Weight Loss

sgs4566

May 7, 2004
Hello,

My Question is in regard to gaining weight.. when.. I would think I should be losing? To make this short I ride my road bike here in Michigan around 2000 miles a summer. I never lose any weight and I have noticed weight gain. I don't eat any garbage food what so ever. I'm 38 and have always had weight trouble. My weight is 240 and my best ever was 205, I had to starve to get to that. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Steve Smith

Originally posted by sgs4566
Hello,

My Question is in regard to gaining weight.. when.. I would think I should be losing? To make this short I ride my road bike here in Michigan around 2000 miles a summer. I never lose any weight and I have noticed weight gain. I don't eat any garbage food what so ever. I'm 38 and have always had weight trouble. My weight is 240 and my best ever was 205, I had to starve to get to that. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Steve Smith

Steve, without knowing anything about you, you could have glandular issues or just lifestyle issues. Junk food is not the only factor. How much you eat, when you eat and what you eat are all issues.

The gain in weight is probably due to two issues. First of all muscle gain. Muscle is heavier than fat. and the second reason could be that your body will naturally crave more food and lots of carbs, especially just after a ride.

Try eating your carbs within a couple hours before your ride, and stick to protein and bananas after your ride. Pay attention to the amount your eating. Start with a smaller amount then what you think. Eat it, wait 10 minutes and drink some water, if you are still hungry, then keep eating. Chances are you won't be

While riding, stop the three meals a day and go to 5 or 6 small portion snacks.

Anyway, without getting too in detail in one post, try these things for two weeks, and see what happens, you will be able to start telling what your body needs. You may also want to talk to your doctor.

I hope this helped at all, and good luck, many people have these same issues.

Jdawg
Jdawg

Thank you very much and I will take your advice and give it a shot. Again.. Thank you. Steve Smith

One thing you might want to do also, that is if you haven't yet, is get a heart rate monitor. This way you can see if you're not working hard enough or if you're doing too much. Good luck

It is sometimes hard to see results quickly; it often takes months to see lasting results. The best way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn. You have become accustomed to a certain intake and when you start to reduce this, your body will naturally deduce that this is a lean time and do it's best to store fat. After a period of adjustment, it will accept that the new lower caloric intake is natural and burn the fat to help sustain you.

Track your calorie balance with a program such as available at www.CaloriesMadeSimple.com which can record your intake and your burned calories. Even easier if you have a heart rate monitor that can computer calories burned.

Go for the long term and you should have great results in 6 months if you can keep your calorie balance lower than what it takes to just maintain your current weight. You will most likely feel hungry a lot of the time, but this is the price for getting back to a normal weight. 6 smaller meals a day helps.

Originally posted by concord
One thing you might want to do also, that is if you haven't yet, is get a heart rate monitor. This way you can see if you're not working hard enough or if you're doing too much. Good luck
Good Idea. Thank you.

Hi, totally relate to your issues. I am a couple of year younger (35) but had the same issue. I recently started actually focussing on attempting to lose the weight by using a three pronged attack, and six weeks in am 14lbs down so something is working.

Basic lessons I have learned so far.
1. I used to work out with my heart rate WAY to high so have had to slow down to max of 75% of maximum hear rate.
2. Despite thinking I was avoiding rubbish, read the ingredients carefully. If sugar is near the top of the list is is not good for you, also avoid too much carb, balance the meals. Do not starve yourself, body protects itself by storing it; aka fat.
3. By following the advice in a book called Fit for the Fast Track by a couple called McGannon. Basic is 5 minute (yes 5) in morning, good walk after each meal.

It may not and probably will not work for everyone but I am in danger of becoming an evangelist, it is working for me.
Next stop is the London Tri-athlon.

Hope things improve for you.

Thank you very much for your help and I hope you keep having success (the heart rate thing that's interesting) Take Care.

Apart from all the good conventional wisdom about calory counting, food quality etc, there may also be issues with sensitivity to certain food types. Certain people react differently to certain foods, so you may find that your weight issues won't be helped by excessive training, but by finding out what is causing them? For instance I know someone who gave up dairy foods and instantly started losing weight despite still eating the same amount. Same thing for carbohydrates (for all you atkins people out there).

Whatever the answer, the riding will help build up your heart, muscles and general fitness, which can only be good for you even if the excess weight doesn't go away.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of cutting out dairy to see what might happen, now.. I most definitely will try that. Thanks again. Steve

Don't cut out the dairy products all together, how can you have a bowl of Cheerios without milk? Or macaroni and cheese without the cheese? Just ease up on it or go to low fat stuff. This is MHO :rolleyes:

I am trying Atkins. So far, I am losing about a pound a day (1 kg every 2 days), but I ride pretty far too (50 - 90 miles a day). I used to think a high carb diet was the way to go. The media hammered that into us in the 90's, but I don't believe it anymore. I think carbohydrates make your blood sugar gyrate, and they don't seem to give me the extra horsepower I thought I was getting. This is evident even today, when I rode 68 miles and had a lot of power to spare in the end, and I had consumed less than 20 grams of carbs in the previous 24 hours. And then, guess what? Right after the ride, I ate a few almonds and some canned pumpkin (total about 10 grams of carbs), and I quickly lost my appetite. The meal I then cooked went into the refrigerator to be eaten later tonight or tomorrow. I know that if I had resorted to my old ways, I would have "inhaled" a whole lot of carbos after the ride, and then I would have been hungry for more. Well, that's great if you are underweight and trying to put on weight. But if you want to lose, as most people in developed nations do, it's not a good idea.

