weight loss

"Skunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> I am not a big build and although I hardly drink beer now, my gut was
> built over many years drinking bitter on a daily basis, and my gut has
> absolutely refused to go, though it has gone down a lot.

<snip>

Once thing which may help - you may find that wheat causes some bloating of
the gut.
If you cut out wheat products for a few days (bread, pasta, pizza etc.) and
eat a lot of brown rice (for the scouring action on your gut) and other
fibre-rich foods this may alter your profile remarkably :)

HTH
Dave R

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:21:37 +0100, David Bertenshaw
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Martin 'MSeries' Newstead wrote:
>
>> As the other replies said, eat low fat food, the diet books say less than 4%
>> fat is good. A HRM is useful at the start to show you what your heart is
>> doing but IMHO you soon learn what your body is doing and don't need it. A
>> Training with a HRM book will show you the zones in which your body uses
>> different source of fuel for the effort. One of the sources is fat so the
>> goal is to ride within your fat burning zone and of course your HRM will
>> tell you this. You may be surprised, you do not need to ride hard and get
>> totally knackered to get some benefit.

>This is what I had read in a HRM book too, but I have also seen long and
>apparently learned articles and threads which say (summarised as far as
>I understand them...) that the 'fat burning zones' idea does not quite
>tell the full story. (It doesn't contradict what you're saying about the
>benefits to be gained of even low intensity exercise, just the concept
>of 'fat burning zones').
>
>As far as I understand it (and please correct me if you know better...)
>
>* exercising in the zone burns more fat as a percentage of the fuel
>sources being used; BUT
>
>* exercising at higher rates burns more calories in total and it is the
>number of calories used (not the source of the calories) which really
>counts in weight loss.

Fresh from my insufficiently pedantic attempt to set up u.r.c.pedants

<pedant.
ITWYM is is that when exercising at a higher rate, calories are burnt
at a higher rate.

The key difference is that total calories burnt = time spent
exercising x how hard you exercise.

So you'd burn the same calories if you sprint 100 yards as hard as you
can, or walk it.

The difference would be how long it took to cover the hundred yards
and so burn the <however many> calories.

The practical difference this makes is that to burn the most calories,
you want to out for as long as you have time for, and go as fast* as
you can manage to go without burning out before your time is up.

(And this doesn't mean find the biggest hill to freewheel down :)
Instead of 'fast' here, I /really/ mean do the hardest work you can.

In fact, for fat-burning, feel free to just keep going up and up and
up and up the steepest hill you can find. Even if your trip computer
doesn't give you whizzy top speeds, it'll be concentrated hard work)

</pedant>
--
Cheers,
Euan

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:02:40 GMT, Velvet <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>David Bertenshaw wrote:
>

>> This is what I had read in a HRM book too, but I have also seen long and
>> apparently learned articles and threads which say (summarised as far as
>> I understand them...) that the 'fat burning zones' idea does not quite
>> tell the full story. (It doesn't contradict what you're saying about the
>> benefits to be gained of even low intensity exercise, just the concept
>> of 'fat burning zones').
>>
>> As far as I understand it (and please correct me if you know better...)
>>
>> * exercising in the zone burns more fat as a percentage of the fuel
>> sources being used; BUT
>>
>> * exercising at higher rates burns more calories in total and it is the
>> number of calories used (not the source of the calories) which really
>> counts in weight loss.
>>
>> Therefore while it's easy to do too much and 'burn out', you don't need
>> to worry too much about staying in the range of the 'fat burning zone'.
>>

>Yep, this is how I understand it to work too - but the thing is you can
>sustain exercise at the aerobic levels for a LOT LOT longer than you can
>at the higher zones - I can do hours and hours of the former and burn
>2600 calories (sunday's ride!) but can only manage brief forays into the
>anaerobic zone (or close to it) of maybe a few minutes each time, which
>won't burn nearly as much in total, simply cos of the reduced time I can
>do it for.

Yep - even if sprinting burns an extra 25%* of calories per minute,
the fact that you can't keep it up for long and soon need to rest
means that you oon stop burning calories.

Whereas, at sustainable pace, you can certainly last for more than
25% longer than you can sprint, and so you'll end up burning more
calories in total.

* a figure I plucked out of the air.

--

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> writes:

>The practical difference this makes is that to burn the most calories,
>you want to out for as long as you have time for, and go as fast* as
>you can manage to go without burning out before your time is up.

The practical translation is: you want to pick an activity that you will
be able to do on a very regular basis for a longer period of time, which
is much easier if it is something you actually enjoy doing.
One session a week that kills you and makes it more of an effort every
time to go out and actually do it won't burn as much as something which
becomes part of your daily life without really noticing it, like
commuting.

