Weight loss, lets put it to the test

Fixey

Mar 9, 2004
Ok, I am going to do this simple method,

a) Reduce simple carbs
b) limit Fat as much as possible
c) keep comp. carbs fo a sensible lvl to give me energy to train (useing the old addage that Fat is burned in the flame of Cho.)
d) Do as many KM as humanly possible at about 70 - 80% lvl.

I weigh 120kg, I should wiegh 70 - 80kg acording to the Hieght weight scale, but I say thats bollocks....as a body builder I went on stage at 80.5 and I was gaunt to say the least, so im heading to 85 - 90kg.

It would be good if a few other tubbies about jumped in and tried differant methods at this point.

I want to see what 3 months will do.

Well, when I started cycling again after a long break (15 years), with some body building in between, I was VERY overweight (103kg, 27% bodyfat).

With lots of cycling and SENSIBLE eating (NO ATKINS **** OR OTHER FAD DIETS), I dropped down to 76kg and 10% bodyfat in three months.

Your goals are achievable, and you probably would lose about 20 to 25kg in three months (lean muscle mass WILL increase). As an ex body builder you should know - don't trust the scale, trust the tape measure!!!!

Yes, but is it likely I will increase muscle mass while doing so much aerobic activity? I never trust scales :) I trust the mirror, sounds silly but it is just as acurate as calliper tests imo. Would love to have access to a Submersion test though...

If you do stick to the diet and the cycling, I'd say about 0.5kg per week, or 1kg per week if you really push yourself.
So: 5-10kg is my vote.

Originally posted by Fixey
Yes, but is it likely I will increase muscle mass while doing so much aerobic activity? I never trust scales :) I trust the mirror, sounds silly but it is just as acurate as calliper tests imo. Would love to have access to a Submersion test though...
But how much will you expect lean muscle mass to increase? I doubt it would increase significantly. Also if you are only cycling your upper body muscles may atrophy to some extent; so a potential reduction in lean muscle mass.

Originally posted by 2LAP
But how much will you expect lean muscle mass to increase? I doubt it would increase significantly. Also if you are only cycling your upper body muscles may atrophy to some extent; so a potential reduction in lean muscle mass.

I agree, as a body builder I always counted on 0% net gain when cutting....although this will not be quite the same as cutting, I believe it will have the same effect. Dont know if I would go as far as to say I might loose upper body strength, as a Trackie I still work it during the road season (at the Gym)

You have no chance at even retaining all of your muscle mass, regardless of your weight training. No chance. The only question is how much you'll lose. If you have been on stage, then you are obviously genetically gifted -- most men can't gan more than 5-10 pounds of muscle, even with serious dedication (otherwise everyone would be very muscular!). So, you are likely to lose less mass than someone more genetically typical.

Originally posted by Aztec
You have no chance at even retaining all of your muscle mass, regardless of your weight training. No chance. The only question is how much you'll lose. If you have been on stage, then you are obviously genetically gifted -- most men can't gan more than 5-10 pounds of muscle, even with serious dedication (otherwise everyone would be very muscular!). So, you are likely to lose less mass than someone more genetically typical.

Alot of people dont realise just how hard it is to gain muscle. in my last comp I droped nothing during cut in, which is very unusual, so I bank on a 0% gain, 0% loss...not to say it will happen that way though, body doesnt always react the same.....

OK I’m up for the challenge. I am at 88kg around 22% body fat and I am doing a century June 15. I dropped about 16kg last summer and did my first century but over the winter I packed on a few extra pounds. I would like to get to about 80 kg by ride time and ultimately 77kg, which should put me around 10-12 % body fat. Lets go!! I lost the last 15kg by ridding lots of mile and counting every calorie, limiting total caloric intake to 2000/day (a few more if I had a long ride). My biggest weakness if a nice cold beer (or many cold beers)

Dwayne
:D

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Well, when I started cycling again after a long break (15 years), with some body building in between, I was VERY overweight (103kg, 27% bodyfat).

With lots of cycling and SENSIBLE eating (NO ATKINS **** OR OTHER FAD DIETS), I dropped down to 76kg and 10% bodyfat in three months.>>>>>

I returned to cycling 3 years ago after a 20 year lapse. I was 305 lbs., I now weigh 145. All I did was begin recumbent exercise cycling over an hr per day, and I use my regular bike for almost everything (I dont own a car and do not drive.)

I also eat lowfat, smaller portions, and a HIGH carb diet.

Originally posted by HellonWheels
Originally posted by Julian Radowsky

With lots of cycling and SENSIBLE eating (NO ATKINS **** OR OTHER FAD DIETS), I dropped down to 76kg and 10% bodyfat in three months.>>>>>

I returned to cycling 3 years ago after a 20 year lapse. I was 305 lbs., I now weigh 145. All I did was begin recumbent exercise cycling over an hr per day, and I use my regular bike for almost everything (I dont own a car and do not drive.)

I also eat lowfat, smaller portions, and a HIGH carb diet.

Well done m8. Keep at, thats my intention (again). I like your Sig also:D

Over the last year I have lost a total of 100 lbs. I gained 15 lbs back through December and 1st half of January and then got back on track and am now 85 lbs lighter than exactly one year ago. I started out at 250 lbs and am now 165. I did it by counting calories(weighing and measuring food) and riding lots. I have rode my road bike 5000 miles and my mtb 800 miles since last March 21 when I started. I typically ride 40 to 50 miles on my road bike and eat around 2200 to 2600 calories on these days. On non riding days I eat about 1800 cal. I use a Polar HR monitor to help me keep up with calories burned. It is important not to get in a hurry to lose a lot of weight fast and to make sure you eat enough calories or you will lose upper body muscle. This is a problem I have had, but I do not mind it because I want to start road and mtb racing, and not having a lot of upper body bulk will help.