You don't see the full benefit of Atkins until you follow it to the letter. Going halfway on carbs just won't cut it. You have to minimize them according to his plan. And make sure you eat plenty of low carb vegetables, like greens. He recommends avocado too, in limited quantities.

A visit to the doctor sounds like sound advice before embarking on this plan. I didn't do this because I would be very surprised if he told me no. I am not out of shape. In fact, I am very fit. It's just that I'm carrying too much weight. Now I see it melting off, and I have absolutely no hunger cravings. I have lost weight with will power using a high carb, low fat diet in the past. You don't need will power under the Atkins plan. You simply don't get very hungry. I have to remind myself to eat.

I agree about the diet making it easy to lose weight. I lost 40# last year just cutting the carbs back to 20 a day, then maintained the weight loss by keeping the carbs around 40 a day.

Then, I started consuming carbs again...pasta, rice, wheat breads, sweets (biggest downfall!)...and I gained 10+# back in a short amount of time. I can't seem to find the motivation to get back on the lo-carb diet again, but I know that would get this weight off me! I LIVED on grilled chicken salad last year! I need to get back to that and get this weight back off!

Hello, Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. 50 miles a day! wow! I ride 25 miles a day and after three days my legs have pain in them so I have to stop. I wish I could keep going.. any suggestions. Thanks. have a great day riding. Steve:)

Originally posted by sgs4566
Hello, Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. 50 miles a day! wow! I ride 25 miles a day and after three days my legs have pain in them so I have to stop. I wish I could keep going.. any suggestions. Thanks. have a great day riding. Steve:)

Yeah! I don't know if you follow stage races or Grand Tour events, like the Tour de France, the Tour of Spain, or the Tour of Italy (Bugno). If you do, you may be aware that all the pros get a massage right after the event. It only takes a few minutes, but this busts up the lactic acid buildup in their muscles and this is then easily eliminated by blood circulation. This way, they can ride again the next day without pain. You can do the same thing yourself. It's not hard to do. When I get home from a ride, the first thing I want to do is to get in the shower. While I am there, if I have any soreness (I don't even get any lately), I take some soap and lather it onto my thighs. Then I do a quick massage, probably only about a minute or two on each leg. This seems to work wonders. You get the double effect of the massage plus the hot water which makes it work better. You will see that as you get in better shape by being consistent in your training and varying your workouts that the soreness won't happen much. If I have been riding a lot of hills, and then start feeling sore, I'll ride on the flats for as long as it takes to lose the soreness, whether it's a day or two or a week. In this way, I can keep making progress. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by trekchic
I agree about the diet making it easy to lose weight. I lost 40# last year just cutting the carbs back to 20 a day, then maintained the weight loss by keeping the carbs around 40 a day.

Then, I started consuming carbs again...pasta, rice, wheat breads, sweets (biggest downfall!)...and I gained 10+# back in a short amount of time. I can't seem to find the motivation to get back on the lo-carb diet again, but I know that would get this weight off me! I LIVED on grilled chicken salad last year! I need to get back to that and get this weight back off!

You must be a little bit like me in a way. I think that carbohydrates are addictive. I don't know where the threshold is above which this addiction would take hold, but I have a feeling it's not too much. When I first started doing this Atkins, I looked at a can of peaches the second day, and I had an incredible urge to eat it. Then I considered that I had some leftover meat and greens in the refrigerator. I thought about eating those instead, and it was then that I realized that I wasn't even hungry. The urge to eat the peaches was merely a craving. Now I look at that can of peaches, and it doesn't have such a grip on me. But I suspect that if I were eating more carbs every day, it would. I don't know where the break point will be whereby I will be able to maintain my weight without inducing these carb cravings again. If need be, I will just not go out of the "induction" phase (ie, stay permanently below 20 grams of carbs a day). I am afraid I may be like that. In that case, I will just add more oil to my food to maintain my weight instead of eating more carbohydrate. I like safflower oil (Saffola) because it is high in vitamin E (25% RDA per tablespoon), and it also has half the saturated fat of olive oil, which is itself already low in sats. If I do this, I know that I will be able to maintain this diet. I realize though that carbos are everywhere and that I will have to avoid them almost 100% if I am to easily keep my weight down without cravings. When I hear what you say, I become ever more leery about increasing my carb intake even a little.