Can't remember if it was here or one of the other newsgroups where someone
posted a link to a survey about exercise and I gave up after the first
section. I couldn't answer how much and how long I exercise. I cycle to
work, I go for a paddle when the weather is nice, I walk up hills,
sometimes go for a run or some orienteering, and holidays are a weeks
cycling or ski touring. Maybe the odd class of jumping up and down.

An active lifestyle is easier for me to maintain than focussed exercise.
Sort of similar to eating: making sustainable changes to your diet will
have more effect long term than crash diets.

Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin I
just ate ;)

On 28 Jul 2004 12:54:49 GMT, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin
> just ate ;)

Depends whether you ate an English muffin or an American one!

Colin

Roos Eisma wrote:

> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin I
> just ate ;)

Take in the ascent of West Park Road as one of your route options, and
very probably!

I'm tubbier than I really ought to be, but many friends seem to think
I'm very fit and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to make a living doing ads
for Michelin if I had a more sedantry lifestyle. But like Roos, aside
from a few classes of jumping up and down most of what I do for exercise
is just getting about as far as I'm concerned.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:02:55 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2004 12:54:49 GMT, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin
>> just ate ;)

> Depends whether you ate an English muffin

Colin,

Don't you think you're treading a bit dangerously? Roos does live north of
the border. The muffin might well have been *Scottish*.

;-)

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:37:01 +0100, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Colin,
>
> Don't you think you're treading a bit dangerously? Roos does live north
> of
> the border. The muffin might well have been *Scottish*.

No way, the Scots could never have invented such a fine bread product as
the muffin. It's all haggis and deep fried Mars Bars up there,...I've
heard.

Colin

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> writes:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:02:55 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

>> On 28 Jul 2004 12:54:49 GMT, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin
>>> just ate ;)

>> Depends whether you ate an English muffin

>Colin,

>Don't you think you're treading a bit dangerously? Roos does live north of
>the border. The muffin might well have been *Scottish*.

I couldn't tell from its accent where it came from. It wasn't battered and
deep-fried though, which makes me think it probably wasn't Scottish.

Roos

On 28/7/04 1:35 pm, in article [email protected],
"Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In fact, for fat-burning, feel free to just keep going up and up and
> up and up the steepest hill you can find. Even if your trip computer
> doesn't give you whizzy top speeds, it'll be concentrated hard work)

Works for me.. Up and down Dundee Law.. If you meet someone not paying
attention on the descent you have the potential to lose a lot of weight very
quickly.. and get a large laundry bill.

...d

On 28/7/04 1:54 pm, in article [email protected],
"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin I
> just ate ;)

We calculated that running up the Law from the university and back was about
equivalent to consuming a Mars bar, so possibly not. If you do the shopping
in the centre and then ride home with that, then it would compensate for it.

...d

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:37:01 +0100, Michael MacClancy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Don't you think you're treading a bit dangerously? Roos does live
>> north of
>> the border. The muffin might well have been *Scottish*.

> No way, the Scots could never have invented such a fine bread product
> as the muffin. It's all haggis and deep fried Mars Bars up
> there,...I've heard.

That's the English for you. They've _heard_, and they're quite prepared
to repeat the calumny, but they've never been and they've never seen
and most significantly they've never tasted. Never mind. All the more
for us!

A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

> On 28/7/04 1:54 pm, in article [email protected],
> "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin I
>> just ate ;)

> We calculated that running up the Law from the university and back was about
> equivalent to consuming a Mars bar, so possibly not. If you do the shopping
> in the centre and then ride home with that, then it would compensate for it.

A Mars bar is about 300 calories IIRC. I guesstimate that I use about
10 calories a minute doing moderate exersize.... so I need half an
hour for a Mars bar's worth.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

> That's the English for you. They've _heard_, and they're quite prepared
> to repeat the calumny, but they've never been and they've never seen
> and most significantly they've never tasted. Never mind. All the more
> for us!

Hey, I've been over the border once or twice. Last time we stopped in
Dalkeith at a chippie. My two non-veg friends had a fish supper, the
veggie option was a vegetable pakora supper. Who says the Scots don't have
a sense of humour?

Colin
PS I love cranachan.

Gawnsoft wrote:

> The practical difference this makes is that to burn the most calories,
> you want to out for as long as you have time for, and go as fast* as
> you can manage to go without burning out before your time is up.
>
> (And this doesn't mean find the biggest hill to freewheel down :)
> Instead of 'fast' here, I /really/ mean do the hardest work you can.
>
> In fact, for fat-burning, feel free to just keep going up and up and
> up and up the steepest hill you can find. Even if your trip computer
> doesn't give you whizzy top speeds, it'll be concentrated hard work)

And that's where I get bored. And knackered. But I agree with your
comments - the fat burning zone is a fine idea to persuade people not to
give up exercising - they can still lose weight by doing some (a lot?)
of cycling at a low rate, if that's what they're capable of / wanting to
do. It's just that if they can go any faster, for a reasonable length of
time, they'll lose more. A question of priorities and balance, as always.

