you go to bed the less hungry you will get late at night and want to snack

5 Do not deprive yourself of ANYTHING. Just eat smaller portions. If you want a candybar, get one, take a few normal sized bites, and throw the rest away or give to your kid if you have one. Share desserts when going out to dinner with a spouse, etc Order senior size portions or kid portions if you can (if they are low fat).

Practice mindfulness when eating ANYTHING. Before you eat it ask yourself why you want it. Is it true hunger? Or boredom?

When you are hungry, try drinking water first. Often we mistake thirst for hunger.

Focus on complex carbs, lean poultry and fish, tuna, fresh fruits and veggies, etc Dont cut out sugar, white flour, etc but go easy on it. REMEMBER, you are NOT on a weightloss diet, you are simply changing your lifestyle to be HEALTHY. Focus on the HEALTH aspect and not weight loss and you will do better. Much of this is psychological.

Focus on cardio exercise. I started out doing 5 mins of recumbent stationary bike 7 days a week, worked up to 75 mins 7 days/wk, now cut down to 3 days a wk on the advice of my dr and trainer. I do weights on the off days, with one day a wk off.

This is what I do with the recumbent bike: 24 mins straight at something like 22-24 mph, take a brief break, then do the next 24 mins, and keep doing it like that till I've done 75 mins total.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Blimp
These fanatical devotees of the Atkins diet are nearly as annoying as Amway people, scientologists and telemarketers. There is only one way to lose body fat, and that is to eat less and exercise more. Anyone who doubts that is deluding themselves.

Blimp, THANK GOD there are people like you who are smart enough to realize this! I absolutely despise the low carbos, I have a friend on it who is tired and depressed all the tiome, she bonks when she works out, and she wonders why!

And as a sufferer of IBS I NEED carbs to keep from having IBS attacks. Fat is my number one enemy, and low carb is too. If I ate high fat/low carb I'd be so sick all the time I'd never be able to leave my house again (I lived like that for years until I learned a few yrs ago that fat triggers attacks, and complex carbs cures them.)

For more info on IBS, http://www.eatingforibs.com

As an Atkins enthusiast, I can tell you from experience that high protein / high fat does not work well in all cases. I have used Atkins to drop about 30 pounds. I limit carbs to those that occur in low glycemic fruits and vegetables. The one exception is cycling. Carbs speed up my recovery after a long ride. In addition, the body doesn’t store enough glycogen to get one through a multiple hour ride. Some carb is necessary to sustain and recover. If I need a boost, I eat a Dr. Soy bar after being in the saddle a while or after the ride. It has the best balance of protein, fat, and carb I’ve found so far.

Parenthetically, my adult acne has gone away since I started Atkins. There must be something good going on here.

I’ve read the previous version of Atkins’ book cover to cover. There is no mention of a program for serious athletes or recreational riders who train but don’t race (as I do). This isn’t to say that Atkins is b.s. It’s a jumping off point for building a diet for one’s own situation. Atkins himself recommends tailoring the diet to one’s own needs. The diet program is not a one size fits all proposition. It’s also important to realize that the Atkins diet was developed as a dietary control for type II diabetes. Some of Atkins’ patients were in terrible trouble and needed some sort of drastic help. There’s no shortage of type II diabetics in this country. The last number I heard was 15 million.

I’ve been in the Atkins chat room quite a bit. Always someone wants to follow the program without reading the books or following the rules. It’s no surprise to me that they have problems. It’s also important to remember that Atkins comes in stages. In the forth and final maintenance stage all sorts of carbs are legal so long as they don’t affect weight, blood chemistry, insulin response, etc. No one in the first stage of Atkins (induction) should entertain notions about bike racing or some other strenuous sport. Many people spend too much time in the induction phase. If someone is pathologically obese, the first order of business is to get the weight off and acquire some basic level of fitness. Atkins can help with this.

Recently I’ve heard about the effects of carb addiction on the brain. As with any sort of addiction, the subjects medicate themselves with some substance to achieve some sort of pharmacological effect. Sugar is just such a substance. For those who would scoff at the notion of sugar being addictive, take it from me: Been there, done that, ain’t goin’ back. There are actual biochemical changes in the brain that can be managed with, according to one source, certain amino acids. These can be taken as a supplement or they occur naturally in certain foods. Atkins doesn’t address these brain changes. Consequently, some Atkins followers fall off the wagon because the underlying sugar addiction hasn’t been treated.

