Weight Minimum for Bike?

juvel01 said:
For the record "he" is a "she" and I'm not posting a photo. Great, so now I'm thinking that they didn't measure my inseam correctly (which was done quite awhile ago at a bike shop when I got fit for my mtn bike (which is a 15.5) and I have been using that number ever since).

If 34" isnt right then I'm going to need to rethink my crank AND frame (which I already bought) as we used that measurement when spec'ing everything out. Well, that just made my day, ugh.

I am honestly asking for opinions on all this, I do appreciate all the feedback.
The inseam measurement could be correct, but it is easy to recheck. Women do tend to have longer legs and arms for their height than men do.

juvel01 said:
For the record "he" is a "she" and I'm not posting a photo. Great, so now I'm thinking that they didn't measure my inseam correctly (which was done quite awhile ago at a bike shop when I got fit for my mtn bike (which is a 15.5) and I have been using that number ever since).

If 34" isnt right then I'm going to need to rethink my crank AND frame (which I already bought) as we used that measurement when spec'ing everything out. Well, that just made my day, ugh.

I am honestly asking for opinions on all this, I do appreciate all the feedback.

You probably should remeasure the inseam just to be sure, but for a 5'1" person who is "all leg" with a short torso, you probably do need a really small frame size to get a top tube short enough to fit your torso. As you know, you can compensate several centimeters for the short seat tube with a longer seatpost, but are limited to only a few cm of adjustment with stem changes. Crank arm should probably be recalculated also. A 34" inseam would give at least 175mm and up to 180mm+ crank arm length depending on the formula that you use, and that seems a bit long for a 5"1" person.

What size cranks are you riding on your MTB? For road should be the same or maybe 2.5mm less if you are a high cadence spinner.

juvel01 said:

It doesn't really matter what your inseam is unless you're buying a frame on-line and can't actually ride it. What matters is that the frame fits you as well as possible; actually sitting on it and riding it around with someone knowledgeable watching is a much better way to determine that. Same thing for crank length, stem, bar width, etc. Anyway, you're a perfect candidate for a professional bike fit - for a road bike.

juvel01 said:
Why fishy, Bluecann? :confused: Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure I have the complete parts list, did my grams to ounces properly but I'll double check it.
it wasn't just the weight of the bike i was wondering about. it was the culmination of all the other numbers that had me scratching my head. the less than 100 pounds, 34" inseam, 43cm bike, and 12lbs just didn't add up.:confused:

now that i know you're female i can picture it in my mind and it makes more sence.;) i do think you should remeasure your inseam though. my wife who is a tick under 5'11" has a 34" inseam and i consider her to have long legs. i am 6' with a 32" inseam so if your inseam really is 34" and youre 5'1" you are a bike fitters nightmare:D

you are on a womans bike, yes?

Actually, I'm not on a womens specific bike because the ones I tried were all uncomfortable for me (I dont know why). Then I tried an XS TCR and although I had to jack the seatpost up, it felt like it was made for me. I ended up buying the TCR T-Mobile frame because I wanted to build my own bike.

The last bike I had (outside of my mtn bike and my current OCR) was a Bianchi 48cm cross bike (actually the frame was a Bianchi, the rest of it was custom built). The reach was just too long even with an uber short stem. On that bike I had a 172.5 crank. I ended up selling it because I just couldnt get the reach to fit me, but the crank felt ok. My mtn bike is a 172.5.

The other hard part for me is that I have fairly wide shoulders for my frame so since I tend to want to be on a wider bar and that brings my stem even shorter.

Yes, I've been told I am a bike fitters nightmare and I am going to remeasure my inseam.

Thanks for all the input, it has been very helpful!

juvel01 said:
Actually, I'm not on a womens specific bike because the ones I tried were all uncomfortable for me (I dont know why). Then I tried an XS TCR and although I had to jack the seatpost up, it felt like it was made for me. I ended up buying the TCR T-Mobile frame because I wanted to build my own bike.

The last bike I had (outside of my mtn bike and my current OCR) was a Bianchi 48cm cross bike (actually the frame was a Bianchi, the rest of it was custom built). The reach was just too long even with an uber short stem. On that bike I had a 172.5 crank. I ended up selling it because I just couldnt get the reach to fit me, but the crank felt ok. My mtn bike is a 172.5.

The other hard part for me is that I have fairly wide shoulders for my frame so since I tend to want to be on a wider bar and that brings my stem even shorter.

Yes, I've been told I am a bike fitters nightmare and I am going to remeasure my inseam.

Thanks for all the input, it has been very helpful!
the reason i asked about the womans frame is because i was asking my LBS owner about a bike for my wife. i was wondering since her & i are about the same size, if she would be comfortable on my mans frame.

he told me women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsoes than men so a womans frame is designed to fit their longer legs but still allow a shorter reach to the handle bars. he delved more into the actual specifics of the frame design but i kind of glazed over and don't remember them.

he recommended that although my bike could be adjusted to fit her by raising the seat, possibly moving it forward, & putting a shorter handlebar stem on it, ultimately she would be better off on a womans frame for a proper or truer fit.

bluecann said:
the reason i asked about the womans frame is because i was asking my LBS owner about a bike for my wife. i was wondering since her & i are about the same size, if she would be comfortable on my mans frame.

he told me women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsoes than men so a womans frame is designed to fit their longer legs but still allow a shorter reach to the handle bars. he delved more into the actual specifics of the frame design but i kind of glazed over and don't remember them.

he recommended that although my bike could be adjusted to fit her by raising the seat, possibly moving it forward, & putting a shorter handlebar stem on it, ultimately she would be better off on a womans frame for a proper or truer fit.
My daughter had the same problem. At 5'5", her legs are nearly as long as her 5'9" sister's. Her sister fits well on a men's frame, but she found the woman's frame to be much better for her long legs and short reach.