Thanks a lot for that advice, very helpful, I will try that. Yea, Iv been watching and following the races. I saw Lance getting his massage on the Lance Chronicles. Again, thanks alot for your advice. :D

I can so share so share the pain here. I'm preparing for a stage race at the end of August, and it covers some nice tall mountains on the course. We're talking 7 stages in 5 days. I'm a big rider...a very big rider...1.87cm tall, heavy bone structure and all the wrong things for cycling :)

To cut a long story short, I was 101.5kg's around 12 April 2004. I went to see a dietician at University of Cape Town's Sport Science Institute (Tim Noaks's domain *grin*). Anyway, we worked out the amount of calories I need a day, and looked at what I eat etc. My training is four times a week indoors on a Cardigus unit, using wattage & HR for 80mins a session (avg about 250w), and on weekends I don't do anything less than 200km's.

I haven't had a soft drink in 5 weeks, switched to skim milk, use the correct protien / carbo drink mixes, and generally lived almost the life of Kafka's Hunger Artist. Last week I was down to 96.6kg's and very motivated. The past weekend was a good one, with 71km's on one day, and 126km's the next day (including some decent climbing). I step on the scale, and I'm back up to 98kg's.

My question...how the *&^% does a person stay motivated if the results aren't there. I might as well go back to soft drinks, McD's and keep training....

Originally posted by Fooz
I can so share so share the pain here. I'm preparing for a stage race at the end of August, and it covers some nice tall mountains on the course. We're talking 7 stages in 5 days. I'm a big rider...a very big rider...1.87cm tall, heavy bone structure and all the wrong things for cycling :)

To cut a long story short, I was 101.5kg's around 12 April 2004. I went to see a dietician at University of Cape Town's Sport Science Institute (Tim Noaks's domain *grin*). Anyway, we worked out the amount of calories I need a day, and looked at what I eat etc. My training is four times a week indoors on a Cardigus unit, using wattage & HR for 80mins a session (avg about 250w), and on weekends I don't do anything less than 200km's.

I haven't had a soft drink in 5 weeks, switched to skim milk, use the correct protien / carbo drink mixes, and generally lived almost the life of Kafka's Hunger Artist. Last week I was down to 96.6kg's and very motivated. The past weekend was a good one, with 71km's on one day, and 126km's the next day (including some decent climbing). I step on the scale, and I'm back up to 98kg's.

My question...how the *&^% does a person stay motivated if the results aren't there. I might as well go back to soft drinks, McD's and keep training....

"Correct" is something which I suppose is subject to debate. You can be correct in that you follow that docs advice to a T, but correct would be a diet that allows you to continue to progress, lose weight, and continue to get stronger. Clearly, something is not correct, otherwise you would be cheering, not complaining. I don't have the answers; I am searhing too. But some things I am discovering now are blowing my mind. One thing I notice is that you are now consuming skim milk. I bet that health pro has identified sat fat as the enemy, and this is why it is recommended. Well, if you drink skim milk, likely you will drink more of it than whole milk because it has a lot fewer calories per cup than whole milk. Just compare labels. You will see. On the other hand, the sugar (lactose) content per cup is the same (actually a little higher per cup with the skim because the fat is not taking up some of the volume anymore since it's removed). So what's the result? More carbohydrates in the form of milk sugar (lactose). You have thus increased your carbohydrate intake at the expense of your fat intake. This will cause you to gain weight, if not in the short run, in the long run it will. Some people can go years on a high carb/low fat diet and not gain weight. But as they age, the insulin sensitivity will likely decline to fight the increased glucose levels in the blood during all of this carb loading. The result is then insulin resistance and fat storage. In other words, the carbs you eat will then be stored as fat and to some extent burned off, but the fat on your body will continue to increase.

Anyway, it's a long explanation. If you want to read a really good article, check this out. http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm#

I wouldn't get into the supplements or anything. Just read what he says about diet. If you want to check up on this, there are many studies that describe the Atkins diet. This is basically what is being described here. The truth is, and this is the biggest thing that blew my mind, you don't need to consume carbohydrates to perform well in endurance or non endurance events. That's a myth. In fact, you will increase your insulin sensitivity (beneficial) if you minimize carbohydrate consumption. Carbohydrates should be thought of as evils which must be consumed with only the most nutrient dense foods. So you won't be able to avoid them entirely, but you will be able to dramatically lower them. You may wonder how you are going to get your calcium. Well, what about canned fish? You can eat the bones, and they provide a lot of calcium without all of that milk lactose you are consuming. I have a pressure cooker, and so I can easily eat chicken bones and pork bones. I don't need to drink milk to get the calcium. I don't eat beef bones though because of the very remote chance that there may be mad cow disease (I think this is really more caution than is probably justified).

Anyway, please read that article and more on this low carb approach. Maybe after you read enough, you will have some hints for me. Consider that although low carb may not make you faster in the short run, it will probably not hurt much even when you are adapting (I know this because I am improving my riding on the diet). But in the long run, if you lose 20 or more kg of body mass, that 250 watts is going to go a lot farther toward getting you down the road faster. On the flats, you will have significantly lower rolling resistance, and in the hills, you will have far less weight to tug up. The hill performance will see the greatest improvement as your weight drops.

If you have negative feedback about what I am writing about, I would appreciate that too. I am learning as well.