Sixty per cent of Americans are over weight. A significant portion of that sixty per cent is obese. The carb content of the American diet has been increasing steadily for over a century. The rates of heart disease and diabetes have more or less tracked that increase. As a population, we eat too much carb. Cyclists are self-selecting minority. The dynamics of the population at large do not apply. Certainly, the several claims that this or that diet works better have no statistical significance. In terms of public health, these claims don’t mean anything.

Finally, I have found that I can drastically reduce the amount of carb I consume, dose myself with appropriate amounts of carb strictly in the context of training, train as hard as I deem reasonable, and consistently improve. Everyone is different. If you’ve found something that works, stick with it and enjoy your improving fitness.

Originally posted by DurangoKid
As an Atkins enthusiast, I can tell you from experience that high protein / high fat does not work well in all cases. I have used Atkins to drop about 30 pounds. I limit carbs to those that occur in low glycemic fruits and vegetables. The one exception is cycling. Carbs speed up my recovery after a long ride. In addition, the body doesn’t store enough glycogen to get one through a multiple hour ride. Some carb is necessary to sustain and recover. If I need a boost, I eat a Dr. Soy bar after being in the saddle a while or after the ride. It has the best balance of protein, fat, and carb I’ve found so far.>>

I underestimated the importance of carbs myself, even tho I am dead set against low carb/high fat diets. I had to cut most fat from my diet due to IBS, and naturally that also cuts out a lot of carbs (many pastries, etc are high fat).

But when I workout on my stationary bike, I usually do 75 mins a day. I find that when I dont eat a high carb dinner the nite before, or dont eat a high carb breakfast, I bonk. And I tend to bonk bigtime. Once I suddenly got very disoriented and actually fell sideways off the bike...my legs got heavy, I lost the energy to cycle anymore, had dizziness, I even saw things!
If anything convinced me of the importance of carbs, that did.

Originally posted by HellonWheels
As an Atkins enthusiast, I can tell you from experience that high protein / high fat does not work well in all cases. I have used Atkins to drop about 30 pounds. I limit carbs to those that occur in low glycemic fruits and vegetables. The one exception is cycling. Carbs speed up my recovery after a long ride. In addition, the body doesn’t store enough glycogen to get one through a multiple hour ride. Some carb is necessary to sustain and recover. If I need a boost, I eat a Dr. Soy bar after being in the saddle a while or after the ride. It has the best balance of protein, fat, and carb I’ve found so far.>>

I underestimated the importance of carbs myself, even tho I am dead set against low carb/high fat diets. I had to cut most fat from my diet due to IBS, and naturally that also cuts out a lot of carbs (many pastries, etc are high fat).

But when I workout on my stationary bike, I usually do 75 mins a day. I find that when I dont eat a high carb dinner the nite before, or dont eat a high carb breakfast, I bonk. And I tend to bonk bigtime. Once I suddenly got very disoriented and actually fell sideways off the bike...my legs got heavy, I lost the energy to cycle anymore, had dizziness, I even saw things!
If anything convinced me of the importance of carbs, that did.

What is IBS? I'm guessing you're in a very small minority of people who have some metabolic disorder that needs special attention.

What is IBS? I'm guessing you're in a very small minority of people who have some metabolic disorder that needs special attention.

No its not a metabolic disorder. IBS stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I've had it since age 16. Attacks are caused by stress, overeating, high fat foods, and not enough fiber. Attacks can come on suddenly, anywhere, and require the victim to stay in the bathroom for sometimes a few hours. Severe diahhrea, sometimes vomiting, severe stomach cramps, etc. Many IBS sufferers end up confined to home because they fear going anyplace where they might get an attack and not be able to take over the bathroom for a few hours.

Switching to lowfat, high carb foods, and reducing portions, as well as cutting 3 main meals into 5 smaller ones, as well as aerobic exercise and lots of water, stopped all my attacks. I have not had one in 3 years!

For more info, see http://www.eatingforibs.com

Regards,

There are other carb blockers that also work.
Vomiting
Worms
Gastric stapling and intestinal bypass surgery.