David

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:42:09 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:37:01 +0100, Michael MacClancy
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Colin,
>>
>> Don't you think you're treading a bit dangerously? Roos does live north
>> of
>> the border. The muffin might well have been *Scottish*.

>No way, the Scots could never have invented such a fine bread product as
>the muffin. It's all haggis and deep fried Mars Bars up there,...I've
>heard.

Hmmm - you're not aware of Scottish baking?

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On 28/7/04 6:07 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul Rudin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Roos (wondering if the 10 min cycle back home will compensate the muffin I
>>> just ate ;)

>> We calculated that running up the Law from the university and back was about
>> equivalent to consuming a Mars bar, so possibly not. If you do the shopping
>> in the centre and then ride home with that, then it would compensate for it.

> A Mars bar is about 300 calories IIRC. I guesstimate that I use about
> 10 calories a minute doing moderate exersize.... so I need half an
> hour for a Mars bar's worth.

Calculated purely on potential energy gain with a conversion factor of 0.5.

The Law is about 110m above the university. Total height gain is about 120m
(there is a dip in between). I weigh 90 kilos. These can all be approximated
to 100,100 and 10 for the force of gravity to give,

PE=mh = 100x100x10 = 100,000.

For a 300 kJoule mars bar, with a conversion factor of 0.5, that leaves 50kJ
over for the actual running bit aside from the ascent.

Someone else can fill in the correct details for kJ for a Mars bar.

...d

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

> >> We calculated that running up the Law from the university and back was about
> >> equivalent to consuming a Mars bar, so possibly not. If you do the shopping
> >> in the centre and then ride home with that, then it would compensate for it.

> > A Mars bar is about 300 calories IIRC. I guesstimate that I use about
> > 10 calories a minute doing moderate exersize.... so I need half an
> > hour for a Mars bar's worth.

> Calculated purely on potential energy gain with a conversion factor of 0.5.
>
> The Law is about 110m above the university. Total height gain is about 120m
> (there is a dip in between). I weigh 90 kilos. These can all be approximated
> to 100,100 and 10 for the force of gravity to give,
>
> PE=mh = 100x100x10 = 100,000.
>
> For a 300 kJoule mars bar, with a conversion factor of 0.5, that leaves 50kJ
> over for the actual running bit aside from the ascent.
>
> Someone else can fill in the correct details for kJ for a Mars bar.

About 3-400 Kcal. i.e. 12-1500 KJ

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:34:06 +0000 (UTC), paul
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now I've bought my road bike, and I can ride it uphills without falling
>off, I want to do some serious training. Not for competition, but to
>lose sopme weight. I've tried dieting, and I realise that I will need to
>eat properly is I put some miles in, but I want to try and rescue my
>heart before it becomes too cloged up, and doing it byu food alone
>hasn't worked for me in the past. Are there any online guides for this
>sort of thing, or good books that people have tried. Any guidlines would
>be helpful (like 'do I need a HRM?')
>
>TiA

Well my diet plan this time appears to be working. Combining exercise
and a more careful diet has enabled me to lose 2.75 stone in 7 weeks.
However I started believe it or not at 26 stone. I'm currently doing
most of my exercise on a indoors exercise bike. I'm also cycling but
only small trips. Even though I've improved my fitness enormously I'm
still a massive weight to shift about. Hence the indoor exercise bike
is easier as it goes nowhere. However the balance will shift towards
external cycling as I lose more weight.

My food consumption previously was giant portions and lots of them.
Mainly curries and sweet things. I'm now on a diet with sugar and fat
massively reduced. I'm still treating myself though at times but those
times could be every five days instead of every 3 hours (chocolate
bars at work).

I drink lots of water now which seems to act as an appetite
suppressant.

I actually lost my weight by losing a stone in the first week but then
losing about 2kg every week after that.

Effectively I've lost in weight 17 bags of sugar (1kg bags) and yet I
still have so far to go.

My job is fairly active in manufacturing so this is helping me too.

Commuting to work is my main goal for weight loss but that is still a
few months off yet. A 6-7 mile journey each way.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:06:19 +0100, Martin Wilson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well my diet plan this time appears to be working. Combining exercise
>and a more careful diet has enabled me to lose 2.75 stone in 7 weeks.

Well done. good work. I hope you can keep it going. I'm sure you'll
continue to see the rewards.