The latter works by bypassing the usual places where carbs are absorbed, dumping unabsorbed carbs into the lower intestinal tract, causing severe cramps and diarrhea. Most shy away from eating carbs after a few bouts of the 'dumping syndrome'.
In a much milder form, beans contain carbs that are not usually broken down into an absorbable form. When these carbs reach the colon, bacteria have fun fermenting them into gas; same when lactose (milk sugar, a carb) with lactose intolerant people.
To prevent such unpleasantness, they sell enzymes that will *breakdown* carbs into an absorbable form, from beans or milk, before the carbs reach the colon.
So when someone tells me they actually take something that will prevent breakdown of carbs in the stomach or intestine, one has to wonder how they can tolerate the severe diarrhea, gas and pain that will inevitably occur when these carbs reach bacteria in the colon.

Originally posted by rsalazar
Hi,

After many many years of being off the bike, I started back again. I am training for a tour in South Texas(US). 150mi (241km)in two days. I need to lose weight, a lot. But I keep hearing that if I want to lose weight, I need to stay off the carbs. But now that i am into cycling, I read the articles and they mention that I need carbs. I weight 313lbs(241kilos) and I am 6'0feet tall. I can ride for about an hour and a half and feel fine. So how should go about losing weight without affecting my performance.

Try a "modified Atkins" diet -- cut out all starches from your diet -- no pasta, no rice, no bread, no potatoes -- but keep fruits and veggies. Then, eat a normal diet .. not a lot of fatty foods, but you can still eat cheese, for example. I think you will find that you will lose weight that way. I assume you are doing the Houston-Austin MS ride -- a lot of fun.

no no no how tall are you??? some people burn fat faster than other if your metabolic rate is high like mine ya have to eat lots more than other people, keep a food intake diary which is what i do and i write down what i eat (which is healthy food might i add but if ya doing lots of miles ya gotta eat lots of miles food, sample diet for ya ok!!21 000 to 23 000 kilojoules each day i dont know what country your from but this is australian okidoky??

Pre-training Cereal bar (eg Kellogg's K-time bar) and carton of fruit flavoured yoghurt
Sports drink Breakfast after training 2 large bowls of Kellogg's Sustain and milk Chopped banana 500 ml fruit juice
Mid-morning 500 ml liquid meal supplement (eg Sustagen Sport) Large piece of muesli slice Grab-pack of mixed dried fruit and nuts Lunch 3 rolls with salad and meat/egg/chicken/cheese 2 small cartons of fruit-flavoured yoghurt Fruit juice
Before training 250 ml liquid meal supplement
After training Sports drink + 2 cereal bars (eg Kellogg's Oven Baked Twists) soon as i get home - Large serve of rice/pasta/potatoes Stir fry with lean meat/ fish/ skinless chicken and vegetables Bread or bread rolls
Fruit juice
Desert - Custard and jelly Before bed Fruit smoothie with skim milk, fruit, icecream and skim milk powder

you can have low fat milk powder mixed with water i use one cup to 1 cup taste like **** but ya get use to it its good to add to smoothies just for the caleries

is a sensible diet - this is only an example i keep a food diary it gives you a fairy good idea of how much you eat compared to what you need.

cheers marion
Now I'm worried about type II diabetes and heart attack! :(

I'm 63kg, and drink my home made energy drink (15% maltodextrin, 1.5% sugar, 1.5% protein, 1% salt) consuming around a litre per hour while riding. This is the only way I am able to stop weight loss - I simply cannot eat enough food to maintain my weight and energy otherwise.

Should I be overly concerned? :confused:

mmmmmmmmmmmm doesnt 313pounds only = 142kgs?? isnt it 2.2pounds to a kg?? maybe he meant to type 142 instead of 242? I think we should ask him/her to jump on the scales and give a definate weight??? if your only 142kgs just look at your diet keep a diary eat lots of healthy vegies fruit as much as you can fit in drop your fat intake to less than 4 gms, eat low fat everything and i would skip on too much cheese, drink lots of water and exercise moderatey start slow........i mean your overweight yes but, if your only 142 you only have around 50kgs to loose for you height?? so thats not too bad eh? maybe you could see a dietrition and they could work you out a diet to what your specific unique body needs - we are all different my friend is heavy and he exercises alot more than me eats a hell of alot less and cannot loose his wieght, i would suggest a full workout from your doctor to rule out thyroid and get your blood pressure checked and CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE YOUR BODY IS YOUR TEMPLE YA GOTTA LOOK AFTER IT!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Miller
Try a "modified Atkins" diet -- cut out all starches from your diet -- no pasta, no rice, no bread, no potatoes -- but keep fruits and veggies. Then, eat a normal diet .. not a lot of fatty foods, but you can still eat cheese, for example. I think you will find that you will lose weight that way. I assume you are doing the Houston-Austin MS ride -- a lot of fun.

HEY!!!! they say.......1of protein to 3 carbs!! did you know this? i dont know how true it is i use this ratio for my cycling and it suits me fine (im a girly blouse thou, also amino acids added to your diet in capsule for and magnesium and zinc true i take them and they are great my recovery is halved my brain even works better cheers
Originally posted by 2LAP
I agree with Shabby. Cutting out on protein in favour of protein and fat is going to be counter productive (carbs are improtant for cycling) and perhaps lead to illness (i.e. diabetes in the long term). You need to have a negative calorie balance (i.e. eat less energy than you use); so eat a healthy diet and train sensibly. The research suggests that to maximise the calories expended and therefore loose weight, exercise as hard as you can for the amount of time available (be it 1 minute or 5 hours). The 'fat burning zone' is becoming an exercise myth.

I stick by my low carb, high protein (and high fruit/veggie) diet. It has worked for me. You have to be reasonable -- I never said increase fat, I just said decrease carbs. If you are overweight, your body will metabolize the fat to get the carbs it needs. If you eat plenty of green veggies and fruit, you will also have vitamins etc. you need. My diet also works for someone who is not 25 years old -- if you have a full time job, juggle responsiblities other than sports, my bet is that you will find a healthy, rational diet that de-emphasizes carbs will keep you fit in the long run, which is the only run I'm interested in.
Cheers.

Originally posted by Miller If you are overweight, your body will metabolize the fat to get the carbs it needs.

No, you can not metabolize fat into carbs. You can burn fat, but not in the form of carbs.

Originally posted by 2WheelsGood
No, you can not metabolize fat into carbs. You can burn fat, but not in the form of carbs.

The important thing to remember is that insulin will direct the body to utilize carbs first. The excess fat and carbs will be squirreled away as fat. The amount of available carb must be sufficiently low before the body starts burning fat as fuel. Thus, in a diet too high in carbs, the body never gets around to using much of the available fat as fuel. Some small amounts of fat will always be used for other purposes. The mistake is to think it is the fault of the fats when actually the carb burning metabolic path has put the fat burning path on hold. For example, a diet rich in French fries and shakes will make you fat faster than a diet that includes plain McDonald’s cheeseburgers without the bun and ketchup, all other things being equal. Chronically high levels of carb can induce a condition called insulin resistance. This is the prelude to type II diabetes. You don’t have to be obese to be diabetic. By the way, McDonald’s has some of the safest hamburger on the planet. They are meticulous about testing for e. coli. Read “Fast Food Nation”, if you have the stomach for it.

Here’s a hint for the punctuationally challenged. Type your posting with a word processor and get it right there before pasting it into the window on the website. MS Word checks for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

The important thing to remember is that insulin will direct the body to utilize carbs first. The excess fat and carbs will be squirreled away as fat.

::scratching head:: I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that fat can't be turned into carbs. That's all I said. It seems to be a very common misconception.

Originally posted by 2WheelsGood
::scratching head:: I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that fat can't be turned into carbs. That's all I said. It seems to be a very common misconception.

You're not getting an argument. It must be everyone accepts your idea or has nothing to refute it with. It makes sense that carb, correction, FAT wouldn't wind up a glycogen. Glycogen is just a bunch of glucose molecules all glommed together. I doesn't make sense on the face of it to think fats would easily be transformed into such a compound. But then again, the liver can do some amazing things.

My crusade has been to approach cycling from a public health perspective, namely exercise and not eating junk. There's a lot of hokum out there in the way of good data and practice. As someone once told me, there's no fanatic like the reformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.